“Great Stay”

Ranked #43 of 164 Hotels in New Orleans
McKinney, Texas
“Great Stay”
Reviewed 28 June 2009

We really enjoyed the Dauphine Orleans. Our room was great, breakfast was good, and the wi-fi in the rooms worked perfectly. The bed was wonderful. Room clean. The location is pefect, just one block behind Bourbon St.

We booked on the hotel website for a four night mid-week stay. For the price, we could have not been more pleased.

Our large King room (#330) was on the third floor facing the street with a little balcony with table and chairs. Other posters have stated these rooms can be a little noisy at night, and they're right. But we're good sleepers and it was not a problem.

We'd definitely recommend this hotel to others and will return on our next trip.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (671)
  • Hebrew first
Cincinnati Ohio
Reviewed 27 June 2009

We stayed for 2 nights in suite 143, it had a wet bar, two flat screen TVs, whirlpool and shower in the bath, hot tub in the beautiful courtyard. The staff was very nice and helpful. Mike, the valet was especially helpful in recommending restaurants.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
texas
Reviewed 27 June 2009

Had a great time. Hotel staff was terrific. Hotel is not new but has plenty of character and charm. Hotel has a great location. We walked all over the French Quarter, Riverwalk area from this location. Hotel room has very comfortable beds and the rooms are clean.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank ikoiko
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 23 June 2009

The beds were fluffy and WONDERFUL! I normally don't sleep well when away from home, but these beds were better than home. I slept like a rock! The hotel is one block from Bourbon Street, so you can enjoy the crazy nightlife of Bourbon Street and retire to your nice, quiet hotel just steps away. The hotel was peaceful and quiet and rumored to have guests of the paranormal kind - - although we didn't experience anything. They had a nice breakfast every morning - nothling extravagant but included fresh fruit, fresh cook- yourself waffles, cereals, grits, juices, coffee, etc. The staff was very nice. If you're driving, there is valet parking for a fee. But, you really don't need a car at this location. You can walk to most places if you have a good pair of comfy shoes, or take the trolley.

I wouldn't recommend this for business unless you have your own laptop. The pc in the business center was not working, and when the pc was working, the printer was not.

Exercise room was very basic with one elliptical, 2 treadmills, and free weights. They offered cold water, clean towels and apples for guests. In spite of the few pieces of equipment, I had no problem getting time on the equipment.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank LittleBirdie13
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 14 June 2009

We just got back from a stay at the Dauphine Orleans that was wayyy too short; it was wonderful! Book from their website, and scroll down, to find great deals. Our AAA rate for the Superior King in the Annex (lovely and quiet) was $82.00; the parking was $28.00 a day, but if you take advantage of the welcome drinks, free afternoon tea, and breakfast, it will just about break even.
We travel for my husband's business, and I go along, for fun. The Dauphine's King bed was by far one of the most comfortable we have ever been in--it is downright decadent, with the beautiful duvet, pillows, and comfortable sheets! The air conditioning system worked great--which you need, after walking the Quarter, in the afternoon. There is NONE of the "old" or "left over Katrina" smell at this hotel! While it is "quaint", that does Not mean "shabby and dirty", in Any way! The courtyards and grounds are beautiful, and the patio great for morning coffee and free" USA Today" from the main office.
There is a small fridge in each room, and if you push your bottled drinks to the back of it, they will be icy in the morning...ahhhh! There is a small 'grocery' located nearby, so stock up on drinks and snacks! (If you have any room left, after Cajun food, burgers and baked potatoes at Yo Mama's Bar, and a 'special" roast beef sub from Johnny's Subs!! Oinkworthy!)
I called the hotel directly, and talked to a very nice man. Roger. I asked for a specific room that had been recommended here on TA, but not by room number. I described it to him, and he reserved exactly that room for us: Number 2414--upper floor,last one on the galley porch; with No noise of any kind at night. You'll love the exposed brick and antique style carpet in the room..along with a great flat screen tv and wireless...the perfect combo of old and new!
The location is also Great; one street off of Bourbon, so you can walk to everything easily.
The next time we go to N.O., we will definitely be staying at the DNO! The staff was friendly and helpful as well, and the little pool great for relaxing in, about 3pm, after a hot day enjoying the sights!
Romantic, friendly staff ,excellent location, and heavenly beds...all at a great price...and a free little breakfast that was Plenty to start the day..til you make it down to Cafe DuMonde, that is! :)

Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank joboxer555
Midwest City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 11 June 2009

