“Beautiful Waldorf Hotel with Hampton Inn Service”

The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel
Ranked #21 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
Baltimore, Maryland
“Beautiful Waldorf Hotel with Hampton Inn Service”
Reviewed 16 February 2011

Best part of the hotel was the beautiful decor, and the worst was the service.

The hotel is beautiful and has a great history. It is reminiscent of the golden era of New Orleans, with a gorgeous lobby and well-decorated rooms. Rooms were well decorated, and cozy, if a little small. It was a bit noisy, but thats what you get when you stay a block off of Bourbon St and Canal. Didn't bother us, but it could. We stayed in a King Deluxe.

As for service, it was subpar for what we paid. The cafe staff was rude consistently, and there was always a wait at the bell desk. One day our room wasn't even serviced, so I can't say good things about housekeeping. I personally prefer service over any other aspect, so this definitely hurt the overall value of the hotel. Although, it is fixable if a new manager ever took over and got the staff into shape.

The service and food at the restaurant Domenica was great though, although it is quite a bit different than the rest of the hotel (Who expected good Italian in NOLA?). Overall, I would still recommend the hotel despite the service, as it has more to offer in terms of amenities, decor, comfort, and location.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (587)
  • Polish first
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 16 February 2011

The constant clanging of the pipes in the roof resulted in zero sleep. When we complained, they sent up a guy to replace the air conditioning filters. Thanks. Don't waste your time or money, this place is a joke.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
16 Thank uptowntouchdown
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 February 2011

I choose the Roosevelt to host 150 of our friends and family for our destination wedding in New Orleans. We had a room block for 9 months prior to the wedding and our guests all made their reservations about 6 months in advance. We had a huge brunch planned on Sunday in the Blue Room and had given this hotel plenty of business. When my guests began to arrive on Thursday afternoon, the hotel did not have rooms ready for most of my guests and asked them to wait in the lobby until rooms became available. Several of them had traveled from other countries with small children, including infants. Six hours later, the hotel started telling people that they ran out of rooms that night and would be bumping people to the Hilton Riverwalk, which is a MUCH lower quality hotel. At this point, I felt it necessary to intervene and asked to speak to a manager and was told there was none on duty. When I asked the "person in charge" why our guests were being bumped when we had a room block and reservations for months, he had no answer. When I asked why they couldn't be moved to a hotel that was at least as nice as the Roosevelt, I was told that there were no rooms in the city at the nicer hotels. I then requested that he call again IN FRONT OF ME a nice hotel - the Windsor Court and ask for availability. Of course, there WERE rooms available and he had LIED. Unfortunately, about 50 of my guests missed the first night's festivities because of the extremely poor treatment that the Roosevelt bestowed upon us and they managed to REALLY UPSET a pretty laid back bride and groom on the eve of their wedding weekend. I would caution anyone in a similar situation to trust the Roosevelt with such an important event. Also, it should be noted that I have never written a bad review.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
22 Thank cjett
West Islip, New York
Reviewed 11 February 2011

I was there for a medical convention. The hotel is newly renovated. The bed quality was typical Hilton, wonderful. I am an HGVC member and was upgraded to a suite. The high ceilings, huge living and sleeping quarters are luxury. The bath[s] were immaculate. This hotel has so much history. The lobby clock is fascinating, whole history there too.. The bar is famous and comfortable, as is the drink, The Salazar. Pardon the spelling if it is wrong. The woodwork at the bar is art. The staff was friendly and helpful. What can I say, loved it. I travel quite a bit and this is one to go back to.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 8 February 2011

My husband and I plus our 3 small children traveled to NOLA and stayed at this hotel for a family wedding. My son and I were members of the wedding party. I requested early check-in to get started on Matron of Honor duties and could not be accomodated but was assured my room would be ready at 3:00 check-in. My room was not ready until 5:45pm which was 1 hour before the wedding. My husband and I couldn't get dressed, children couldn't rest/nap, and all were exhausted. We invaded the bridal suite! This was very disappointing and ultimately paid $$$ for being inconvenienced. No response or follow up from Front Office Manager or General Manager.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank LandL2006
Alabama
Reviewed 7 February 2011

Reservation and check in went very smoothly. The lobby of this Grande Dame of a hotel is simply stunning. It's so wonderful to stay in a place that is not a cookie-cutter corporate clone. I normally stay in The Monteleone and so this was a nice change of pace.

