“New Orleans Music Lovers”
Review of Preservation Hall

Ranked #25 of 383 things to do in New Orleans
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: New Orleans' Preservation Hall was established in 1961 to honor one of America's truest art forms - Traditional New Orleans Jazz. Operating as a music venue, a touring band, and a non-profit organization, Preservation Hall continues its mission today as a cornerstone of New Orleans music and culture. Situated in the heart of the French Quarter on St. Peter Street, the Preservation Hall venue presents intimate, acoustic New Orleans Jazz concerts over 350 nights a year featuring ensembles from a current collective of 100+ local master practitioners. On any given night, audiences bear joyful witness to the evolution of this venerable and living tradition.
Reviewed 19 May 2014

After many visits to NOLA this was my first time at Preservation Hall. If you love the music of New Orleans don't miss Preservation Hall. I suggest buying seats in advance.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,772)
All reviews
"vip tickets"
in 59 reviews
"minute set"
in 54 reviews
"traditional new orleans jazz"
in 50 reviews
in 50 reviews
"pat o'briens"
in 63 reviews

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Although I can not compare myself to jazz enthusiasts, I will say that I grew up listening to Louis Armstrong and loved the Preservation Hall Jazz Band whenever I heard its music. So, during a recent trip to New Orleans, I knew I had to visit Preservation Hall. Unfortunately, I did not purchase advance tickets and had to wait in line for almost 2 hours to get in. But, the wait was worth it. The hall, itself, is tiny and accommodates only about 100 (or less) people. So you need to get the advanced tickets if you want to sit down on one of the benches (no chairs). Otherwise, you might be standing in the back of the room. The musicians I heard on that evening were talented, great performers. The music filled me with nostalgia and I was thrilled to have visited this remarkable historic location. I would definitely recommend this site if you visit the Big Easy.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

I recently went to the last show of the evening with 3 friends. Only one of the party didn't enjoy it and unfortunately that was me! It was everything I had expected, no frills, few seats (12) just back to bare basic's. We were so close could touch the musicians. My three companions were totally blown away with the session and it was the evening I realise that Jazz is not for me! So in short if you love Jazz go fill your boots.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

You must go at least once just for the experience and, you never know who will be in town to sit in with the band. This is Americana at its finest. A remnant of a time when community meant something to people.

See more reviews
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We purchased our tickets ahead of time and it was well worth it - no line to wait in AND you get a seat on a bench. Otherwise, you should line up about 1 hour before the show and then you get to stand in the back of the room - no thank you! We stopped next door at Pat O'Briens for a drink to bring with us - Preservation Hall does not sell refreshments and it does not have a bathroom.

The night we were there, they were filming for CBS Sunday Morning and we enjoyed watching the show after we got home. The Jazz Band plays for 45 minutes and plays 3 sets per night - your ticket is only for 1 set. The band was wonderful and lively and the music was traditional New Orleans jazz. The time flew by.

There was also a woman there sketching on an artists pad and it turns out her father did all of the artwork on display at Preservation Hall and in the Jazz Museum - so she was there to carry on the family tradition - very cool (last name is Rockmore).

I highly recommend this time-honored tradition with a visit to Preservation Hall - including the benefits of prepurchasing your tickets We bought the 2nd row seats for $35 and saw The Preservation Hall Jazz Band. Check the schedule to see which group is playing when you're there - it seems that all are very good.. Don't miss it!

1  Thank Bearvet