We had a WONDERFUL experience at the Dauphine. We had a room in the building across the street. The courtyard was beautiful, the room was perfectly clean and well appointed, and we were never bothered with noise from other rooms. The front desk folks were very helpful, even offering the hotel computer when I needed to print our boarding passes for the flight home. The breakfast was more than adequate and the pool looked great--we just never had enough time to use it!
We highly recommend the Dauphine. Its location is perfect--the heart of the French Quarter without the craziness of Bourbon Street.
Also, while we had concerns about safety in New Orleans, we always felt comfortable at the Dauphine and in the Quarter.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mssbkp
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 4 June 2009

First let me say that I am a professional Meeting Planner and International Travel Director and therefore spend most of my time in hotels and traveling for business. I might look at hotels in a little different light that the average person who goes away to a hotel for the weekend. I stayed at the Dauphine Orleans twice during the last two months and my experiences couldn't have been more different. My first stay was wonderful in every way, but my second left a lot to be desired.

On April 27, 2009 I stayed at the hotel with my family who was visiting from Italy. We were greeted warmly upon our arrival by the young man behind the front desk. Check in was quick and efficient, he gave us information about the hotel and the breakfast and offered suggestions on dining, sightseeing, etc without even being prompted. We booked two rooms; a standard twin and a superior double. There was really no difference between the two rooms except that the superior had a very small balcony. Both rooms were nicely updated and comfortable and the standard room had a lovely view over the pool. The bathrooms were average sized, beds and linens were good quality. Breakfast was an expanded continental and offered a nice variety of breakfast foods. They even had a waffle maker. The Bellmen were efficient and helpful. They were able to schedule a transfer to the airport for us. By all means let them call you a cab and have them use Mustafa or his brother Mo. They have clean vehicles in good condition and are very safe drivers. I had the hotel call Mustafa again this time for my airport transfers.

My second visit was June 2-3, 2009. I had received and e-mail from the Dauphine Orleans stating that they were having an anniversary special for $69. I decided to make a quick trip to NOLA to do some business. With this special the hotel offered your choice of rooms and upgrades. I thought since I had stayed in the main hotel last time that I would "upgrade" to a carriage house room. What a mistake!

From the moment I arrived at the hotel I had a completely different experience than when I stayed there in April. The young woman at the registration desk seemed bored and I did not feel welcomed even though I was a repeat guest. I went to my room which was #103 above the pool. While it looks "charming" from the outside, the room was small and musty and had a very high cathedral type ceiling with beams. Perhaps because of this the air conditioning system was not efficient and the room was extremely humid. My business papers even curled from the dampness in the room. The bathroom, if that's what you want to call it, consisted of a small counter sink near the closet. A small jacuzzi tub that didn't look the cleanest, and a toilet were housed together in a room that was no larger than a closet. I figured that since I was only staying for one night that this would be fine. I certainly did not consider this an upgrade from the rooms in the main building.

That night as I lay in my bed I looked up to notice a very large cockroach crawling up the wall. I am extremely afraid of roaches (silly I know but I can't help it) and I immediately called the front desk. The young lady offered to have someone come and kill it but I said that I would not be comfortable in that room and either needed to be changed or would be checking out. She immediately brought keys to room #109, which is another courtyard room, and I moved. This room was on the ground floor in the rear courtyard. It can only be described as "authentic" and I felt as though it was one step above camping. The wooden entry door was so small that a tall person would have to duck in order to get in. Once I was settled I called the young lady at the desk and thanked her for moving me so quickly. She said she understood as her sister in law has the same reaction to roaches. I woke up the next morning to the smell of cigarette smoke. People were standing out in the small courtyard smoking and talking loudly on their mobile phones at 7:00 in the morning.

A different woman was on duty when I checked out. She seemed a bit bothered that I had switched rooms and she hadn't been told about it. I explained to her that it was late at night. Then again it wasn't MY responsibility to advise the next day's staff about my room change. I explained the roach situation to her and she went back to a room behind the counter and explained why I had moved to a male colleague. He said "oh people ALWAYS say it's a roach when it's JUST a waterbug". This leads me to believe that this is not the first time this has happened. Waterbug or not I have the right to have a room that is free of pests and I did not feel comfortable at the thought of sharing my room with an univited guest! I wasn't even going to mention this incident on Trip Advisor until I heard this man's indifferent and rude comments. When the woman came back I asked her how long the hotel was running the Anniversary Special. Her answer was "I don't know" and she didn't offer to find out. I witnessed her apathy towards other guests who were checking in after me.

Some positive things about the hotel are the fact that you can print your boarding pass at a computer terminal in the front lobby at no cost. The location is GREAT, can't be beat and they also offer a complimentary cocktail in their onsite bar. They have a nice pool and and exercise room. The rooms in the main hotel are nicely appointed and comfortable and the price is very fair. Would I stay there again? Not sure after this last experience, but if I did it would be in the main hotel. I prefer the Prince Conti which is literally half a block away or the Monteleone.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business