“EXCELLENT long-term stay hotel”

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Madison Fitchburg
Ranked #37 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed 11 December 2012

This review is probably a bit overdue but I was a guest at this hotel for seven months. I used it as a one-bedroom apartment for me and my family during our relocation to Madison.

The hotel and room were very clean and up-to-date. Great location, with Copps, a video store, and restaurants all within walking distance, although Fish Hatchery Road can be a bit of a pain at rush hour.

My only "complaint" about the room was the (fake) wood floors in the kitchen area, which were extremely noisy and transmitted a lot of sound. When the maids were cleaning the room above me (or if there was a kid in the room) it sounded like I was underneath a bowling alley with all the banging around.

Very friendly staff, I appreciated the underground parking, and their sale's manager made me a fantastic deal! My kid loved the swimming pool and hot tub.

Room Tip: They have a party room... try to get a room away from that.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Oldsnwbrdr

Reviewed 19 November 2012

Very convenient location to University, far enough away but still only a 10 minute drive. Try the unique restaurants and shops along South Park St- about 8 minutes.
Room was clean and large, but the walls a bit thin. The refrigerator was noisy and the toilet ran a long time. The front desk accepted my issues on these items respectfully and with concern while I was leaving after my one night stay, hopefully they get fixed.
Hot tub was nice. Pool small, but hey at least they have an indoor pool! Workout room also small but enough equipment to get the job done.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2012

Came here to stay for a badger game...11am saturday badger game so stayed saturday night. Check In was fast, front desk was friendly, rooms were clean. Location was great as it was near a grocery store, great dane restaurant, panera and easy access to get downtown for the game.

Only thing is the website talks about shuttle up to 5 miles and he would not shuttle us. Said it was at the airport and wouldnt be back. I would maybe say this should be updated on the website. We were going to a restaurant and not to the game. We had to find alternate transportation which was not easy.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 August 2012

Note that my rating has been adjusted for hotel class relativity. Trip Advisor classifies it as a 2* hotel, and I have attempted to adjust my expectations accordingly. This is easier said then done, but I've learned that not being able to do this can totally screw up a trip. I stayed in a 4* hotel in Japan a few years back, and became irrationally upset with a poorly working bidet. I fiddled with it. I called the front desk. I asked for advice from the room service folks. I even left a mildly rude note with the concierge and hotel manager. Eventually I just grit my teeth, and when I got home I wrote a scathing review online. Imagine my embarrassment when I found out later that none of the rooms in the hotel were equipped with bidets. The moral of the story I guess is to review what the hotel has in terms of accommodations, and don't expect more!

So on to the review. I generally shy away from “extended stay” hotels while on vacation with family. They tend to vary quite a bit, and the clientele can be all over the board. Some are generally populated with suits, others contain mostly large bearded men who travel around the country fixing/installing/upgrading things like oil derricks and pipelines. Now I have absolutely zero issues with the latter group when I am traveling alone, and almost to a man they are far more courteous to kids than the gin infused suits, but I have to say that a hotel that smells slightly metallic and is populated with people who appear to be permanently covered in some sort of moon dust does not scream “vacation”. On the weekend night we stayed at this hotel for example, one of the guests on the first floor had pulled back the curtain, opened his window, and was sitting shirtless and motionless while he watched the traffic come and go. To the best of my knowledge he remained in that position for our entire stay. Again there really isn't anything wrong with this, but then I had to explain to a 4 year old that some daddies had to leave their families for work, and yes they might be sad sometimes, etc. etc. By the end of the conversation with my daughter I had agreed to invite him to a waterpark with us, but I am ashamed to say I never did.

Positives:

Good Location – lots of family friendly restaurants around, and the hotel is located in a tree filled park like setting.

Free Coffee – They not only had brewed coffee available, but they had a pile of individual packets that you could take back for in room use.

Clean – Hallways and carpet are a little beat up, but no more than expected in a college town. The room was also clean, as was the oven and pots and pans in the kitchen.

Food Pantry – They had a fairly large selection of packaged foods available for purchase in a room off the lobby.

Meal Plan – They had a advertisement in the elevator that offered food plans at a neighboring pub. Obviously they are putting forth the effort to make their long term folks comfortable. One questionable note was it was advertised as “all you can drink”. Assuming that one had to drive to get there, I am not sure that this is such a great idea.

Negatives:

Slight Smell Everywhere – The place had a slightly musty smell. I was the only one though in our party who had any issue with it.

Crappy Elliptical – This may sound piddling, but is the main reason I took a star off. While many 3* and under hotels are content to convert an old janitor's closet into a work out room and populate it with a Universal and a couple of other pieces of equipment they picked up from the local high school when they upgraded, almost all now have at least one elliptical that works both upper and lower body. This one had only lower body action. As someone who bravely suffers through back and disc issues, this meant I had to then spend a half hour performing mind numbingly boring stretches so I could bend over far enough to get back into our rental car. Bad workout room....bad!

All in all, the place was above average for a 2*. Great for the recently separated/divorced, and the long term business traveler.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2012

The suites are nice, clean, and modern. Room service is 1x per week, so don't count on a clean room everyday. Free wifi, pool (heavily chlorinated and a little small), free laundry, fitness and arranged shuttle to airport. Kitchen appliances worked well and were well kept.

Altogether, for individuals looking to stay for >1 week, I'd recommend it. There are certainly better short term options in the actual city of Madison, though the hotel is well situated by a popular bar, restaurants, grocery store, etc.

Room Tip: Get a king size if available.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Jon T
Reviewed 21 May 2012 via mobile

We spent five days in Madison for my brother's graduation in May. I have to say I prefer Holiday Inns but the location and price were good. The university campus is a short 5 minute drive down the road. For getting around or out of town, the loop is only a couple of minutes away. Within walking distance is a strip mall with a grocery, ice cream, good pub, mail center, pizza place and a Panera. We hit the Panera every day for coffee and bagels. Overall, the location made it.

As for the hotel, the room was clean, had the mini kitchen, and all the essentials. The king size bed was very comfortable. Free laundry was nice but I walked over to Walgreens to buy detergent. The once a week cleaning was annoying as we had dirty diapers I was waiting to be taken away before I figured things out. The hot tub and pool were deserted on Sunday evening although they were probably busy during the weekend.

Yes, you can hear people in other rooms so we kept our room's fan on for white noise at night. We were on the third floor. I'm guessing the noise wound be horrible on the first or second floor when they have an event in their conference room. I'd recommend 3rd or 4th floor for quiet.

Oh, there is also a nice park with a play ground across the street. Small but perfect for little kids - swings and slides.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 6 March 2012

I stayed here for Epic training on Jan 2-5, 2012. They indicated they had an Epic shuttle and seemed closer to restaurants/shopping than the last hotel I stayed at for training.

The front desk staff were friendly. The room was clean - having the fridge and plates/utensils was nice. Thin walls. Comfortable beds and pillows.

The Epic shuttle service is VERY limited. 1 shuttle in the morn and 1 in the evening at 5pm - that's it. Their shuttles also will not take you around the area like other hotel shuttles will.

I reserved a shuttle from Epic to the airport on my last day at 4:30pm. When the shuttle didn't show by 5pm I called the hotel and they said someone who was supposed to be on the same shuttle canceled it. So I had to take the shuttle all the way back to the hotel and then to the airport - ended up being about an hour late to the airport.

The hotel does not provide any sort of breakfast.

The previous hotel I stayed at was about the same price, had excellent shuttle service, and a full breakfast buffet. Due to these reasons I probably wouldn't stay here again. The value just doesn't seem to be there.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business