“a great find”

Surco
Ranked #664 of 1,008 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Peruvian
Reviewed 20 May 2014

we had the pleasure last night of dining at surco--a relatively new Peruvian restaurant on cottage grove road. pleasant service, varied menu. but the best was the food--beautifully presented and tasting great. we tried quite a few dishes among us and would definitely go back. they were unfortunately out of almost every bottle of wine i ordered, but that didn't stop us from picking something to drink. parking is on their property so that's easy as well.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Went to Surco for Valentine's dinner, so that my be the reason for our problems. Service was slow even though they were not packed while we were there later in the night. The ceviche was lacking citrus, therefore the fish was literally completely raw. So I am not sure if they were running out of supplies in the kitchen, or time was not allowed to soak the fish... not sure? But something was wrong, good thing the fish was fresh. Also when ordering the ceviche seems to be an entrée pricewise, but it is not more then an appetizer. (Actually ceviche appetizers ordered elsewhere were about double the portion size.)

My date had the pollo la parrilla with plantain fries as the side, this was delicious, the chicken was flavorful and the cilantro sauce paired with it was perfect.

So we will probably be going back for a second try, since half our meal was good and maybe they were having an off night for service. Besides I can't get enough Inka cola, yum!

Reviewed 17 January 2014

Went to lunch, and the food choices were varied, interesting taste combinations. Great desserts. I would go back - the sauces were great. Each ordered a different sandwich, and everyone loved the sauces, couldn't figure out the recipes. Always fun to eat new food, very well prepared.
It is a long drive from where I live but I would go back. It reminded me of restaurants in Peru and Mendoza as well.
515 Cottage Grove Rd
Madison, WI 53716
Neighborhood: Lake Edge

(608) 467-6814

Reviewed 5 October 2013

Went to Surco the other night and had an excellent dinner. The service was a little slow, but in speaking with the waitress, she indicated that they had just had a good write up and had been swamped ever since. It was worth the wait.

I had the chicken and my brother had the lamb. The flavors were fascinating to say the least. When you think South American cuisine, you usually think bold, chili laden flavors. These dishes were wonderfully prepared and there were definitely chili's, but the flavor was not a "bang in the face" type chili flavor. The taste was subtle with the fragrance and the grassy, floral notes of the chili, with little "bang" or earthy notes. The lamb on the other hand had more earthy, spicy notes but was still nuanced and subtle, not bold and abrasive.

Make sure you have some time to spend when you go and be adventurous when you order. You won't be disappointed.