“Best Western”

Best Western PLUS InnTowner
Ranked #9 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Enjoyed the stay; good staff. Also, the free breakfast had a good selection and was satisfying in terms of a flavorful beginning to the morning. Also, the room was obviously rejuvenated recently and was very well done and comfortable . The availability of newspapers was appreciated and used. The nearness to business at the University of Wisconsin Hospital was very convenient as was the nearby, terrific restaurant, especially since it was within walking distance.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Kris L, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western PLUS InnTowner, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Roger R,

Thank you for taking the time to review the InnTowner and for your positive remarks! Yes, we have recently remodeled most of the hotel; it's complete with the exception of a few curtains here and there and most noticeably the hallway carpet. We put the guest rooms as a priority and we're so glad you noticed!

We look forward to having you back as our guest the next time you're in Madison.

Thank you!

Reviewed 30 May 2014

I would recommend this hotel too all of my family and friends the staff is great the food is excellent and the lounge is friendly I would recommend staying on the fourth floor where the amenities are out of this world.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Jerry O,
Thank you for the positive review and for always selecting the Best Western InnTowner when you're in Madison!

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Thie employees are excellent. I had thought I reserved a room near the hospital but when I arrived at the InnTowner I found out differently. The gentleman at the desk called the other Best Western and got my reserve cancelled wothout charge. The when I got to my room it was such a pleasant surprise, big comfortable and welcoming.The pool was so relaxing after a very stressful day. In the morning, the breakfast buffet was outstanding. Anywhere from juiuce to pancakes eggs, sausage, oat meal. Just a great way to start the day.

Dear Nancy L,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the InnTowner (the one near the Hospital!). We are glad you made it to the right location and found that the other similarly named Madison Best Western as pleasant to work with, as well.

Our employees DO make all the difference, but we're also so happy to know you enjoyed the new room, food and the pool!

Please stay with us again the next time you're in Madison! Thank you!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We arrived at 9PM on Monday night, 5-26-14. No reservations but I had checked the website earlier and they had rooms. They gave me a good rate and the manager at the desk was very helpful. The restaurant was AWESOME. Their roomservice had closed at 9, but we ordered a bunch of food and they just called us when it was ready. It was exceptional, especially for 'hotel food' and all packaged beautifully with packages of every possible kind of condiment. The lettuce was super fresh, the home fries crispy and hot and the sandwiches were tasty and fresh. The wings were a bit of a disappointment, only because they didn't have any sort of BBQ sauce on them. I've never had appetizer wings w/out sauce. The ranch dip was fine tho.

Your wonderful staff and the good food was the only reason I gave it 3 stars.

Now lets talk about the handicap accessible room. You can't put 4 bars in a bathroom and call the room 'accessible'. Lets talk about where the bars in the shower are. They are all towards the back of the shower. That is great while you are standing IN the shower, but how is it supposed to help when you are getting OUT of the shower with wet feet. This is the most difficult time for a handicapped person and the most dangerous and I had NOTHING safe to hold on to. Holding on to one of those back bars would only put me OFF balance, making it even more dangerous. I didn't notice this until I was ready to get out of the shower. Frightening, to say the least.

Then, lets talk about the bed. This hotel has bought into the notion that high beds are all the luxury. I am 5' 10". I had to have help getting into the dumb thing! How in the WORLD do you expect handicapped people to get into those monstrosities? Not only are they dangerous getting in, they are dangerous getting OUT! My feet were at least 8" off the floor and when I slid to the floor my feet slid right out from under me because I couldn't sit square on the bed to get out!

What is even more annoying is that you can't just sit on the end of the bed to watch TV, answer the phone or get dressed. You can lean against the side but eventually that gets uncomfortable so you have to figure out how to climb into the bed and then maneuver to the edge. Since you can't have your feet on the floor, you never feel truly stable. This is a HANDICAP ACCESSIBLE room. NOTHING should make you feel unstable.

Your website says "Please pardon our work as we continue to enhance the InnTowner, Feb. - Apr" so I had assumed the work was done, but the hallway on 2nd floor, room 202 area was a mess. All the baseboards were torn off and the carpet itself was a dark, stained mess. Considering all the business this hotel gets from the hospital (right across the street) you would think they could do a better job of upkeep.

I broke my own rule of never staying in a hotel more than 5 years old unless I have a personal recommendation from a friend and now I regret it.

Why didn't I complain? 9:30 at night before my son's procedure early the next morning. At that point I'm not about to drag him out and about. He needed ot get some sleep, not schlep all over the hotel. There was no point in complaining because even moving to another room, after we had got in our jammies and eaten and unpacked, would have been just another nightmare.

Room Tip: DO NOT stay in these rooms if you are handicapped. They are not truly handicap accessible.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Kris L, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western PLUS InnTowner, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Kathy R,

Thank you for taking the time to write such thoughtful comments and constructive criticism. This feedback really helps us to improve.

We can’t disagree with you on your feedback about the handicapped rooms, and we are sorry that we caused you fear and discomfort while using the shower, especially during an already stressful time with your son needing to go to the hospital.

We are actually addressing this with our next phase of the remodel which will make the rooms “truly” handicapped accessible, including the bed height.

If you do stay with us again, please don’t hesitate to request one of our step platforms to assist you into the higher pillow top beds.

We continue to work toward improving the accommodations for guests of any capability. We sincerely do hope you will give us another chance.

Thank you again for your review!

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Nice place to live in. Its near to campus and staff is very helpful. They are providing shuttle service to drop and pick you from nearby location which is good as well. I must mention here Leketta and Maria who serve breakfast, they are really doing great job.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Sabir1986,

Thank you for staying with us and writing this nice review. We concur with your positive comments about our staff and will pass along the compliments to Lekita and Maria specifically. Please stay with us again the next time you need to be close to campus!

Thank you!

Reviewed 23 May 2014

The hotel was mediocre: beds were uncomfortable, food tasteless at best, construction made place dusty. However: staff excellent and service excellent - so good that it made me discount some of the irritating parts of the place

Dear Eric L,
We're sorry that you found the hotel, beds and food to be less than you had hoped for! However, as many others have pointed out, a great staff does make all the difference in the world. We're so glad ours here at the Best Western Plus InnTowner and Highland Club made your stay bearable. We hope you give us another chance when construction is completed!

Reviewed 22 May 2014

It is in campus area. with many restaurants nearby.
The hotels is clean; Check in was easy. We on 3th floor. When arrived the room without pay attention until the night. We found out that the closet was empty. No bar. The next morning, I coudnot find the hair dryer. Called the front desk. They sent up the hair dryer. The bar in the closet they replaced when we went out. The evening came back, The bar in the closet is done, yet without hangers. The problems was fixed after calling the front desk.
Refrigerator and coffee maker in the room.
It was graduation week, so it's pricy.
The breakfast was very good. Nice view. They have dinner in the restaurant, yet I did not use it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear kimphat,
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review of the InnTowner! We admit that we may have missed some details in the rush to have the newly renovated rooms available in time for Graduation Weekend. We are glad you enjoyed the location and that the front desk was able to fill in the missing pieces, though we're sorry you had to make the effort to point them out. We hope you stay with us again on your next trip to Madison! Thank you!