“Old hotel and dysfunctional air conditioner”

Best Western Premier Park Hotel
Ranked #16 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Shanghai
“Old hotel and dysfunctional air conditioner”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I only stayed at the hotel one night. It was a bit expensive for an old hotel. The decor was dated, kind of 1980s and the room was slightly grubby. There was no free breakfast and no guest laundry. Valet parking only. It was in a good location next to the Capitol and the park but not sure that made up for the deficits. It was a hot night and the air conditioner was struggling to cope. It seemed to stop working altogether after midnight and the room became very hot and stuffy. Air conditioners probably don't get much use in Wisconsin and maybe it hadn't had a service recently or perhaps it was some kind of bizarre power saving measure but it was extremely annoying. If I pay for a 3/4 star hotel I want to get a good night's sleep and a functioning air conditioning unit on a hot night is pretty basic to that.

Room Tip: Unless you really want a view of the state Capitol you can find a better hotel than this one.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
George W, General Manager at Best Western Premier Park Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
I appreciate the feedback about your stay. I'm sorry to hear the air conditioning in your room was not working as it should. I hope you will visit again so that we may give you the extraordinary service that is our goal.

George Wiesner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Walldorf, Germany
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is located right by the state capitol and within walking distance to all the downtown eateries. We had a room on the top floor that boasted nice views of the capitol and was nice and clean. They offer free valet parking, but breakfast is not included in the room rate.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Denver
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Loud music if you get a room over the bar. Parked car with valet, as they do not have self park options, and than found the car in a parking lot next to hotel. Had to ask them to move my car to inside valet.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Dear Susan,

Thank you for visiting us from the great city of Denver! Parking in downtown Madison can be a challenge and we are happy to provide complimentary valet parking service to our guests so they can park once and move about town on foot. Most of our parking is indoors but during the summer months we do take advantage of our adjacent outdoor lot. As you discovered, if you prefer to have your car inside we are always happy to accomodate.

George Wiesner
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed 5 August 2014

There is no better spot to be in downtown Madison than the Inn on the Park. Perfect location!! My only problem is that we paid much more for a "view". And, believe me, the view is spectacular....the problem is the windows are so dirty you can't see well and certainly can not take photos from the windows. I was very disappointed about this as I love photography. My second problem was we had a 2 room suite. A parlor area and a bedroom area. This was perfect for our situation. The bathroom is in the bedroom area and not the parlor area so I had to use the bathroom in the bedroom area. My husband goes to bed much earlier than I do. The bathroom door squeaks so badly that it woke him up when I used the bathroom. Two very easy fixes. WASH THE WINDOWS AND OIL THE HINGES ON THE BATHROOM DOOR!! For the price we paid we would have been much happier had these 2 easy fixes been done.

Room Tip: A room with a view in nice.....as long as the windows are clean, which they were filthy when we were...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank BA0455
Holmen, United States
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Beautiful location right on the Capitol Square. Good service and the only place that I would stay on a future trip to Madison. It is worth the price to stay on the square in downtown Madiison. Nightllife and so many great restaurants and charming shops on State Street.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

George W, General Manager at Best Western Premier Park Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Robin, I am proud to hear that Inn on the Park is the only place you'll stay when you're in Madison. It is our goal to provide each of our guests an extraordinary experience. I'm so happy we were able to do that for you and I look forward to welcoming you back. -George
Brookfield, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My daughter recently got married in Madison. I was no stranger to the city, but never needed to stay overnight before. This time required a one night stay and I wanted to be near the capitol. I paid for 4 rooms for my family to stay at the Inn at the Park and we were all very happy with all aspects of our stay. We especially enjoyed proximity to the capitol square where Madison's farmer's market took place on Saturday morning. That morning there was no need to eat breakfast anywhere but the farmer's market. My only complaint, which is slight, about the hotel is that coming in, it was hard to catch a glimpse of the sign for the free valet parking entrance. I wonder if a smaller, reflective sign could be put at the street and situated perpendicular to it to make it easier to recognize the turn-in.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Gregory, thank you for the feedback regarding signage for valet parking. We will take a look and see how we can be more visible to guests driving in. Congratulations on your daughter's marriage and thank you for staying with us. -George
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I really liked staying here! All the rooms were clean and really nice! The location is perfect! Everything was walking distance! I highly recommend this place! The staff were also super friendly and there's also free valet here but of course don't forget to tip!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends