“Nice location, but odd staff and very dirty bathrooms....” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dauphine Orleans Hotel

Dauphine Orleans Hotel
Ranked #41 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Austin, TX
“Nice location, but odd staff and very dirty bathrooms....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2009

We like to stay near Bourbon street, but not directly on it, so we chose this hotel as we had never stayed here before and it is about 2 blocks off Bourbon. We booked a deluxe king room in the Herman House, which is a seperate building across the street from the main hotel. The rooms in the Herman house (especially those on the second floor) are relatively small but are very nice - exposed brick, high ceilings with beams, etc. The room itself definitely felt very old school New Orleans (note that the main hotel didn't appear to have this type of feel - we could see drop ceilings and flourescent lighting. It did appear that the rooms around the pool were old school as well.

The bathrooms are definitely not old school - look more like a remodel occurred in the 80s with no update since. The bathroom was also pretty much filthy when we arrived. The toilet clearly had not even been wiped down (smudges and stains on the rim) and the bathtub still had wet footprints in it from the previous guest. We mentioned this to the desk clerk on duty on our way out for the day and they seemed genuinely surprised and advised that someone would be right up to clean up the bathroom. No such luck. We came back late and the bathroom was still the same - it was clear that no maid had been in our room to do anything. The next morning, we purposely left a small piece of hair on the rim when we went out. We stopped by and mentioned the bathroom situation to the clerk on duty and once again were advised it would be taken care of. Imagine our surprise when we returned and found the exact same problems.

We complained at checkout and the manager who was available then acted somewhat put off by our complaint, actually stating that we hadn't specifically asked for the toilet to be wiped down - Since when is this a special request!?! After 20 minutes of dicussion, we were offered a $20 discount per night and sent on our way.

It is also worth noting that you get a couple beer/wine coupons to the next door bar, which used to be a brothel. Neat place, but once again a bit too much of the 80s brass and glass re-do remains. We asked two different bartenders for food recommendations and got the lamest most indiferent attitude imaginable from both of them. The only staff members with any personality or of any real help were the valets.

If you are looking for a hotel in a location like this with old school rooms, I'd stay at the St. Marie instead. It has the same location (maybe even a bit better for locating after a long night out on the town), also has a pool, has more charming rooms, and has better staff...

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank bigdaddy1000

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (641)
  • Hebrew first
Gulf Breeze, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2009

Stayed for the weekend in room 237. I booked early and got a rate of $79, when I checked in they offered me a $20 night upgrade to courtyard room in the Hermann House. We took it and worth the money for the King room. The hotel is located 1 block off Bourbon St, a super location and quite at night. You do pay $28 per day in parking. The only thing that keeps this from being 5 stars is the room is smaller than a standard hotel room, but who spends time in the room? The water is SUPER HOT, they have a jetted tub for one. The bed is very comfortable and the AC works, 60 degrees in the room. This hotel will be my first choice on every trip. I have been to NO 27 times and stayed all over town. If you are going to the FQ this is the hotel for two people per room.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MayiHelpU
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2009

I really liked the Dauphine. We had a double, which faced Dauphine street and had a balcony. The room was very tastefully decorated in contemporary colors and textiles and the bathroom was clean. We also had a flat screen TV in the room, which was nice. The staff was very nice and helpful, and the grounds are beautiful. We got quite a bit of noise from the street, so if you are a light sleeper you might consider requesting a room away from the street. However, I did not hear any noise from other rooms.

You get a coupon for a complimentary drink ticket at May Baily's, the bar that's on the grounds of the Dauphine, which I didn't get to use because I couldn't quite figure out the open hours of the bar. I did use the gym, which was really cute--it was small, but contained an elliptical, bike, treadmill and some dumb bells, as well as towels. All of the equipment was in good working order.

The saltwater pool looked very inviting, but again, I didn't get to use it--there is so much to see and do!

Overall, it was a very comfortable stay. I would have liked to have some pay per view movies, and it would be nice to have better sound insulation on the balcony doors, but I enjoyed my stay at the Dauphine.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Elliemay72
Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2009

I'll start by saying that we loved the location of the hotel. We were only a couple of blocks from Bourbon Street and within a very easy walk to Jackson Square, Canal Place and the Riverwalk. My husband and I were there with a fairly large group for a family reunion. The employees we met were very kind and had great suggestions for meals, tours and activities. However, we were not as excited about the room....the "Deluxe King" was anything but. it was very small and lacked any type of a view. The water pressure from the bathroom sink was non-existent. we requested that maintenance take a look at it 2 times but they didn't - in addition no one ever followed up with us. Even if they couldn't fix it because the plumbing is bad or the property is old, it would have been nice to receive some sort of response. However, I must admit that the walls were well insulated, so we were not awakened by noise from neighbors, the hallway, parking garage or anywhere else. We visit New Orleans at least twice a year and though the location was great, I am not sure we would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
DOHNewOrleans, Hotel Manager at Dauphine Orleans Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2009
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking your valuable time to share with us your recent experience as our guest at the Dauphine Orleans Hotel.

I appreciate having the benefit of your comments and was very disappointed to learn of your dissatisfaction with your room. I must apologize that you never received a response concerning the problems you experienced with the water pressure.

While we can not undo your previous service experience, we certainly would like an opportunity to rectify your future service expectations and experience.

If you would allow the Dauphine Orleans another opportunity to serve you in the future, I would like to offer you a complimentary night on your next visit to New Orleans. Please note that this offer is based on availability upon time of booking and may not be available during special events or convention blocked dates.

Please call or e-mail the Hotel Manager when you are ready to make your reservation. We look forward to hearing from you and serving you at the Dauphine Orleans Hotel.

