“Historic Beauty”

The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel
Ranked #19 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 25 August 2014

My family and I only stayed 1 night before our cruise departing from the nearby port. I was amazed at the craftsmanship in the entrance and felt as though I was stepping back in time 100 years. I believe my children enjoyed the stay more than my wife and I!

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
TheRoosevelt, Manager at The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear Chris D,

Thank you for taking the time and sharing your experience with our TripAdvisor community. We are delighted that you were able to stay with us before your cruise. The Roosevelt New Orleans is full of wonderful history, and we hope that you were able to learn something about our fabulous hotel. We hope that the next time you travel back to our fabulous city you are able to stay with us again.

Best,
The Roosevelt New Orleans Team Members

There are newer reviews for The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel

Reviewed 24 August 2014

We wanted to check in early for a wedding that night, we called and the lady who answered the phone said yes come in we are ready for you. That was at 11am. our room was not ready on the 7th floor with the bridal party and we had to go to another floor.

Dear Michelle D,

We regret that we were not able to provide you with the quality of service you deserve during your recent stay. We strive for unparalleled service delivery at our hotel, and we are always looking for ways to ensure that each guest experiences the very best we have to offer. We believe that very best service experiences are genuine, anticipatory and personalized and we will continue to work to ensure our guests find that level of service at our hotel. Your feedback will help us to continue to improve our training processes, and we hope you will return to stay with us to experience the results of that work firsthand.

Best,
The Roosevelt New Orleans Team Members

Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Everyone was so hospitable and friendly from check in to check out. Treated us like we were the most important guests there. On the evening of our first night, we went to the Fountain Lounge and they happened to be out of the strawberry cake. So after I explained it was my birthday, the bartender had someone create a plate of chocolate covered strawberries with Happy Birthday written in chocolate! Mr. Guzman is fantastic & heat asset to the hotel.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Earl, Director of Catering,was a pleasure to work with. He made my daughter,Missy, feel very special during our meetings prior to the wedding day. Earl's attention to details and his passion made the wedding day a fairy tale to remember. Thank you Earl to you and your wonderful staff! You are all professionals from the greeting from the Valet to your bartenders and serving staff. If you want a wedding to remember, The Roosevelt Hotel is the Best!

Room Tip: The service from the staff was excellent. The rooms were spacious and beautiful.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2014

This historic property is nice. At check-in, I requested a room with a tub. No such luck. I was informed that it wasn't conceivable in an old hotel (Which I found odd, given that The Plaza in New York City has tubs). The rooms are nice, but has amenities that just aren't that useful. It doesn't has a mini-refrigerator or microwave, but it has a TV in the bathroom which, as I mentioned, doesn't have a tub. The location was nice and within walking district to Bourbon Street. The swimming pool is nice, but small. I also had problems with my bill which took way too long to correct. The parking is expensive, but I was able to park in a nearby lot for $20 a night. Overall, I would stay at this hotel again if the price was right. But if you are a family that wants more practical amenities like a tub, and a refrigerator, I would stay elsewhere like the Hampton Inn or Embassy Suites.

Room Tip: Park at the lot across the street from the hotel. It's reasonable and allows in and out access...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank nedradc
Reviewed 21 August 2014

For those of you in a hurry here's the bottom line, I won't be staying here when I return to New Orleans in a couple months. There is nothing wrong with the hotel that an in-room coffee maker and free (or at least fast) Wi-Fi wouldn't fix. The problem is I expected more. The facility itself is a renovated beauty though how much of that occurred under the current operators, Hilton or the former operators, Fairmont I don't know. Any renovation of an old building is going to result in some anomalies like the ladies room being at one end of the lobby and the men's room at the other (the lobby is a city block long). Our king suite did not have a tub, ok, but the glass shower was very narrow. After hitting it with my elbow a few times I adjusted.
As for the staff I found pockets of friendliness, in particular the doormen/bell staff and the staff of the in-house restaurant Domenica, and pockets of, let's say, diffidence, at the front desk and the coffee shop.
I mentioned above that I expected more. In February my wife and I stayed at three of the best, The Hassler in Rome, the Four Seasons in Florence, and Principie-Savoie in Milan(a Dorchester Hotel). If this is the strata that Hilton is trying to compete with by creating the Waldorf-Astoria Collection those hotels have nothing to fear. Staying at the Roosevelt Waldorf Astoria is like staying at a Hilton, not a Four Seasons. As I explained to the young lady as I checked out (made necessary by numerous problems with my bill) at the Four Seasons and other hotels of it's caliber the answer is YES, unless it just cannot be, and then they seem heart broken that it can't be yes.
One example and I'll let you go. I had a late (5pm) flight so I called about a late check out. With out any inquiry as to what might work I was told that unfortunately 12:30 was the latest They could give me with out an additional charge. This despite the fact that the hotel, I found out later had only about sixty check-ins expected that day. I had just rented a small suite for eight days and two additional rooms for the weekend and I couldn't get a late checkout? Or for that matter free Wi-Fi, as I was only a Silver Hilton Honors member and only Gold and Diamond members get free Wi-Fi. This despite the fact that Hilton's "limited service" hotels, Hampton Inns and Hilton Garden Inns do give me free Wi-Fi..and a coffee maker..and a refrigerator..and 24 hour coffee and tea in the lobby...?!
Well, back to the Trip Advisor and Booking.com reviews to see if I can find a hotel where the answer is always YES unless it just cannot be.

Room Tip: Our hotel rooms overlooked the roofs of the old low-rise buildings adjacent which are very unsightly...
3  Thank David C
Reviewed 21 August 2014

The great facilities, amenities and staff make this hotel a fantastic experience. We combined a business and leisure trip for our stay. The pool was beautiful and the views were gorgeous. The rooms are very spacious and the beds very comfortable.