“No lounge in Highland Club”

BEST WESTERN PLUS Inntowner Madison
Ranked #11 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Mpls
“No lounge in Highland Club”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2008

I paid extra for the Highland Club room because it came with a private lounge serving drinks, appetizers and continental breakfast, all on a private floor. The hotel wasn't very full so they didn't bother to staff the lounge and sent us to the hotel bar with a couple of coupons. We did got to the bar in the evening, the bar tender was eating a hamburger, and two couples were exchanging custody of a preschooler. It wasn't pleasant. I complained that we didn't get the service we paid for, but the hotel staff were convinced that the coupons were adequate compensation. I really would have prefered the private lounge right outside my room, on the private floor they advertised and I paid for. It was really disappointing, particulary because the hotel saw my complaint as a non-issue.

• Liked — The bed and bedding were very comfortable
  • Disliked — We didn't get to use the amenity we picked the hotel for, the private lounge
  • Stayed October 2008
4 Thank Flamingsarah

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Korean first
Burlington, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2008

This was our fourth time we've stayed at this hotel and we've had a great experience every time. The rooms are spacious, the beds quite comfortable, and the location is very convenient to the University and hospital area. I like the sink outside the bathroom with the wide counter. I've always loved the pool - its the perfect temperature - just warm enough to not feel a chill when you get in. We've never found the pool crowded and usually had the pool to ourselves. Heat lamps are available on one side of the pool room too. Hot tub is pleasant and they have a nice gym. The front desk staff has always been professional and friendly. This hotel has a nice comfortable feel about it and we'd stay here again anytime.

• Liked — Pool and location (they even have a shuttle!)
  • Disliked — Nothing bad to say at all
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank newjerseyfamily
Anaheim, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2007

Clean, spacious, comfortable room. Excellent beds! Staff is very efficient, friendly, professional. On-site restaurant is pleasant; breakfast was delicious and very reasonably priced. I was very pleased with my stay and will plan to return. I really had no complaints! Everything was really just exactly what we needed for a great autumn weekend in Madison. Close to campus, plenty of free parking, easy shuttle to/fro downtown.

Stayed October 2007
1 Thank kdh88
illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2007

We have always enjoyed our stays at the Best Western Inntowner in Madison. We go up to see our daughter and over the years have stayed in many of the hotels in Madison. We especially like the beds in the Highland Club. The service is always prompt and the rooms are always clean. The highland club is a nice touch. They serve a hot breakfast of bacon & eggs and also juice, fruit & cereals, etc. In the evening it is always a fun place to go for cocktails. We now stay when we go to the home football games and find their location good (near the hospital campus & UW campus) The best reason to stay are the great beds and plasma TVs in the rooms. In Madison you cannot miss staying there.

Stayed October 2007
2 Thank centralimestone
wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2007

Check-in was a very slow and unorganized process. When we got into the room in stuck horribly of smoke. This is supposed to be a non smoking hotel. I went to open the window to try to air it out and the window was so covered in spiders and webs it closely resembled a halloween decoration. My son and I counted 28 spiders on out window. The pool and whirlpool area was not very clean. Towels strewn about and floor was dirty. The whirlpool made a horrible growling noise when you turned it on. Also, most of the overhead lights were burned out or completely missing. The workout room looked like it had not been vacuumed in weeks. Not to mention the only piece of working equipment in there was the treadmil. Everything else was "Out of Order." Hotel advertises a game room and the only machines in the game room was a soda machine and gumball machine. I booked this room through the hospital that my son had an appointment at and was told the room rate would be $77 I was not informed of any change in the room rate, so during check out I found out that the actual cost I was being charged was $132. I scheduled a charter to take us to out appointment. The charter never showed up. I asked for directions at the front desk and was given wrong directions. Was scheduled at the University Hospital was given directions to Veterans Hospital.
Do not recommend to anyone to stay in this hotel.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — spiders!
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
5 Thank steph518
Seattle
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2007

Our room reeked of ancient, permanent cigarette smoke. I thought we could get over it, but it actually became worse as we hung out in the room. The hotel said there was nothing they could do for me: no discount, no room change, nothing. Their response was 'oh well.'

A truly cool maintenance guy heard me at the desk and came by with an ion machine - very sweet of him. I don't know if those help (I think Consumer Reports debunked that myth), but still. He said 6 months previously the room was full-on smoking and that there are many, many complaints. So for the front desk to ask all surprised and shocked was bs.

One issue I had was that I had purchased my room on the Best Western site and they billed my Amex immediately so I was informed that the BW Inn Tower could not credit me for that reason - still don't quite understand that logic. So it's pretty much win win for the hotel: paid two weeks before I show up and then I'm left with no recourse because I used their site!

• Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
5 Thank SeattleGretl
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2007

Madison is one of America's great university towns. However, you must realize its tourist structure does not contain elements of a world class city. If you keep this in mind, the Best Western InnTowner and Highland Club will sufficiently meet your needs.
We stayed in one of the Highland Club rooms and it served its purpose although I would never call the rooms elegant. The accommodations were large with a huge television set as the centerpiece of the room. There was a great deal of "empty" space, and there is nothing architectural stimulating in the room. It is clean, large, with standard "Hampton Inn" furniture. The bathroom, for such a large room, was surprisingly small. However, the shower worked and the towels dried us off. The best thing about the Highland Club rooms is the free drinks and comraderie of the Hospitality Room. It would be a blast on a football week-end! My guess is that the Highland Club is sold out years in advance for home Badger football games.
The location of this hotel is perfect for a football game. It is rather a long walk if you want to enjoy the ambiance of State Street.
If you keep your expectations to a moderate level, the InnTowner and Highland Club would be a fine place to stay in Madison.

• Liked — The free drinks!
  • Disliked — The motel ambiance of the room
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple