“Lovely Gem”

Ogden Museum of Southern Art
Ranked #42 of 381 things to do in New Orleans
More attraction details
Owner description: The range of the collections include painting, sculpture, photography, self-taught art, ceramics and mixed media by Southern artists.
Reviewed 31 May 2014

This is one of those small museums that give exposure to several great relatively unknown artists. Check out the oil paintings from the 1930's. Museum layout bright and easy to navigate. Friendly staff. Interesting gift shop. Music on Thursday nights. Rooftop terrace. My husband loved sitting in a rocking chair on the museum front porch while I took my time in the museum. They need to sell some cold beverages, at least bottled water.

All reviews
"two hours"
"photographs"
in 56 reviews

Reviewed 29 May 2014

This museum is such a treasure. There are three main levels and it was suggested that we start with the top level (on the 5th floor) and work our way down. The sculpture and art work is wonderful. I also enjoyed some of the featured artist and the theme, which was "Sense of Place". I was fascinated by the photography from the civil war era. My 12 year old son was with me, and I loved experiencing this museum with him. At the time we were there, there was an outside interactive board, with the title, "Before I die . . . " and visitors had taken chalk and wrote their individual hopes and dreams there. Wonderful idea that we really enjoyed seeing and reading.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The gallery was a varied mix of sculpture and art. Their were quite a varied range if galleries. Some stunning portraits by various artists were particularly notable. Photographic exhibit from the Civil War was particularly interesting after visits to the plantations. Very peaceful place to spend time on an inclement day. Security on the door was quite friendly, more than can be said for the person on the pay desk.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

This museum has a great concert series on Thursday evenings with a different type of musician every week. They also have a cash bar and some type of food for purchase on site. At $5 it's a deal!

See more reviews
Reviewed 27 May 2014

My partner and I enjoy art and live music and so we opted to go to the Ogden After Hours on Thursday evening from 6-8pm. For the same price as regular admission we were able to enjoy the small museum easily in the 2 hours accompanied by music. There was alcohol and food as well available for purchase. Would highly recommend seeing the museum this way!

1  Thank vmq86