The room we had was nice but not amazing. The view was of an interior roof and other windows across the way, but with a glimpse of the pool if you craned your head properly. There was a nice sized walk-in closet where a robe was hanging the night we got there, but then mysteriously vanished after that. The bathroom was beautifully kitted out with marble and granite, with some nicely inlaid detailing. I wish the sink vanity had been larger and I ended up moving a small side table from the room into the bathroom for a little extra "counter" space. I didn't love the shower: I'm short, and so the shower head seemed far away (as they often do for me - I'd like to make a rule that all hotel showers have adjustable heads to accommodate both tall and short guests!), and that combined with NO's soft water and the rather low water pressure made for a longer shower than I like to take. I could only smile at the pipes rattling in the walls - due to the age of the building, no doubt.

The room also had a very nice flat screen tv (and an additional tv in the bathroom), one side chair and a bench at the foot of the bed. It was plenty of room for two people, but I would have liked another seating area. I had room service breakfast and it was served on time (in relation to how I had filled out the card the night before) and was attractive and yummy.

I used the Guerlain Spa for a massage (very nice) and a mani/pedi. The pedi stations are very poorly designed, ergonomically, and the manicurist and I had a discussion about that and she told me they had plans to tear out what's there and redesign that area. She brought me some really nice tea and then when I had an unexpected meet-up with a friend there, she brought us mimosas! All the spa staff were the the perfect combination of friendly and professional.

We ate at the Domenica restaurant, which was wonderful. Of course, in NOLA you can't swing a cat without hitting great food, so the bar is set very high in that regard and they didn't disappoint. The waiter was very knowledgeable and we ended up doing an almost "tapas"-style dinner where we were able to sample many dishes without a ton of food. I understand they have a happy hour where EVERYTHING is half price, which would make an early dinner there an amazing bargain.

The Sazarac bar was great, if noisy. It's all hard walls, so it can get very loud when full, which it seemed to be most of the time. It was busy, but there were 3-4 bartenders, so service was quick.

I'll be going back again, but will definitely ask for at least an upgrade or just reserve a suite (which is just a personal preference). We were there during a conference and the place was filled up.

Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 February 2011

I was deeply dissapointed with my experience at this hotel. It was billed as a renovated, historic four-five star property to be a flagship of Hilton's new Waldorf brand. While I expected a stupendous, elegant, refined hotel with impeccable service akin to the St. Regis experience (as with Hilton rebranding their superluxe hotels as Waldorfs in homage to the Waldorf=Astoria in New York, St. Regis was Starwood's effort to rebrand their superluxe Sheratons into St. Regises in homage to the St. Regis in New York), what I found was a tacky hotel with mediocre customer service and a design that seemed to be done on the cheap.

Let's start with the decor. The room amenities and furniture seemed to have been picked up at the local Target. While drapes from a distance appeared to be sumptuous valour, a closer look revealed them to be cheap vinyl drapes with graphics on them meant to look like they were valour. The furniture in the room was tacky. The lighting consisted of awful compact fluorescent bulbs that seemed to suck light out of the room- not what you would see at a St. Regis, Ritz, or Four Seasons property.

The customer service was dreadful. I had the misfortune of checking in late in the afternoon. I was traveling solo and requested a king bed. They had none. They offered to "upgrade" me to a regular room with a king bed for $15. I felt that that was unnecessary nickle and diming that left me with a really bad taste in my mouth. The mention of any monetary amount less than $20 should never occur at a luxury hotel check-in! I declined to pay for the upgrade out of principle. Shockingly, when I expressed my surprised to the front desk manager about this I got nowhere.

The lobby had the usual gilt and gold one would expect from a historic hotel.

The location was dismal. It was down the block from a somewhat dilapidated main drag (Canal Street) that was filled with cheap pharmacies and seedy looking people. You had to cross it to enter the French Quarter.

I do wonder why Hilton is rebranding based on the Waldorf in New York. Anybody who knows that hotel knows that it is dowdy, very old hotel in New York that caters primarily to businessmen- it is hardly the image of trendy luxury.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business