“Best steal in new orleans”

Hotel Villa Convento
Ranked #93 of 164 Hotels in New Orleans
“Best steal in new orleans”
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Villa Convento is the biggest steal in New Orleans. The location is perfect with a quick walk to bourbon street and Jackson square. The hotel is the essence of New Orleans with history and friendliness. The staff here is amazing and accommodating. The rooms here are also great. As an avid traveler to New Orleans we won't stay anywhere else besides here. It really gives you the New Orleans experience. I highly recommend it.

2 Thank Lynnemarie12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Shreveport, Louisiana, United States
Reviewed 16 March 2013

I stayed at Villa Convento for the first time with some girlfriends for my 21st birthday. When we arrived, the weather was a little iffy, so Warren offered to drive our car to the garage so we wouldn't have to run back through the rain. The room was beautiful, I loved old charm of the entire place. The view from our balcony was so pretty, they're still some of my favorite New Orleans pictures! The staff was personable and fun, offering us advice on where the best clubs were and where to eat. I return to New Orleans often to visit friends, but I always make it a point to drop by the hotel to say hello to Warren and the rest of the staff! My overall experience was very nice and if I ever need to stay at a hotel in the French Quarter again, Villa Convento will be my first call!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Brianne S
Bossier City, Louisiana
Reviewed 16 March 2013

I travel to New Orleans regularly. Before finding this jewel I would stay at random hotels all over the city. Now it is a must that I stay at this hotel. I personally call it "The Best Kept Secret in New Orleans".

The hotel doesn't have all the frou-frou things from the famous brand name hotels. It is quaint & offers an authentic New Orleans feel. My favorite thing about the rooms are the brick walls inside. You can feel the history inside these walls.

The location is GREAT!! Two blocks from Bourbon for the night action & two blocks from the French Market for shopping in the day. It is surrounded by tons of restaurants & quaint bars off the beaten path. For a true New Orleans experience you have to find your way to these places.

The staff is amazing! Every time I have visited they have recommended new "local" locations for me to go and explore. I love finding these new places. The main reason I keep going back to Hotel Villa Convento is because of the staff. I have never received hospitality at a hotel like I have from this one. They make me feel like I am home.

There is also a beautiful courtyard filled with plants & a water fountain. It's the perfect place for breakfast (did I mention there is a pastry shop directly across the street).

I will always stay here on my trips to The Big Easy. I can't imagine anywhere else could make me feel this comfortable.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank kymbau
Reviewed 15 March 2013

This makes my thirteenth trip to the beautiful city of New Orleans. I have stayed in the Garden district, I have stayed in the French Quarter, and in the FM. I have tried hotels, inns, condos, B&Bs, and boutique hotels. I must say I prefer a charming B&B, or boutique hotel to a chain hotel anyday.
However, this hotel is neither charming, nor quaint. It is more like decaying, and inefficient.
The staff are rude, and inconsiderate. There was zero attentiveness to things like luggage, room location, or parking. Parking had to be the biggest complaint on my list, the website states a quick 10 min walk, it was more like 15-20 through the ghetto of New Orleans. The staff were completely unhelpful about the issue, they didn't offer to watch our luggage, or help pull it to our room upstairs, we carried it up, because frankly the elevator is a death trap.
The horrors continued upstairs, in our "balcony suite", the room was disgusting, and dirty.The bed was hard, and the sheets are cheap. The toilet clogged, and we had to plunge it after one use. The bathtub had mold around it, leaving a less than desirable shower routine. The problems continued outside, the balcony would be much nicer if it were repaired, and the outdoor furniture wasn't broken.
All in all I would give this hotel a very substandard rating, it's not even average. Take your money and go stay at The Cornstalk hotel, or Ashton's B&B, the quality far exceeds what this hotel and staff have to offer.

8 Thank Hippychick32
Hotel_Villa_Convento, Manager at Hotel Villa Convento, responded to this review, 12 April 2013
On behalf of the hotel we regret that you did not enjoy your stay. I feel compelled to advise the readers that a group of four has written four separate reviews pertaining to one visit.

