The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel
Ranked #18 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 28 August 2012

I stayed this past June with my husband for a Conference he was attending. The Hotel was very elegant, the staff are incredibly accomodating and our room and facilities were clean and in order. The Hotel is 5 minutes walking from the very popular Bourbon Street and about 15 from the Aquarium and the Pier. You can also get on the trolly, but we rather walk. The pool area was amazing. We very much enjoyed relaxing and catching some rays. All in all, great experience, great hotel! You truly live up to standards!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank HyperGirl76

Reviewed 24 August 2012

I had business to do in New Orleans so my husband and I decided to make a weekend of it before the work week as we were celebrating our birthdays on top of it all. We planned to use Hilton Honors points for the weekend and then booked a separate reservation not using points. This hotel is spendy -- $200 + but you get what you pay for. We had serious issues getting to the hotel due to airline issues so we ended up not arriving until a day after our reservation. I had called the hotel and Hilton Customer Service (I am a Diamond Member) to let them know we were going to miss our first night and to get a refund on 50,000 points. I must say I was so thankful with the service and while it took a little while on the phone to accomplish due to computer systems it wasn't a problem. My points were refunded and I was still able to use points for the second night stay. When we finally arrived at the hotel the next afternoon around 4pm the valet staff is so friendly. They should be for $40.00 a day to park the car, but they deserve the tips they earn. I tipped extra on this trip. The valet parking is directly across the street and while we didn't need the car during our weekend stay I did need it during the week for three days of work. By the time I called down and took the elevator the car was waiting. Our check in was pleasant as well - the front desk really goes the extra mile. We were told we were upgraded to a King Suite but that they were running behind on getting the rooms ready. They gave us drink vouchers to use in The Sazerac Bar (which is a nice quiet beautiful place in itself)and when the wait extended to two hours we asked for additional and more were given. The bar has many unique drinks worth trying. It helped take the edge off the wait and I must say the room was wroth it. WOW. The room was just amazing, clean, the bed is one of the best out of all of the Hiltons I've stayed in over the years. Robes are provided, slippers, two rooms, three tv's -- flat screen in the living room, one in the bedroom and a smaller one in the bathroom. Do not touch the mini bar fridge if you do not want to get charged. We new ahead of time that if anything was touched you own it. They do go to great lenghts to tell you this -- their is a card in with your room key as well. The mini bar is expensive -- $10.00 for M&M so go to the CVS a block away if you have a chocolate craving. The bathroom is small but clean and very nice. The shower had jets which were fabulous and made up for the smallness of the shower area and the lack of a tub. That would really be my only criticism -- tub would have been nice. The tile work in the shower and floor is elegant as well. Maid service is great too - with bed turn downs and chocolates left. I did dine at Domenica as well -- the food was great and the atmosphere is casual. This hotel is a great location as well -- sits on Canal across the street from Bourbon and is just a minute walk to everything. We also walked to the French Quarter within 10 - 15 minutes with no problems. Close to everything. The best part was it was quiet. We did not hear a lot of hotel noise or street noise which was fabulous. We were at the end of a hallway though which helped on our floor. I've stayed at other hotels in New Orleans before and this one has them all beat by several stars. I'd stay here again without a doubt. It's a beautiful hotel, with excellent service. I really can't say enough positive things. Thank you for an excellent stay!

Room Tip: Ask to be at the end of a hallway to help keep noise low. Bring ear plugs regardless.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Lady_Nafziger
Reviewed 24 August 2012

This was my fourth time back to the Roosevelt and not my last. We were moving my daughter into college for her second year. We were coming from a vacation in paradise Island and needed some boxes shipped so they would be there when we arrived. They informed me the boxes could be shipped directly to the hotel when I asked about the closest FedEx office. Easy pickup and carried right to car. The staff and concierge are extremely professional and friendly. Always a smile on their faces. Bed is so comfortable and rooms are extremely clean. Food is incredible! Pool beautiful and maintained beautifully. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank NinaHow1
Reviewed 23 August 2012 via mobile

We had an amazing room and great time in new Orleans. Would definitely stay there again!! The staff were all above and beyond friendly and accommodating. The rooms were amazingly clean and the beds were so comfy

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank HappyCampersRWe
Reviewed 23 August 2012

This is a beautiful hotel with all the grandeur and luxury. From the lobby, with the baby grand paino, to the shoe shine station (original) with one of the original shoe shine staff. (really) This hotel takes you back in history in the Sazarac Bar, The murals were commissioned and painted
by a famous artist and has history of a famous politician. The spa is well worth the extra expense and Don, our concierge, was remarkable. Our stay at the Hotel was the best.

