“Great Hole in the Wall”

Neighbourhood: Uptown / Carrollton
New Orleans, La
“Great Hole in the Wall”
Reviewed 26 March 2009

I love this place. It's too bad that it is usually overshadowed by the restaurants next door. The servers are always friendly and the owner even allows customers of the nearby restuarant to park in his limited places. They have great chicken parmesan and pizza. Their knotted breadsticks are amazing. The place is a little run down, but i adds to the charm and reminds me of a hole in the wall pizza place in New York.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“The first time I walked...”
Reviewed 2 August 2008

The first time I walked in (5 years ago at least), I ask Nino what i should eat and he serves out a large heap of shrimp cake with lasagna and garlic knots. Nino urged me to the back table, He gestures with a sharp point: "I make the table better for us" then he rubs his slightly protruding gut, points at mine and gives a hearty laugh. My embarrassment sensor was jammed years ago by my father so I laughed with him and took this as a complement. The food was on a Styrofoam plate. The utensils: the cheapest you could get next to plastic. The food... well... i don't have the right word for it...i lack the vocabulary to convey how the food's taste made me feel. Close your eyes. Remember the clatter of your grandmother cooking...the smells...Wheel of Fortune WAY to loud for your grandfather's napping pleasure. . . Nino's thick Italian accent bellows out over the rat pack CD playing on the old radio set up, "A digesteef" he offers a styrofoam cup with a splash of the house red. My smile grew as i grabbed my "complementary dessert,"
"I will return many times." I guaranteed him. If you go twice you are a regular. The man is skilled in an old school way that i envy and admire. HE is the kinda guy that makes me proud to be a cook...I may not in the same league but in the same culinary world.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“The best pizza in town. The best meatball sub in town. It's a small place. Chef Nino stands behind the counter and...”
Reviewed 13 July 2008

The best pizza in town. The best meatball sub in town. It's a small place. Chef Nino stands behind the counter and serves the food right in front of you. Sinatra is usually playing in the background as you dine on styrofoam plates. Don't except a fancy setting or plate-up. Expect delicious home-cooked food, cause that's what you get everytime.

The pizza is delicious (particularly if Roger is working). Don't expect fancy toppings (or any toppings for that matter). Nino doesn't believe in them. And he's right. His pizza doesn't need them. If you have any questions on how it's made, just ask Roger. He can explain scientifically the debate over whether to use cornmeal or flour (never cornmeal!!).

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook