“Absolutely Lovely Hotel”

The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel
Ranked #18 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The hotel was extraordinary and welcoming. The rooms were comfortable, the decor was beautiful and the service was excellent. This will always be my hotel of choice when visiting New Orleans. The location was just right in distance to the French Quarter and all the festivities in the Canal street area. Well worth the money spent and the food was magnificent.

2  Thank Gail H
TheRoosevelt, Manager at The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Gail,

Thank you for taking the time and sharing your experience with our TripAdvisor community. We are delighted that you had a wonderful time at our hotel and thought it was absolutely lovely. We are pleased that you took advantage of our location and were able to experience all the Crescent City has to offer. We hope that your travels bring you back to New Orleans soon and we look forward to your next stay.

The Roosevelt New Orleans Team Members

Write a ReviewReviews (3,972)

Reviewed 16 July 2014

This hotel was the most beautiful and wonderful hotel I have ever stayed in for work or personal. We upgraded our reservation to a King Suite and I will say it was worth every cent and actually more in my opinion. Our room was as much a part of our vacation as the food, history and sights of New Orleans. Kudos to our concierges Ray and Cody and to Sally in the gift shop. I would never stay anywhere but here in New Orleans.

Room Tip: after you book, you are given a chance to upgrade - DO IT!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mifflinearl

Dear mifflinearl,

Thank you for taking the time and sharing your experience with our TripAdvisor community. We are delighted that you had a wonderful time at our hotel. We are overjoyed that our staff was able to make you feel comfortable and add a bit of New Orleans charm to your stay. Thank you for your kind compliments on our King Suite and pleased to learn that it added a special memory to your vacation. We hope that your travels do not keep you far from New Orleans and that you are able to stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

The rooms are fantastic. Though since it is an older hotel that has been renovated there isn't a "traditional" room. All rooms are a bit different in size and setup. The bathrooms are large and ceilings are high. The location couldn't be better. A short walk to the quarter but without the noise or craziness.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My wife, friends and I must have stayed at the other Roosevelt Hotel in New Orleans--the really good one. Our experience was excellent although I realize the hotel might not be good for everyone. We were upgraded to a suite and our friends were upgraded to a superior room. Given the age of the structure the rooms were in amazingly good shape. Not scratches, bumps or dents. The internet service was good but having to log on each time you used a device became annoying. Like other Hilton properties they still charge for the internet unless you are a member of their loyalty group. Not acceptable. Housekeeping and turn-down service were excellent and the cleaning staff was very friendly. The front desk was a bit under staffed but the other lobby personnel were plentiful and very good at their jobs. Since it was so warm during our stay we used the hotel rooftop pool several times. It is not a lap pool and is not suitable for serious swimming when crowded but it helps guests avoid the heat of the city. Service at the pool bar was very good--friendly and professional.

This is an old hotel with old style furnishings so it might not appeal to anyone looking for a 'modern' hotel experience. But given the relatively modest cost of our rooms and the excellent quality of the services and facilities we would certainly stay there again and recommend it to our friends.

2  Thank peter t
Reviewed 15 July 2014

The hotel has been beautifully restored and is in a great location. Loved the pool area, which is nice to have in the heat of the summer! Would have like to dined at Domenica, but it was closed for remodel. Just another good reason to return!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This hotel is very easy to get to via Canal Street and located directly across the street from the French Quarter and one end of Bourbon Street. The neighborhood and location didn't seem to be anything I should be concerned of and we felt safe there. Upon arriving we took the car to valet (NOTE** There is NO OPTION FOR SELF PARK - YOU MUST VALET at the current rate of nearly $45). We were promptly greeted by Zack, our car was unloaded and sent on our way - this was a breeze.

The main entrance of this hotel is just short of regal and royal. Walking in, one might feel slightly overwhelmed by the beauty. I had taken some travel companions of mine with me on this trip and they all appeared awestruck when we walked in.

I was graciously greeted by a young lady at the HHonors Desk (disclaimer - I am an HHonors Diamond VIP). We were about an hour early and our room wasn't ready yet, so we waited in the beautiful Sazerac Bar. We had originally planned to wait in the Fountain Lounge, but were promptly met by employees who asked us to go somewhere else because they couldn't find their "Main Bartender". This seemed like an amateur mistake but we went to the other bar anyway. Matthew in the Sazerac Bar was phenomenal. Extremely professional, very pleasant and accommodating, but VERY busy. This bar got busy fast at check in, and the bartender was alone most of the time. Therefore, drinks came extremely slow (not at his fault - he poured and mixed fast, but the room was crowded).

