“Elegant and Centrally Located”

The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel
Ranked #20 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Elegant and Centrally Located”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My boyfriend and I came to visit New Orleans for a romantic weekend and to attend a concert at the superdome. I found a great government rate for a weekend stay and booked this hotel. The ride from the airport to the hotel was about $35 and the cabbie had no problem finding the hotel as others have stated. The porter collected our bags as soon as we arrived and although our room wasn't ready, they took my cell number to call me. The room was ready earlier than the stated check in time and there is plenty to do while you wait; the hotel has a restuarant, a bar, and a cafe. The location is great! We walked EVERYWHERE, except to Frenchman street because I had heels and the cobblestone was killing me :). We even walked home from the Superdome after the concert and safety was never a concern. The hotel itself is gorgeous and we really liked our 4th floor room with a view of the church and the proximity to the pool.

The weather was humid and it rained often while we were there but we just hid out at the shops at Canal Place (which is much nicer than Riverwalk in my opinion). The French Market is also a good option to walk around if it's raining because there are a lot of awnings to keep you dry. There are so many places to eat, drink, and listen to music in this city! I was not a fan of Bourbon street and am thankful that Tripadvisor suggested Frenchman street as it was a much nicer vibe. The outdoor market was beautiful. We went on a food tour which was okay and we really enjoyed GLF deVilliers tours. Glenn took us to a lot of interesting hotels and restaurants and it was nice to have a locals perspective of the city. He told us that the Roosevelt has a secret tunnel that was used during Prohibition. I am so upset I didn't have time to ask someone to show it to me!
We didn't spend too much time in the hotel because there is so much to do but we really enjoyed the beauty of the hotel. The only inconvenient aspect that we encountered was we needed to print our concert tickets and asked the concierge if they could print them for us. They referred us to the business room which charged per minute to access the wifi and the printer. I know it's a big hotel but I thought they should have definitely accomodated us as it was one piece of paper!
Other than that I definitely fell in love with the city and the hotel and would stay here again.

Room Tip: We really enjoyed staying on the 4th floor right next to the pool. The church view was beautiful an...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank arosero23

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (587)
  • Polish first
Jackson, United States
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The Waldorf is right across Canal from the French Quarter, and great place to relax and escape the heat. Make sure to eat at Dominica right off the lobby. It is very affordable authentic "quick" Italian food where they slice the prosciutto right in front of you.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This is a great hotel with a lot of history. It is in a nice location, walking distance to the business district or Bourboun street. You can enjoy a good meal in the hotel or be to a great restaurant within minutes. Elaborate lobby area makes for some great pictures.

Room Tip: As with all "older" hotels, ask for a corner room. This usually gets you great views and m...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
houston,tx
Reviewed 4 August 2014

From the beginning to the end, a luxurious experience of perfect customer service, quality and comfort! The Roosevelt is now our choice for a New Orleans Stay! The lobby was exquisite as well as the entire staff

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

brandon
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

I wish I could give 2 1/2 stars. We did not have an average experience but I wouldn't say it was poor either. It was somewhere in the middle. I will start with the pros.

Pros
The lobby is beautiful and the restaurants inside were excellent. Also the hotel is close to shopping and Bourbon. We definitely enjoyed the location. Also the room had nice furnishings and I liked the shower. Also the concierge and the man who handled our bags were very helpful.

Cons
When you get to a hotel after a long trip the last thing you want to hear is your room is not ready. Especially since we'd just finished a hike and had spent 300 a night on our room. The other thing was that it was 5:30 so there was no reason for our room not being ready. We asked when our room would be ready and we were told that they did not know but they would give us two free vouchers to sit at the bar. So my husband and I sat at the bar in our sweaty clothes in a very nice bar. After complaining to the man who checked our bags who passed on our complaint to the manager we got our room within 30 minutes. However, I would have appreciated a personal apology from the manager instead of being told they were fully booked that evening. I expect things like that at 2 or 3 star hotels but not at The Roosevelt. Also our room wasn't cleaned very well and I could see where things had been rushed. After this experience I will be taking my business to another hotel from now on.

Stayed August 2014
4 Thank iman w
Chicago
Reviewed 3 August 2014

The Roosevelt New Orleans is a beautiful property that resonates with the charm of another era, yet holds up to contemporary standards of a luxury hotel.

The rooms are large, impeccable, and well-appointed. All the details that make a hotel stay just a little bit nicer have been attended to. The turn down service is particularly lovely and includes a shoe bag for a complimentary overnight shoeshine - with shoes ready any time after 6 a.m. The beds are especially comfortable - and jump-able, the linens sumptuous, and the pillows plush. You'll sleep well here.

To help you into that cozy bed, indulge in a delicious Sazerac from the famous Sazerac Bar at lobby level. Your stay won't be complete without it.

Guest services could not be any more pleasant, - we found a Spanish gentleman Carlos (who was working at the front desk) particularly charming and helpful (maybe by the time you arrive he'll have been promoted to General Manager) - and any calls within the hotel from the room - room service, housekeeping, front desk etc., were answered in one ring.

Overall a remarkable and delightful stay. The only drawback - and this is slight - is that the restaurants seem to vent towards the pool area. So if you're going for a morning dip in the pool - expect to smell a lot of greasy breakfast. Again this is slight discomfort - and only mentioned in the hopes management can look into the situation - in a place otherwise heavenly.

Highly Recommended!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Thus hotel is perfectly located steps from bourbon street. The room was great and the staff was good too. I wish there wasn't a wifi charge. The concierge gave great recommendations the restaurant was great but there are other options I'm the city of course it was reasonably priced

Stayed August 2014