Room Tip: Take the St. Charles Trolley and visit the mansions of St.Charles ave
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank frzzy58
Reviewed 22 August 2012

If you love old classic luxury hotels and history you owe yourself a stay at the Roosevelt in New Orleans. Don't stay here if you are looking for bargains and freebies, there are none, however you will find excellent service, a very friendly staff from the front door on. The rooms are very clean and comfortable, outstanding beds, pillows, linens, bath amenities. I chose the Superior King room and would highly recommend it since it offers a nice sitting area and is bigger than other king rooms I have stayed in at other New Orleans hotels.The room I had on the 8th floor of tower one was very quiet but did not have a good view. The hotel is surrounded by other buildings that most likely limits great views unless you are on the top few floors of either tower. The nightly turn down service is a nice touch. A previous reviewer complained about slow internet, I had no issues with it being slow on my stay other than you have to pay for it like a lot of hotels and it's pricey. Valet parking like all hotels in the French Quarter and Downtown is very pricey. I didn't know this until after I had allowed the valet to park my car, but there are two self parking garages near the hotel. One next door and one at an angle across the street on the University Place side of the hotel which is the side you enter if you arrive by car, both offer lower prices than what the hotel charges for valet parking per day. The happy hour during the evening at Domenica's in the Roosevelt is good, they have reduced prices on all menu items and drinks. The Sazerac Restaurant has good breakfast and good coffee, as does Teddy's Cafe. The Sazerac Bar is supposed to be restored to how it was back in the old days when the Roosevelt was THE hotel in New Orleans, I stopped in for one of their famous Sazerac cocktails during the early afternoon, I didn't much care for the cocktail, I will stick with my fave martini, the bar is very classy and worth a visit for your favorite libation. To sum it all up, this is a grand old hotel and it is nice to see it restored and brought back to life after Fairmont Hotels had abandoned it after Hurricane Katrina. I enjoyed my stay very much. I visit New Orleans a few times per year and I will consider staying here again. I am a rather frugal person so this was somewhat of a splurge for me, there were much better deals at other hotels nearby but I have wanted to stay here since it reopened a few years back and I am glad that I did.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Richard C
TheRoosevelt, Manager at The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Dear Richard C,

Thank you so much for taking the time and sharing your experience with our TripAdvisor community. We are pleased that you more than loved your last stay with us. Our goal at The Roosevelt New Orleans is to create memorable experiences for our guests and leave with unforgettable memories. At the Roosevelt Hotel, we value reviews like yours because it validates that our guests do leave our hotel with a wonderful impression. We thank you for your patronage and hope that you are able to stay with us soon.

Best,
The Roosevelt New Orleans Team Members

Reviewed 22 August 2012

Short and sweet business trip to the Big Easy. As a Hilton Honors member, was looking to keep it "in the family" and find a nice hotel with convenient access to both the Central Business District and the French Quarter. The property was formerly the Fairmont Hotel and has one of the most gorgeous and ornate lobbies - think very gilded, Art Deco style. My host in New Orleans explained to me that during Christmas time the lobby is totally decked out with unbelievable decorations. A few days prior to my arrival, I received an email from the hotel concierge introducing himself and inquiring if I needed any reservations during my stay. Didn't require his help, but it was a very nice touch. Front desk staff were very friendly, efficient, and knowledgable. Thanks to my Hilton Honors status I was upgraded to a luxurious one bedroom suite. Very neatly appointed with a spacious living room containing plush furnishings. It was perfect for a short business meeting with two other colleagues. Would be ideal for corporate recruiting or any other situation requiring a nice private space for a meeting. Down the hall was the bedroom with king bed. Fantastic mattress and comfy linens. I was on the 8th floor in Tower 1. A teensy bit of street noise did come in during the night - but mostly motorcycles revving their engines so it would have been hard to miss unless you were on the 50th floor of some building. And hey, it's New Orleans if you don't like street noise, you aren't going to like this city. Bathroom had both multi-head shower and a separate bathtub. Grabbed cocktails at the Sazerac Bar and enjoyed a couple of the namesake cocktails. The environment was incredible - again a very stylized Art Deco room with a beautiful bar area. Good place that got pretty busy on a Tuesday night. Only knock against Sazerac was that they did not offer any food beyond the bar snacks (cornnuts, pretzels, and really tasty truffled potato chips) Headed for dinner at Domenica - the Italian bistro in the hotel. I'll do a separate review there - but it was excellent. After dinner wandered one block from the hotel down to Bourbon street to take in that scenery. Conveniently located to take in all that the Quarter has to offer and stumble back easily. Overall, I would STRONGLY recommend this hotel for business travelers or upscale vacationers looking for a nice upper tier hotel in an ideal location with near flawless execution.

Room Tip: The suites are the best option for a longer stay or if you intend to conduct business in the hotel...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business