“Quiet and slow-paced”

Spring House Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Porter B&B and Inns
“Quiet and slow-paced”
Reviewed 15 July 2004

We took our kids from small-town Iowa to see Chicago for a long weekend. After the fast paced hustle and bustle of the big city, we decided to go to the Dunes and visit my cousins near Gary. I stumbled across the Springhouse on the internet while searching for hotels and it looked too good to be true. I checked with my cousin who said it is "lovely," and was she ever right! We enjoyed it immensely and will stay again if we are up that direction. It reminded me of being at an inn in Vermont. We also drove to Michigan City and enjoyed the outlet mall, and then enjoyed going back to our little haven. I used the sitting rooms several times to read and relax. It was very clean, the view was pretty, the breakfast was good. One recommendation......there are no elevators, so keep that in mind when you book your room, especially if you have lots of STUFF! And the price is right too...

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Reviewed 23 May 2004

My husband and I stayed here after our wedding in July of '02 for the first time. Since we live about 15 minutes away it's become a weekend getaway. (beautiful in winter, cold, but the scenery is awesome if you can handle the walk!) The rooms are good size, the beds are comfortable and the continental breakfast is nice. They also have a sitting room and an area to play games. A lot of businesses hold conferences there. We normally spend around $60 a night and there's not that much of a croud. My kids love the pool and jaccuzzi and making their own waffles in the morning. There are a lot of restaurants about 10 minutes away and Leroys is a great Bar/Grill (specializing in Mexican) Oh and Wagner's Ribs-awesome ribs, they just fall off the bone (5 minutes away) Hope this helps.

• Stayed July 2002
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 April 2004

As very busy parents, we needed to spend time with our children (aged 5 & 6) and opted not to go for the usual high energy resort stuff. We go on vacations with them at least 3 times a year and have stayed at some of the best hotels and resorts out there. We just came back from a long weekend at this inn. This charming inn was a dream come true. Extremely clean, beautiful decor, space and setting, my children fell in love at first sight. They have lots of nooks and corners to curl up and read or listen to music, with bowls of fruit all over. The pool is a nice little size and they have a nice size hot tub, dry sauna and gym.
Breakfast was perfect, nice and fresh stuff, not the rubbery, overcooked stuff at most breakfast buffets. The employees were extremely pleasant and did their best to offer suggestions etc as to the dunes etc to help us enjoy our trips out. I will definitely be visiting them again in the near future. Thanks to all the Staff out there.. you guys rock!!!

PS: I found this site by accident while trying to book our trip, and I now have you in my favorites. I will never book a hotel without reading what real visitors have to say. GREAT IDEA!!!

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
chicago, il
Reviewed 7 August 2003

Can be very expensive for amenities and area, but for the area, the best hotel ( there are almost no mid level exept Hilton Garden Inn).
Spring House is nicely decorated and has a nice continental breakfast.
Rooms are either on the parking lot side or woods; the woods being much nicer, yet about $ 15 more. Near Indiana Dunes National lakeshore park.

6 Thank MATTMDM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Porter
Comfort Inn & Suites
Hilton Garden Inn Chesterton
Hampton Inn Portage
Hampton Inn Portage
#2 of 12 in Portage

Been to Spring House Inn? Share your experiences!