“Nice and Motorcycle Friendly”

Dauphine Orleans Hotel
Ranked #46 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 30 June 2014

PROS: First I want to say this is a very nice hotel. Clean, nice, room, very comfortable bed, nice pillows and competitive with pricing. Staff was friendly. Very convenient location in the French Quarter one block from Burbon Street. Pool was clean, and May Bailey's had delicious drinks. Went from June 27-29th.

What brought me to this hotel was the Secure parking with valet service. We were on a Custom motorcycle and did not want it parked 3-4 blocks away.

CON: (only 1) After arriving from a 10.5 hour ride on the motorcycle to the hotel I took a shower after checking into my room (221). There was NO water pressure, it took me about 20 minutes longer to rinse my hair (very thick), no exaggeration. I went to the front desk and told the staff and she called maintance to repair. Day 2 I got up to take a shower and the same thing, nobody had come. Again, I went to ask for it to be repaired. I saw maintenance in the hall and took him to my room and showed him, he said it was the shower head and he would get it fixed. Day 3 Same thing. NO BODY had fixed my shower. I figure this was an hour lost on my short vacation that I spent trying to get soap out of my hair :( Midday, on my third and final day, I caught the Maintenance man again and he came and changed the shower head. Still no water pressure. He said "Oh yeah, there is definitely something wrong with this water pressure, I will have to tell my boss". When I checked out I told the desk person and she compensated my by giving me $50 off my bill. I guess it was better than nothing but I would have expected more.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
GuestRelationsNOHC, Guest Relations Manager at Dauphine Orleans Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Hi didikae,

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your comfortable room and May Baily's! We do apologize for the inconvenience your broken shower head caused, and we assure you that the issue has been addressed. We hope to see you again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,570)

Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Dauphine is located in the middle of the French Quarter, in several historical buildings. This is not a slick, streamlined run-of-the-mill hotel, but gives the guests a feeling of being in an authentic New Orleans atmosphere.

The staff is very friendly, from the valet-driver to the cooks and the people in the reception. We have received all the help we need finding good restaurants and booking tickets for events. Maybe a bit more than necessary; when our delayed luggage arrived two thirty in the morning, the night guard called us up in case we needed it urgently. - We didn't.

The breakfast is well above the expectation, with a good selection of healthy and of good food. The Belgian waffle maker tops the experience.

We booked a de luxe double room with king size bed. It is well equipped with all the standard amenities, including a coffee maker and free WiFi. The room is large, and facing the backyard parking. We thought first that we could have wanted a view of the pool area, but the combination of jetlag demanding an afternoon nap, and a noisy party cooling themselves off in the pool, we are very pleased with the rooms.

The hotel is only a block away from the tourist trap Burbon Street, but we have not heard anything from the partying going on there. Not even a shooting incident four blocks away could be heard in our room.

The last little extra bit of service? Free bottled water to cope with the heat! We recommend Dauphine Orleans to anyone visiting NoLa!

1  Thank Bjaas
Reviewed 28 June 2014

This was the perfect location. It was a walk away from everything. The staff was so helpful and friendly. Everything was kept so clean. We never heard one guest make any complaints. Everyone seemed so happy and relaxesld. I can't wait to come back.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Our stay here started off with a phone call from the hotel while we were still on the road. It seemed they had oversold their rooms for four adults but had a solution planned for us. They put our kids in one room - a standard - and upgraded us to a larger room with fireplace and whirlpool tub. The young man who called us couldn't have been more apologetic or polite. We agreed to the new arrangement as our kids are 19 and 23 and being in a room well away from us was not a problem.

What was a problem was our room. It smelled dank and the furniture was so old that if you sat in the chair at the desk you nearly fell through. I was unaware when I agreed to the new arrangement that the room had no shower - ONLY a whirlpool tub. And after many years traveling I learned to stay out of tubs like that as they are rarely cleaned thoroughly nor are they sanitary. We ran a lot of hot water through it trying to determine if it was clean but hair came out of the jets and that was it for us. We showered in our kids' room which was SUPER clean and very nice. Our room was on the ground floor and was in an old part of the hotel and, while it looked charming from the outside, it was rather strange and old inside. I don't really know how they could avoid the dank smell because of high humidity and lots of rain but they need new carpet, new sitting room furniture (desperately), and they need to add a shower to that room. However, the beds and pillows were comfortable and we had a decent night's sleep.

All that being said, the staff could not have been friendlier and we liked the vibe of the hotel. It extremely convenient for walking to dinner or for sight-seeing through the French Quarter and taking in Bourbon Street. It is truly in the heart of the action and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. I would, however, stay out of the suites where my husband and I stayed.

Noise was not a factor and the bartender at the small but charming bar poured a generous drink and filled us with information and conversation in a most pleasant way. She offered us an insider's view of the city and gave some of the history of the flooding. Really fascinating enlightenment.

Breakfast was very good and offered more than the typical fare with hot waffles and fresh fruit. The area was well maintained and frequently serviced.

This is a great choice if you want to stay in the French Quarter and we would stay here again. Reasonably priced for all you get.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that isn't on the ground floor. The photo shows the room we had and that I would...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ReillyClan
Reviewed 26 June 2014

My wife and I went to New Orleans for the first time in March just after Mardi Gras. We wanted to stay in the French Quarter and ended up choosing the Dauphine Orleans Hotel. One block off Bourbon St was an ideal location. Quiet but still close to all the action. We were able to walk anywhere in the Quarter with ease. Hotel was old, but everything in the Quarter is old. Its age added to its charm. Small room, but was comfortable. Breakfast was included. Nothing fancy, but was very convenient and we didn't have to concern ourselves with food until lunch. The desk staff was very helpful in directing us to places to eat that were not tourist traps. We were satisfied with their suggestions every time. I have no qualms in recommending this hotel to anyone who is looking to stay in the French Quarter right in the middle of everything.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

David L,

Thank you for the pleasant feedback! We strive to provide a comfortable experience for our guests that allows them to tackle their days of sightseeing without a hitch! Our front desk staff love to recommend dining venues to guests, especially the places the locals frequent, not just the tourist locations. We sincerely hope you'll stay with us on your next trip to New Orleans!

Reviewed 25 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Dauphine Orleans in April 2014. The reception staff were friendly and helpful throughout our stay, recommending all the best places to enjoy gumbo, jambalaya and beignets while we were there. The room was beautiful - a real retreat to return to for a good night's sleep after a day of shopping and en evening of partying! The French Quarter Festival was on while we were there and we enjoyed listening to the parties and music as we relaxed on the balcony. The Dauphine also has a lovely swimming pool - it was too cold while we were there but it would be heaven in summer. The hotel is also in a great location - close to the action but still a quiet escape... and we felt extremely safe the whole time we were there. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front if you want a balcony overlooking the street. Alternatively, if you want...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We are currently staying in this hotel and finding it meets all our expectations. The King room is a good size with comfortable bed and coffee machine. The breakfast is excellent with fresh fruit, bagels/pastries, cereal, waffles, boiled eggs and yoghurt. Complimentary water is replenished in the room daily and drinks vouchers for the bar were provided on check in. The location is convenient to all the French Quarter has to offer. There is a small outdoor pool and fitness centre which we haven't used. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple