“Eh...” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Old Absinthe House

Old Absinthe House
More attraction details
Owner description: This historic building, which dates back to 1806, now houses a bar and two restaurants.
Galveston Island, Texas
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Eh...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

Drinks aren't worth the price, even for the Quarter. Bartender was kind of helpful, I guess... Not friendly but not out and out rude either. Strange decorating with old, crusty business cards posted everywhere and football memorabilia with no explanation. Other places explain the history in signage or menus, but this place was just odd I guess. We didn't hate it, but we definitely have no reason to go back.

Rochester
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bloody Mary”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

Stopped in here for a breakfast bloody Mary drink. It was delicious. The handful of pickled green beans in the drink topped it off beautifully!

Houston, Texas
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 224 helpful votes
“Just to say we've tried Absinthe”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

We always say we're going to try it, but we're not fans of things that taste like licorice. Still, we wanted to cross it off our list, so we tried it this time. Our bartender was at least very helpful in directing us towards the most mild absinthe- as far as flavoring goes. Neither one of us really cared for it- but that's not the bartender's or the absinthe's fault. Still- it was an interesting experience.

Wembley, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 384 helpful votes
“Now a Sports Bar?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

While I always pop into this bar while I’m in New Orleans, it seems to have turned into a sports bar, which is a little sad. I didn’t have any absinthe while I was there because I’m not a fan, but my friend’s seemed to enjoy it. My first margarita was very good, but the second tasted a little pre-mixed. Prices seemed okay for NOLA --- just a shame it now has a sports theme.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank Wembleygal
Montreal
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“Not the stylish absinthe presentation but they had some good brands”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

This is a bar on Bourbon St., open to the air, music, people, loud, a ruckus at times, with overworked bartenders. They had maybe 8 types of absinthe and I've had maybe half of these. The best is Le Fee from France, and I ordered that. A friend had the Mata Hari which I tasted and didn't like as much--not as smooth and a bit more sour. Absinthe is like Pernod with the taste of anise or licorice. The presentation of absinthe is a ritual but what you see at this bar includes none of the beauty of what it's about. Yes, there are (modern) absinthe spoons, sugar cubes and water, but none of the exquisite accoutrement that comes with this unusual liquor. Still, you likely won't find absinthe around the corner from where you live, so it's worth a trip if you're in NOLA and you can read the history of the place. It's a high alcohol drink and one will get you where you want to go.

Visited June 2013