“Fantastic Stay, can't wait to go back!”

Dauphine Orleans Hotel
Ranked #49 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 27 March 2011

This hotel was incredible. We stayed in the Herman House. The room was super clean. The bed was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept on. The sheets didn't have the hotel smell like most places. The courtyard was beautiful. Great location in the French Quarter. Front desk persons were very helpful. Rooms were very quiet.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,476)

Reviewed 22 March 2011

This was my second time to New Orleans and the first I stayed at the Sheraton on Canal St. Where it was a chain I knew what I'd be getting so when friends of mine booked the Dauphine and asked my fiance and I to come along I was a little skeptical. I have NOT one complaint and neither does my fiance. This place has so much to offer (great drinks, great pool, GREAT beds, and loads of charm. If you want to stay somewhere a little quieter than Bourbon and off the beaten path this is the place to go.

Also I know that some of the reviews and the hotels website does mention ghostly experiences. I am the largest scaredy-cat out there and didn't know about this until after I booked the hotel. Some strange things definitely happened (random knocking on our door, a picture I took in the bar came out purple, my friend saw a shadow walk by her) but NOTHING made me feel uneasy or scared. I actually ended up looking for things and talking with the bartender and front desk staffs about it.

All I have left to say is STAY HERE... it's no Ritz Carlton but it is amazing.

One more tip when you check in they will give a complimentary drink ticket for your stay but if you go down everyday and ask for one they will be more than happy to accommodate.

Reviewed 21 March 2011

My husband and I go to NOLA about every other year. This was our third stay at Dauphine Orleans. We always stay in the rooms across the streed from the hotel because they are quite in the morning and we can sleep in. The only exception was our first night. At 5:00 AM in the morning, a young couple who was staying in the room above us decide to have a knock down drag out fight that lasted over an hour. I called the desk and they came over and the noise did get better. We did not hear anything else for our stay. That is no fault of the hotels.
Our room had a bad smell to it at times that I had not noiticed on our other trips. The carpet was dirty and the place just wasn't up to par as our previos visits. But the thing I love most is that the beds are always so comfortable. We stay out late and sleep in and it's nice to get into a comfy bed with nice linens.
The staff at the front desk are just ok. Not super friendly and not rude, just kind of there.
It was a good stay, but the hotel needs some sprucing up.

Reviewed 19 March 2011

think the 'check in' process is what tainted my view of this hotel. We called the hotel a few days before we left to see if it was 'OK' if we arrived earlier than 3 to check in, they said it was no problem, they would have rooms available. We arrived at approx 1:30pm and tried to check in, no rooms available. I can understand, actual check in time is 3(ish?), we we're told rooms would be available around 3:15; so we left our bags and went walking. We booked a walking tour which we had to meet back at 4pm, so we returned to the hotel at 3:30 to check in and change/leave. Upon our arrival, the check in line was out the door. After waiting for 15 or so minutes in line, and having every person ahead of us check in, we were told no rooms were available. I explained our situation, and we were told we could use the bathroom to change in... The girl at the desk was never rude, it was just a bad situation that was not her fault, so we left for our tour without changing or checking in. We returned from our tour at approximately 8pm. There were only 2 people ahead of us, but it still took another 15 minutes to get checked in. While we were checking in, a young woman in a wheel chair came into the lobby (visibly upset) and told them that had given her a room that is only accessible by stair. The girl behind the desk told her she didn't know what she could do, she wasn't showing any other rooms available. I don't know how the situation was resolved, but it seems like the hotel needs to revist/revamp their check in and booking system. The room was OK, nothing amazing, the lights were a little weird; 5 adjustable knobs that controlled 2 lights each. My wife complained it was bad for putting on make-up. The location is great, one street off Bourbon, and equal distance from Canal Street and Jackson Square. Overall, I don't know if there is anything wrong with this hotel, as I said before, I think the check in tainted my opinion; but I don't think I will be returning. I think this would be a good hotel for a group of people who are just looking to party and pass out somewhere...

Reviewed 15 March 2011

The rooms are small but very comfortable. We were on the third floor which may explain why we never had a noise problem. The beds are super comfortable (I am very picky about beds) and the bedding is cleaner than in a lot of higher end hotels I've been to. The bathroom is also small but clean and perfectly serviceable, with a shower that was NOT one of those weak trickles you get at a lot of hotels. The staff at the front desk, both in the morning and evening, were friendly. Breakfast is generous (others here have listed the items). For tea drinkers, this is the best I've had in the US because the hot water dispenser has a "boil" button which means you don't have to suffer the luke warm tea you get in most places. We didn't try the pool (too cold), but the area around it in the courtyard, though tiny, was quite cosy. There's free wifi. Across the street is a restaurant called Bayona or something like that, which has some of the most delicious food. Another restaurant we liked was Red Fish Grill. The hotel has a wonderful location, close to everything in the French Quarter. Though we had no time to go on any tours, we saw the front desk people being very helpful to other guests about arranging tours. I would gladly go back to this affordable, cosy hotel. I think the place would also be family friendly. We saw several families with small children at breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
DauphineOrleans, Director of Sales at Dauphine Orleans Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience and thoughts. It was a pleasure having you stay with us and we look forward to your future trips.

Best,

Dawn
504-586-1897

Reviewed 13 March 2011

I booked this hotel in September via "Travelocity" because it wa one block behind Bourbon Street. The hotel also provided breakfast every morning which allowed me to sleep in longer. We arrived late Saturday night due to snow in Chicago. "Eric" at the front desk was very helpful, provided us with a wonderful room away from the street on the second floor. Despite all negative reviews written about this hotel, it was one of the better hotels I have stayed at. Everything was clean, people were pleasant and helpful. The maid did a wonderful job of cleaning the room when requsted. The hotel is convient to all parts of the French Quarter. It was nice to party every night and have only one block to walk.

Reviewed 10 March 2011

This was my second stay at this hotel, and this trip my partner and I opted for a full suite in the Herrman House, across the road from the main hotel.
We got room 243 which is the entire upper floor of a lone standing house.
The steps up to the room were sloping and a bit of a concern, and probably not the best for any elderly (or similar) guests.

The suite was huge, but dont expect The Hilton. It has character and is lowly lit, which suited the atmosphere of the place.
The suite contained a large sitting room, a wet bar with fridge and small sink, a large bedroom with King sized bed, and ensuite. A flat screen TV was located in the bedroom and one in the sitting room.

The maid service during our stay was very good and when we requested that the fridge be cleaned, it was attended to promptly.

The location is excellent as it is right in the heart of the French Quarter, close to Bourbon Street. Everything is in easy walking distance.

The free continental breakfast (served at Mae Baileys across the street) was always tasty with good tea and coffee.

We got to share a cab back to the airport which cost about $17 each.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple