“Beatuiful Hotel at Christmas”

The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel
Ranked #18 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Beatuiful Hotel at Christmas”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2013

Overall, we had a very nice stay and I would stay there again if it is in the summer. The issue was the holiday events. This is like the Rockefeller tree, the light show at Wanamaker's or any other city-based Christmas tradition - everyone came to visit and the hotel service had to give somewhere. To do it again on this particular weekend before Christmas, I would stay elsewhere and visit this hotel for the lights and then go back to the quiet.

The good:
*Lobby is decorated beautifully - great picture-taking opportunity
*The lobby itself is historic
*The gift shop has beautiful items - it's not your typical gift shop
*The rooms are beautiful
*The beds are comfortable
*The food is good at the restaurants and drinks are good at the bar
*We were able to check in early
*Free newspapers

Areas for improvement:
*We had a suite and the bathroom was tiny - tiny like you had to move around in the bathroom to open and close the bathroom door. It's an old place, but if having a tub or a lot of room in the bathroom is important, you want to think about this.
*The service in the Fountain Room for lunch was slow - 25 minutes from order to table.

Things to think about:
*The hotel was CROWDED - I cannot emphasize this enough. We went on the weekend prior to Christmas and this was prime time for families to come and take pictures and have tea with Santa. Kids, noise, lots of people. As a result of this:
*We had no help in getting bags in the hotel as the poor staff was inundated with visitors
*We could not get a cab as the front area was mobbed. We walked to Canal to get a cab.

Overall, it was a beautiful hotel, rich in history. I would recommend it, but be warned about the crowds at Christmas.

1 Thank FuninPhx71
TheRoosevelt, Manager at The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Dear FuninPhx71,

We are delighted that you were able to stay with us during the holidays this year. Thank you for taking the time and sharing your recent experience with our TripAdvisor community. The holidays at The Roosevelt are a joyful time in the city, one in which locals and visitors enjoy visiting. We hope you’re your travels do not keep you far from New Orleans and we hope you are able to stay with us again.

Happy Holidays,
The Roosevelt Hotel Team Members

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013 via mobile

New Orleanians call the Lobby at the Roosevelt Hotel the most perfect place to go for Christmas spirit.
The lobby is beautifully decorated with dozens of real fur trees, each covered in thousands of twinkling white lights .
Live musicians play at different times of the day, and make your own hot chocolate is sold in the lobby.
So many wonderful holiday traditions in this city, and the magic all starts in this hotel; beautifully dressed families Attend the Teddy Bear christmas Tea, the sazerac bar is packed with elegantly dressed patrons.
This is a wonderful place to visit if you are in New Orleans.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Wendycity51,

We are delighted that you were able to visit our hotel during the holiday season this year. It always brings a smile to our face when people leave our lobby in the Holiday Spirit. For many years, families have traveled to The Roosevelt during this time to experience our Winter Wonderland. Thank you for sharing your holiday experience with our TripAdvisor community and we hope that you are able to visit us again.

Happy Holidays,
The Roosevelt Hotel
Jackson, Mississippi
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013

I am a silver Hilton Honors member and always try to stay at Hilton properties. I can honestly say this is the worst experience I have ever had at a Hilton property. I was rudely informed during check in that I could not even be considered for an upgrade because my level was not high enough ( just say you do not have availability). I asked to print some tickets out in the business center and was told it would be a $25 charge. I politely asked the concierge to assist me since I was by myself with 3 small children and he would not help me. Later I had dinner in Teddy's Cafe in the hotel with my 3 children and had my ipad stolen in the restaurant. After the initial contact with security to report the incident and look at the security tapes I was never followed up with again. I spoke with the manager the next morning and begged him to follow up since they could clearly see the person stealing my ipad but he just looked at me with a blank stare and I have yet to hear from anyone at the hotel despite my numerous attempts to follow up. Did not offer to comp our room, dinner, anything. Honestly the security at this hotel is much less than the Ritz or other hotels I have stayed at in New Orleans. About the only good thing I can say is that the Christmas decorations were beautiful.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
10 Thank MCB0203
TheRoosevelt, Front Office Manager at The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Dear MCB0203,