We waited a while and our notification that our room was ready never came. It was now 10 minutes past check in time and I went back to the reception desk to see if I had missed the text (as we were already on a tight schedule). The young man (Carlos) advised us that the room wasn't ready yet but offered us a couple complimentary drinks in the bar while we waited. I returned the bar and we waited another half hour. I returned to the desk again at 3:45 to inquire as to whether our room was ready and it was still not ready. I was told by the young lady that she had called housekeeping herself several times and couldn't get an answer and that the housekeeping reps had hung up on her several times as well. *WINCE* This is not what I wanted to hear. We were now nearly an hour past our check in time, by travel companions were getting wrestles and I was beginning to feel EMBARRASSED and aggravated. I didn't want another drink at the bar - I wanted my room so I could change clothes, leave our things and get on our way. As a guest, I don't want to hear why my room isn't ready and that your housekeeping staff has hung up on you on the phone - all I want to hear is that my room is ready.

Advising the young lady again that we were now pressed for time and we were all beginning to feel aggravated (and myself embarrassed for having to make everyone else wait) - she finally said she would just put us in a different room. We were finally checked in to our room a little over an hour late. What's comical about this, is that if you check out late - you get charged - yet no one offered as much as an apology when we were forced to check in late.

The rooms here at adequate and the decor somewhat drab. The hotel is old. Parts of our wall around the window were literally crumbling onto the floor. Although drab, it was clean.

***BEWARE***
The mini-bar in the room is TOUCH SENSOR ACTIVATED. We wanted to see about having a drink in the room while we changed and I opened the minibar fridge to see what was available. To my dismay - IT WAS HOT!! There wasn't a drink in there below 80 degrees. Having poked around in the mini-fridge, I touched several of the drinks. Little did I know - the minibar is touch activated. I would later find out that I was charged on my bill for every drink I touched. However, the front desk was more than happy to remove the charges. By the way she spoke, this is a recurring issue. But hot drinks?? Come on - this is a $300 a night room at the Waldorf - a hot minibar fridge????

The rooftop pool and bar was very nice - the water and pool was clean and there is ample seating. We didn't swim long that evening - but the time we were there was pleasurable.

Check out was a breeze as was valet pickup. Zack was again more than helpful with assisting.

Main points about this stay -

1. Centrally located, nice area, near a CVS, Canal Street and French Quarter.
2. Hotel has a beautiful lobby - but rooms aren't as nice. Although they are spacious.
3. Everyone at the hotel was VERY friendly and polite, but made amateur mistakes (as in we can't find our bartender so go to another bar and - housekeeping is hanging up on me so I don't know why your room isn't done).
4. Watch out for the mini-bar.

Long and short - for $300 a night, you might find a better place to stay in the Quarter thats a little more updated and lets you check in on time.

1  Thank Matthew M
TheRoosevelt, Manager at The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear Matthew M,

Thank you for taking the time and sharing your recent experience with our TripAdvisor community. We are delighted that you choose to stay at The Roosevelt New Orleans and we thank you for your patronage. We are overjoyed that our staff was extremely helpful during your stay. However, we regret that we were not able to provide you with the quality of service you deserved. We strive to provide unparalleled service delivery at our hotel, and we are always looking for ways to ensure that each guest experiences the very best we have to offer. We believe that very best service experiences are genuine, anticipatory and personalized and we will continue to work to ensure our guests find that level of service at our hotel. Your feedback will help us to continue to improve our training processes, and we hope you will return to stay with us to experience the results of that work firsthand. Thank you for being a HHonors Diamond VIP and we hope that when you return to New Orleans again, that you are able to stay with us again.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Wonderful, grand, historic hotel. Great service--amazing focus on detail--catering to each guest! Would stay again in a heartbeat! Location is on top of shopping, Bourbon Street, restaurants and a FUN! A must stay hotel...

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Cristopher M

Dear Cristopher M,

Thank you for taking the time and sharing your experience with our TripAdvisor community. We are delighted that you had a wonderful time the last time you stayed at The Roosevelt New Orleans. We love to hear that our guest were able to experience all the wonderful things the Crescent City has to offer. We hope that if your travels ever bring you back to New Orleans that you are able to stay with us again.