“Jazz in an authentic space”
Review of Preservation Hall

Ranked #24 of 384 things to do in New Orleans
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: New Orleans' Preservation Hall was established in 1961 to honor one of America's truest art forms - Traditional New Orleans Jazz. Operating as a music venue, a touring band, and a non-profit organization, Preservation Hall continues its mission today as a cornerstone of New Orleans music and culture. Situated in the heart of the French Quarter on St. Peter Street, the Preservation Hall venue presents intimate, acoustic New Orleans Jazz concerts over 350 nights a year featuring ensembles from a current collective of 100+ local master practitioners. On any given night, audiences bear joyful witness to the evolution of this venerable and living tradition.
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Although it may be cheaper to bob around Frenchmen Street, this was an experience all on it's own. Turn up an hour early and grab a drink from Pat O'Brien's next door in a plastic cup (I suggest the Hurricane cocktail). There's no bar or bathroom at preservation hall so be prepared. There's also no photography but they didn't seem to mind photos before the band started playing.

The music was as expected, wonderful jazz with some amazing musicians. So glad we did this one!

Write a ReviewReviews (4,703)
All reviews
"small venue"
in 118 reviews
"minute set"
in 53 reviews
"traditional new orleans jazz"
in 50 reviews
in 47 reviews
"dixieland jazz"
in 50 reviews

Reviewed 30 July 2014

We learned about the history of the New Orleans mint. We learned that the building is sinking. That is was used in the past as a prison. We learned about the New Orleans history regarding the French, Spanish, Italian, Irish and German influence to the city. We were also treated to all of the Nawlins music history and their pictures

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Great music wonderful atmosphere, not enough room to dance much. Slightly hot and crowded. Loud chairs are not the best for older folks

1  Thank Lianeg614
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Before the show we stopped for a bite to eat. The waitress told us Preservation Hall is a tourist trap and turned up her nose. Well I have to say I'm so glad we went and didn't listen to her bad advice. We saw The Southern Syncopators with Steve Pistorious and they had the whole place on fire! I highly recommend seeing a show here and opting for the Big Shot tickets. That way you can just walk up to the gate and be seated. Otherwise you will stand in line for a seat and then stand throughout the show.

1  Thank L_Kiguru
See more reviews
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I wanted my Niece to experience some great Music in New Orleans for her Graduation present. I bought Big Shot tickets online for a Friday night show here. All I have to say is LOVED IT! They had our toes tapping and our hands clapping. And all of us singing. Yes, the Big Shot prices where spendy. But honestly it was worth it. However even if we waited in line it would have been worth it too!

Only issue I had was there were no bathrooms and the room was a little warm (OK it is NOLA in July so it was a lot warm - no air conditioning). But this will not stop me from rating this place excellent.

I will be back.