Thank you so much for your recent stay with us and taking the time to speak with me briefly about your stay. It is our goal that all of our guests depart with a yearning to return and when that expectation falls short, we appreciate knowing how to improve for our future guests. Rest assured that our Security Team is amongst the best in the business and takes a great deal of pride in what they do including the scenario mentioned during your stay. Im sorry that you felt that this was not the case, but we will continue to work with you in anyway possible. We hope for a positive outcome and that you will choose to stay with us again in the future.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

Pros:
Location
Sleep Quality

Cons:
Expensive
Crowded

We stayed one night in December of 2013.

Parking was hectic with valets running all over the street. The valets were attentive, but needed some extra help.

Check-in was quick. There is no dedicated Hilton Honors check-in counter, but that's not a big deal. We were met by a cheerful desk agent and she outlined the additional amenities that came with our stay. We were upgraded from a standard king room to a superior king room. The lobby is beautifully decorated and a ton of people were taking pictures and crowing the lobby area.

Our room was beautifully appointed, but oddly laid-out. The difference between the standard and superior room is the size of the main room and the addition of a sitting area. However, the TV is in the sitting area, about 20-25 feet from the head of the bed. The bathroom was very nice, but small. The four-head shower was a fun novelty, but didn't add any special value to me.

The best part of the stay was the AWESOME night's sleep. The room temperature was perfect. The pillows were high quality. The linen and comforter were perfect.

The Sazerac bar was loud and crowded. The bartender was helpful and mixed very nice drinks. We could barely hear ourselves talk, so we made our way out into the city.

The hotel held our luggage until late in the day after check-out so we could explore the city. Valet and bellmen were incredibly busy, but were doing their best to keep up with everyone.

Overall, I was impressed with the accommodations. The total price was quite high, but you expect that when staying at a W-A property. Again, I'd gladly pay extra at any other hotel to have the quality of sleep I had at the W-A.

Thanks for a great stay!

New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

This hotel is such an institution. It's been around for decades, but recently reopened after a major renovation. It's like walking back in time when you enter the doors. You'll feel like it's 1957 again. It's great. The lobby is wonderfully decorated around the holidays and the rooms are well detailed and spacious. Another perk to this hotel is the wonderful bar (Sazerac) and restaurant (Domenica) that are on the hotel grounds. Sazerac is such a cool bar that serves mean drinks and the food at Domenica is world class. I can't say enough about this wonderful hotel. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Port Saint Joe, Florida, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

In the gift shop there were theme trees, one LSU, Saints, etc. The entryway was a glorious display of lights. We had planned to sample a samara drink at the bar but it was so NOISEY we left. Several wedding receptions, football fans and Christmas light viewers!! Suggest you to during the day when most folks are at work. We were told it took 14 people to decorate and I don't doubt it.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Pace, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

We have previously stayed at the Riverfront Hilton when visiting New Orleans, but decided to try the Roosevelt after reading the excellent reviews on this site. We were not disappointed and plan to return on our next visit. As mentioned in previous postings, every staff member we encountered during our stay was smiling, polite and extremely helpful - with one exception that I will later address. The hotel is gorgeous - and I don't use that word often. The lobby was beautifully decorated with lights, garlands, Christmas trees and bows and smelled of pine. Wonderful! We enjoyed watching groups of families and friends taking their annual photos with the lobby and gingerbread village as back drops. Our room was spacious, clean and relaxing. However we had some difficulty using the multi-headed shower that did not appear to work properly. During our stay we had breakfast at Teddy's and after dinner drinks at Sazarac. Wait staff were attentive and professional. We are looking forward to returning to the Roosevelt. I did briefly interact with a "prickly" individual in the Gift Shop (she was possibly a manager or supervisor) but found that experience to be an exception to the otherwise impeccable service at the hotel.

Room Tip: Our room was located on the 10th floor on the inside "court yard" of the hotel and was ver...