“Nice change of taste”

Cuisines: Caribbean, Latin, Costa Rican, Central American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We had never been here on all our previous trips to Madison, so wanted to give it a try. The chicken dish was great, with the sauce, although very thin, flavoring the salad on the plate very nicely. The rice/beans were tasty. I didn't think the portions were very large, and could have definitely eaten more. My dinner partner had the pork tacos, and chose not to eat the soft shells, which I didn't quite understand, and I think she thought the food was bland. Unfortunately, the 2 sauces provided were too hot, and the way the food came was too mild. Maybe a sauce that is medium? We ate outside with a small puppy in attendance, and we appreciated the pet-friendly atmosphere.

There are newer reviews for Cafe Costa Rica

Reviewed 7 August 2013

My husband and I love Cafe Costa Rica. Our favorite dish is the Island Special (I get mine with patacones). Tony offers plenty of vegetarian and gluten free options as well as awesome drinks!

1  Thank leaf r
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Small place, a converted house with home-made, not industrial decor. Service was fine, again pleasantly natural, not derived from a training manual. Menu is relatively short, with almost all items unusual or maybe Costa Rican. The overall effect of the cuisine is closer to Cuban or Jamaican or other Caribbean, rather than Mexican. Our dinner was exciting with strong flavors, and unexpected spices. A "lime salad" with lettuce & onions and of course Lime, was super. The bean side dish was really exciting, and the main courses (one a kind of slow cooked chicken, the other a 'Tico Steak' (the name doesn't do justice to the dish) were excellent. The 'salsas' that accompany the meal are spicy, and different (we took bottles home). Overall a fun meal.

Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

We came to Madison for a festival and decided to give this place a try. The empanadas are the best I've ever had. Everything is made with care from the chips & guacamole to the blackened chicken to the chocolate rum cake. Might have to return for a second taste before our departure. Service was fine, could use a little more personality but we got everything we asked for.

Reviewed 21 June 2013

Went there on a Friday night and was told to sit anywhere.. By the way there was a lot of open seats. We went up stairs but were told when we go up there that there was an hour wait. We said we were just told to sit any where and the waitress kindly walked us asked us to go down stairs. Then the lady hostest told us we had to wait an hour and that they were too busy. She didn't even apologize or anything she just let us leave un happy! The thing that sucks is this was my favorite restaurant but because of the service it is not anymore!