Since parking was mentioned as this guest's most serious problem I will address that issue. We provide free parking adjacent to the French Quarter. Guests may park in one of many public parking garages throughout the French Quarter for a fee. We offer the offsite location as a courtesy to our guests for no charge.

The site is located at the corner of Decatur and Frenchmen Streets. I urge our readers to Google the location to make their own determination. We consider the location of our parking garage convenient and safe as it is located in the heart of the Frenchmen Street music and performance district.

This guest's numerous complaints will not be quarreled with. Suffice to say, we love our guests and we are sorry that this group was so unhappy with our hotel. We believe that our location, reasonable rates, our historic building and our welcoming staff all make for a delightful experience.

Best wishes,

Vincenzo
Reviewed 15 March 2013

I only really have one good thing to say about this hotel: the location is fantastic. Two blocks from Bourbon Street, and two blocks from the French market make for a prime location.

The hotel in general was in really poor condition. From the grimy carpets in the lobby and rooms, to the rickety stairs and balconies, to peeling wallpaper and cracked tile floors, this place is severely neglected. I understand it is a very old building, but the rates we paid should be enough to keep the place in good repair.

Our room was crawling with mold. The whole room smelled like it, and the bathroom had black splotches on the bathtub drain cover and under the sink. When we brought this to the attention of the young man at the front desk, we were informed that New Orleans is an old, damp city and we would just have to deal with it. He said mold is everywhere, but our room was the only place we ever smelled it. We were not even offered so much as an apology or a bit of compassion for my mold-allergic wife.

The staff is, by far, the worst hotel staff I have ever dealt with. Upon check-in, we were given halfhearted instructions for finding our rooms (which was not easy; the place is a maze) and sent off to find parking on our own. After checking out, I called back to ask about a missing bag. When the woman came back to the phone, she chewed me out for "leaving food everywhere" in the room. We had Chinese food delivered the night before and our takeout containers wouldn't fit in the tiny trash cans, so we left them on the dresser. Without giving me a chance to respond, she hung up on me.

We got absolutely no maid service during our four-day stay. No clean towels, no trash pickup, nothing. The wireless didn't work on either of our phones or tablets, the beds were as hard as rocks, and the hair dryer and iron were so old they didn't work.

We will never again stay here, and will make sure everyone we know is aware of how terrible the staff and room conditions are.

5 Thank Siomhagirl
Middletown, Connecticut
Reviewed 15 March 2013

We have visited New Orleans many times, stayed in a variety of hotels, and discovered the Hotel Villa Convento in 2011 and were guests there several times 2011 and 2012 - and will be again two times in 2013. We have always found it to be clean and the hotel staff to be extraordinarily friendly and accommodating. We've had the most contact with Barbara, who is a perfect example of southern charm and friendliness no matter how busy she is or what is happening around her. The building is authentic New Orleans and is well located to allow guests to walk throughout the French Quarter - close to music on both Bourbon and Frenchman Streets, and just a few blocks to the French Market and loads of fabulous restaurants. The building itself, the location, and the staff all combine to give visitors the opportunity to experience the culture and warmth of the Quarter. Can't be beat.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Robin O
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 March 2013 via mobile

The hotel is reasonably priced and in a great location--those are my only 2 positive comments. However, the list of negatives are long. The hotel is severely dated and in general, just plain dirty. The lobby carpets were blackened with dirt and grime. The rooms smelled of stale air, and wet animals. The bedding had not even been placed on our bed, we had to make it. The bedding issue didn't stop there, to describe the bed as "brick like" would be a gross understatement, it was the hardest bed I have ever slept on in the city. I woke with back pain due to the low matress quality. The issues didn't stop there, the staff were extraordinarily abrasive, and rude. In a city that should exude Southern hospitality, and charm, this staff was severely lacking. No one showed us to our rooms, offered to help with luggage, or gave us anything more than a rudimentary map, to locate the parking garage for the car. Yes, parking is "free", however you must walk 15 mins, through a seedy area of town, infested with delinquent looking types. I adore the city of New Orleans, and have stayed in many places in and out of the French quarter, save yourself some hassle pay a little extra and stay elsewhere.

2 Thank simonsez33