Shawn Gray
Hotel Manager
Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2009

I, too, had done extensive research before choosing the Dauphin Orleans. Although we had been to New Orleans numerous times, I was a bit turned off by some of the reviews at places where we had stayed previously. We loved this hotel -- location, ambience, value/price, cleanliness, and service. We had a larger room in the Herman House across the street. It opened off the courtyard and had a small balcony overlooking the street (much too hot outside to enjoy!), a marble bath, a brick wall on one side, a vaulted ceiling, a mini-fridge, and an incredibly comfortable bed. We did not avail ourselves of the free breakfast since we opted to go to Cafe du Monde for beignets, but we did help ourselves to the free class of wine the evening before in the hotel's bar, which was quite charming. The desk staff was extremely friendly and helpful in recommending restaurants and giving directions. Everyone who worked there had a great attitude of customer service. In fact, when a carpenter/painter saw me struggling to get a suitcase down an outside flight of stairs, he stopped what he was doing and insisted on carrying my bag down the stairs. I couldn't believe it -- what service above and beyond! The only drawback is the lack of elevators -- some rooms are not accessible, so if climbing stairs is an issue, be sure to ask for a room you can get to. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2009

After extensive searches on the internet, I decided on the Dauphine Orleans. Their website was accurate in information and pictures, and our stay was everything I expected and more. The hotel is well situated, one block from Bourbon Street, with a pleasant breakfast including fresh fruit and waffles. The rooms in the Herman House extension across from the main hotel were especially large, with lovely bed linens and a quiet, charming courtyard. The pool was small but refreshing. Mae Baileys pub on location was perfect for a quiet gathering spot. The staff was very helpful with tours and dining suggestions. And a lovely touch ~ flags out front ~ as a Canadian, I was glad to see ours!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2009

I recently returned from a 3 night stay at the Dauphine Orleans. I was in New Orleans to attend a conference at the Ritz Carlton. My husband was tagging along so we turned it into a semi-vacation, and because he was with me, I didn't want to stay at the Ritz since the location was a bit out of the way, and I wanted more amenities. I spent weeks researching French Quarter hotels on TripAdvisor, other sites, and guidebooks, and decided on the Dauphine Orleans. What a great decision!

This was our 4th visit to New Orleans in the past 9 years. Previously we stayed at the Sheraton, W French Quarter, and Omni Royal Orleans. Although the Omni has a slight edge on location, the Dauphine Orleans' rooms are twice the size for half the cost. We were only 3 blocks from the conference, which made for an easy walk to and from. My friends who stayed at the Ritz because they didn't know better visited my room and were a bit jealous... they all said they wished they had booked the Dauphine Orleans instead. They loved the charm and character.

I had originally booked a Premium King Carriage House room, but called the hotel a week before my stay to upgrade to a Superior King in the Hermann House courtyard, which is right across the street. Another great decision. We arrived before the stated check-in time but our room was ready. We were in room #236, which is the upper level front room with a very large balcony. Amazing! There is a locked gate leading from Dauphine Street into the courtyard-- guests use their room key to open it. There is no elevator, so if you get a 2nd floor room be prepared to use the stairs. The room was huge! There were brick walls on 2 sides, a vaulted/beamed ceiling, and two doors leading to the balcony. A granite-top vanity was outside the bathroom, which made it easy for both of us to get ready in the morning. There was generous storage space in the vanity's drawers and cabinets. There was a closet with 10 hangers and room for more, plus the safe was in the closet. The bathroom had a jacuzzi tub (we didn't use) and good shower pressure. Towels were soft & fluffy. The room had a fridge, LCD TV, track lighting, and the VERY comfy bed.

One of my favorite features of the hotel was the Hermann House courtyard. So lush & tropical! Tables, chairs, and benches were provided, which made it a nice place to read or relax... very quiet. I saw a hot tub in a secluded corner, but it was covered so I'm not sure when it is used. We did not use the pool in the main hotel area, but lots of families were taking advantage of it. We didn't use the exercise room, either. We did, however, enjoy some wine in the hotel bar using the free drink coupons. Nice little place, and we wished we had time to go back again. We ate breakfast two mornings in the hotel's breakfast room. Perfectly fine... my husband always enjoys making waffles, and I thought there was a nice variety of breakfast foods & drinks.

All of the hotel staff members were very friendly and helpful... from the front desk staff, to the bartender, to the breakfast host, and the parking attendants we passed. Roger, the reservations rep who helped me with my room selection, was great, as well.

Some minor inconveniences to mention... Although I loved the room and the balcony, the balcony doors were less insulating than I'd like, and street noise woke me up a lot. I'm a light sleeper anyway, and used to my quiet street at home... so all the delivery trucks, an occasional laying on the horn, and passing groups of motorcycles were a bit too loud for me. Not the hotel's fault, but I'd probably ask for a room in the back of the building next time, although my husband didn't mind the noise as much. Another minor problem was a lack of hot water on day #2 for me. It was only lukewarm, but got hot for my husband's shower 10 minutes later. Also, the hotel's guest computer was out of service during our stay so we weren't able to check the internet. We didn't bring a laptop to use the free Wifi, but just lived without email for a couple of days. No biggie, but if you absolutely need the lobby's computer you may want to call ahead to make sure it's working. From reading earlier reviews, I had been a little concerned about hordes of smokers congregating in the courtyards, but I didn't encounter this at all. I'm very sensitive to smoke so I would have noticed it. Even the bar didn't have any smokers in it when we were there.

So overall, we had a wonderful stay at the Dauphine Orleans! I highly recommend it, and it will be our first choice when visiting New Orleans in the future.

(This review was edited to correct the room number... I discovered my mistake after my first review was posted. Since the rooms are unique, I wanted to make sure the correct room number was listed.)

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business