“Unique local flavors for both kids and adults”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Creole Creamery

Creole Creamery
Ranked #2 of 63 Dessert in New Orleans
Price range: US$2 - US$15
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Uptown / Carrollton
Rockville, Maryland
“Unique local flavors for both kids and adults”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

One of the most memorable things I ate in New Orleans this weekend was a recommendation from a 5-year-old girl. She wanted her mother to take me and her to Creole Creamery for an afternoon treat. Let’s just say that you can trust a five-year-old when it comes to ice cream.

Creole Creamery is a colorful ice cream shop in a vibrant residential area. It was lively with kids, their parents and other adults. There was plenty of room to sit – booths, tables, bar seats – a sanctuary away from the heat, humidity and deluge of the summer. The list of flavors seemed endless, and many of them were so creative and complex, and even had a local spin to them. Even though I tend to prefer my ice cream flavors simple, so I can taste the ingredients, Creole Creamery convinced me that flavors could come together and create new flavors without losing their own individuality. The Mango Unchained tasted solidly mango and struck the right balance among the sweetness of the honey, the heat of the cayenne and the buzz of the Southern Comfort in the background. The Mexican Hot Chocolate was rich and dark, not too sweet and with just enough heat at the end as a gentle yet firm reminder that there was chili in the ice cream mix. The Green Fairy was an absinthe ice cream with Valrhona dark chocolate and candied orange peel. The licorice flavor was presented and did not overpower, and the interplay between the dark chocolate and the orange peel only enhanced the absinthe flavor. It’s like drinking absinthe at a bar without getting drunk.

Making a decision was the hard part. The list of flavors went on and on, and only guilt stopped me from asking the friendly staff to let me sample more flavors. You can get as many scoops as you want. At the suggestion of the staff, I ended up with one scoop of two flavors, the Mango Unchained and the Green Fairy. I don’t run into those flavors often, and the combination of the two was even better. It was like having two drinks in an afternoon without the unintended consequence of having two stiff drinks! My five-year-old host was content with her bubble gum ice cream and was making friends with other kids at the next table. There was something for everyone.

By the way, they take cash only. At $2.75 for a single scoop for this high quality ice cream, I’m sure you have change to spare for two scoops!

Luling, Louisiana
“Love it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Peanut butter fudge pie, red velvet cake, malted chocolate chip...those are the flavors we tried when we visited Creole Creamery a few days ago. Everything was wonderful, but oh, that malted chocolate chip was divine! We liked that they had interesting local flavors and not the same old thing. We'll definitely go back.

Pune, India
“High Expectations, dull experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

I had high expectations before visiting this place as it's a highly recommended ice cream joint. However, I was disappointed as I had much better ice-creams elsewhere. If you are in Mumbai or Pune in India; you should try Naturals Ice Cream and then probably, you'll understand what variety flavors I am talking about.

Overall a ho-hum experience. A reduced star is because of high expectations after Tripadvisor recommendations and experience at Naturals.

Milner, Georgia
“Great Ice cream.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I can't say enough about this cute place. They have great ice cream to break up a hot day of exploring New Orleans. Try it if you are out on St. Charles or Magazine Streets.

• Visited August 2013
Prattville, Alabama
“Great Ice Cream”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

The flavors are surprising and somewhat unusual. I am an adventurous eater so that didn't bother me. I was hoping for a Balsamic Strawberry but they didn't have it the day we went. The service was great. They didn't panic when we walked in with 60 people in our group. They served each person and did it in a very efficient manner. My ice cream was delicious. Since they didn't have what I wanted, I went with a specialty chocolate. I would eat there again!

• Visited June 2014