“A Gem with Caring Staff”

Dauphine Orleans Hotel
Ranked #43 of 164 Hotels in New Orleans
Oyster Bay, New York
“A Gem with Caring Staff”
Reviewed 11 January 2013

I admit a preference for small hotels especially in large cities, and found the Dauphine Orleans as a delightful host to our forty-eight hours in New Orleans. Its location is perfect, allowing us to walk to Jackson Square, Julia Street, and also allowing us to avoid the noise and chaos of Bourbon Street. Our room was small, but with a comfortable king size bed and lovely toiletries: delicious smelling soaps and creams. However, it was the staff at the front desk that made the hotel. During a fierce rainstorm, the Sunday morning desk clerk loaned us her personal umbrella and suggested that we not walk to St. Augustine's Catholic Church through a sketchy section of Treme. "I wouldn't let my mother walk there," she said.

Room Tip: We had a room on the fourth floor and it was exceptionally quiet.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Hazel W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (671)
  • Hebrew first
Savannah
Reviewed 10 January 2013

We were on our way to NO, already booked at another "chain" hotel when we stumbled on this gem. Located within walking distance of everything, this charming hotel was the perfect way to really get into the New Orleans experience. From check in to check out, we loved every bit of our stay. We had two rooms for our family and the price did not break the bank. We had a balcony off our room which we enjoyed using and watching the comings and goings on Dauphine Street. The staff was so helpful and the breakfast was a great way to start the day. The beds were so comfortable, the rooms were well appointed, I just have nothing negative to say about our stay!!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank photomom89
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 8 January 2013

I'd like to give Dauphine Orleans a better rating, but I can't.

The Good: Great location. In the French Quarter, but not in the busiest pedestrian area, so it is possible to use the place as an escape. Service and helpfulness of the staff is first-rate and can be compared to much more expensive hotels. The facility is generally well kept and clean. The “human aspect” of our stay could not have been better. Free wireless access and I had no problems getting it up and running. The bed was comfortable.

The Bad: The room we had was cramped. I didn't expect a suite, but it was small enough that it affected what I would do when I woke up so as to not disturb my wife. Drawer space was at a premium. But the tipping point is the walls are apparently not insulated because I woke one night to an HD quality snoring concert: my wife on one side, and I could clearly hear the guy in the room above us sawing his logs as if he was in our room, and the guy next door. In fact, I almost got up because the guy next door's breathing was interrupted enough I thought he was in distress. I am not exactly a light sleeper, to say the least. I don't blame the hotel for the concert, but the fact that they sounded like they were in our room was a negative.

Other: Breakfast was unremarkable (I normally don't eat breakfast, and it was nothing to tempt me to change that). The courtyard was nice.

Overall: If The Bad is not a deal breaker, this is a good value and the staff and location will make your stay worthwhile. The staff deserves a 5, so does the location.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank eMule
Tulsa
Reviewed 6 January 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Dauphine Orleans hotel last week to celebrate our 20 year wedding anniversary. We loved the hotel and had a wonderful trip. The second day when we returned our room had still not been cleaned. I brought this to the attention of the manager, Shawn, and he sincerely apologized and had the problem corrected immediately. He even offered to personally move us to another room if we preferred. We declined, but it was great to see a manager that truly cared about his guests and doing the right thing. We will certainly be back!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
California
Reviewed 5 January 2013

Stayed two nights before our cruise. Front desk staff, Mike, bar staff and everyone we encountered were friendly and helpful. Our room was very clean and comfortable. The location was perfect. I can't wait to go back. Thanks Dauphine :)

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 4 January 2013

We just had our second stay at the Dauphine Orleans. The rooms are lovely, the location is great, and the staff is very friendly and helpful. We like to drive and their on-site parking is very convenient.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Chipper2012
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2013 via mobile

We checked in on New Year's Eve. We arrived earlier than check in so that we didn't get held up in traffic and to secure a space in the car park.
The staff were very accommodating Aisha the front of house manager was brilliant as too was mike who helped us with our bags and valet parking. In fact nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff. I have to say that the housekeeping staff were also brilliant, lovely and friendly. I have travelled extensively in the us and I have never felt so welcome as we did here. I hope whoever owns this hotel appreciates how well these people look after their guests.

The hotel was very clean, beds comfortable, flat screen tv's and large fridges. The pool area was a little haven away from the hustle and bustle, but it would have been better if the pool was heated.

They offer a complimentary breakfast and complimentary beverages during the day.

We were given coupons for a free drink on check in at the bar which was nice and the bar was very pleasant and staff helpful.

Our room had balconies overlooking dauphine street and we could sit out watching the world go by.

This was our first visit to New Orleans and we will be back and staying at this hotel for sure.

• Stayed December 2012