“Surprisingly, I enjoyed my stay....for the most part”

The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel
Ranked #21 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
New York City, New York
“Surprisingly, I enjoyed my stay....for the most part”
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I read the reviews and ended up choosing this hotel (mostly because the others I wanted were already booked up!) The "face-to-face service" was great but the
behind-the-scenes" staff could use some improvement. Housekeeping was minimal - no refreshing of the used items. I left generous tips every morning and didn't feel like the room was left to typical standards. And my room was teeny tiny! I noticed the room was never vacuumed - the same crumbs were there my entire stay. I had to roam the halls looking for housekeeping to ask for additional Kleenex. The nighttime turn-down service was much more thoughtful though! I wish I could I have tipped them. Front desk was terrific. I have medium status with Hilton Honors and they seemed to acknowledge that, although couldn't help me with an upgrade due to hotel availability. My expectations were low knowing that it was an old hotel. Overall, it was better than I though it would be, but I might try another hotel the next time.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (587)
  • Polish first
Durham, United States
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I was there for a convention, and initially picked the place because it was one of the hotels recommended by the meeting. It was a nice and luxurious room. I travel often for meetings and I have stayed at multiple hotels all around the world. The Waldorf Astoria has been the best hotel I stayed at.

Ellicott City, Maryland
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Room was clean, bedding fresh, super comfortable bed and service outstanding. The nightly rate is a bit pricey, however, to be steps away from Canal St there is a cost. Very nice for a couples romantic get-a-way. Overnight delivery trucks were a noicey so just be prepared to be awakend at times.

Room Tip: Choice a room away from the loading dock.
Inverness, United States
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Hats off to the entire staff. I don't think I have ever been to a hotel where even the staff working to change linens would greet you so kindly in the hallway, and with a smile. I'm not sure if it is because of Waldorf Astoria, because of New Orleans or a combo between the two but it made us feel extremely safe and welcomed. Every time we ran into someone in the hallway the greeted us with a smile and a kind, sincere "good morning." The thing that we missed the most at the hotel, however, was the presence of complimentary tea/coffee. I realize there is a barista downstairs so its a conflict of interest, but most hotels at least have a way to heat up water and with my wife being sick on this trip it would have been very beneficial. I found myself going outside the hotel often to get reasonably priced tea/coffee. Everything else about the hotel was outstanding. We attended a wedding reception and the found was amazing. I wish I had time to eat more of it! My daughter and I also got to meet Chef John Besh in the lobby which was a really cool touch. Thank you for the wonderful experience.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Enjoyed the old'school theme. Friendly and helpful staff, variety of on-location restaurants and sparkling rooms. A few blocks off the Riverwalk, but still a good location. I will definitely go back and recommend others to try it out.

Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 14 November 2013

The lobby is beautiful and the hotel is extremely quiet and well maintained. The room was extremely comfortable and the shower was awesome. The pool is outdoors with a hot tub and bar. The issue is the price. For the rate the concierge was virtually useless (they couldnt even recommend an oyster bar thats attached to the other hilton and couldnt be bothered to know anything about tours), the location was a bit farther than some of the other hotels, and the "status" perks are poor. As a gold member we received a drink ticket, to a bar you couldnt get a seat at (sazerac). If you're getting married or having a bar mitzvah this hotel would be stellar, but for a vacation in NO I'd seek out a different hotel. There is another Hilton property on St Charles avenue that seems to be more of a vacation spot.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jill H
Savannah, United States
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Great place ... Sazerac bar was something from the past come to life! Staff was very cordial and helpful. Meeting rooms were very ornate and the perfect temperature. I would recommend this location to anyone looking for a classic hotel stay!

1 Thank Thomas W