“More like Lame-flower”

Ranked #62 of 63 Hotels in Madison
A TripAdvisor Member
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 22 May 2006

This place is pretty much awful... but it makes a good story.
As my taxi rounded the corner and pulled in to the hotel parking lot I asked the driver what this part of town was like because I am a young woman and would be by myself. He laughed and said "Well, the cops are on patrol all the time so things are getting a little safer. But I wouldn't go outside alone" This was not what I wanted to hear. I grabbed my bags and circled the hotel a couple times looking for the front desk. Eventually a polite, but very drunk, man approached me and directed me inside. I found the front desk tucked neatly between two pool tables, decorated with neon beer signs with thick smoke hanging in the air. Or was this the bar? Yes and Yes. The front desk IS the bar! Who'd a thunk? Fast forward to a few minutes later. I got my key and went to my room. The light didn't work. It kinda smelled funny. There was no thermostat or controls on the heater (keep in mind you're in Wisconsin). The bathroom light didn't work either but I did get a kick out of seeing one tiny shampoo bottle set in the middle of a long metal shelf above the toilet (with no tank). I think the one thing that was most perplexing was the chair in my room. Not because there was no desk to go with it, but because it was so badly stained and I could actually differentiate between food stains and bodily fluid stains. I threw a sheet over it and proped it against the door under the handle. I spent most of the night awake because the drunks from the bar/front desk were gathering in the parking lot having a grand time, hooting and hollering. I checked out the next morning.

• Stayed: April 2006, travelled on business
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 27 January 2006

The Mayflower is cheap. Really cheap, like $39/night on Saturday night. And you get pretty much what you'd expect in a 2-star place. Loud highway noise (W. Beltline is 100 feet away), screaming baby in the next room, register for your room in a smoky bar. But you do get a decent bed, TV, and fridge in the room. My cousin stayed at the Super 8 just down the road, and it was much nicer if you can spend the extra money.

• Stayed: January 2006