“Nice place, Great staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Villa Convento

Hotel Villa Convento
Ranked #95 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Americus, Georgia
“Nice place, Great staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

When we arrived at the Villa we were met by Warren who was very helpful,and let us know of the parking situation. We didn't think it to big a deal, but did suggest a pic-up driver would be nice. Walking the French Quarter is most common as we discovered and not a problem for us and if you come to visit you should expect that every part of a city is not going to be pristene. We never felt in danger. We met Vince the night front desk clerk that night and he was also very knowledgeable of the area. Also told us fun stories about Rose the ghost of the Villa Convento.

Now a thought on the rooms, our's was a small balcony room with everything we needed, the only thing we would suggest is a little updating, such as painting and repairing the small holes in the walls. New carpet will be needed soon. Cushy towels would be nice but not a must. Maybe a lighter quilt, the quilt we had was very heavy.

We really enjoyed interacting with the front desk folks, Barbara was especially wonderful with helping to find great restaurants and anything else we needed. She really went out of her way when we called to say we were coming back to the hotel to get the key to walk to the garage to move our car, she said no problem is the key here I'll move it for you, WOW we were so grateful.

We would recomend Villa Convento just don't expect the Ritz , the Villa ls more fun.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank jazzndolly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

Arrived early to be greeted by friendly Barbara. She's very nice and told us of some great bars north of the quarter, just a few blocks away, that had wonderful music. Room was downstairs, beautiful quaint courtyard outside. The room could use a little fixing up, but who cares. It was clean and in a Great location, a tad North from the noise off Bourbon, this is the 'gay district; but you sure will feel comfortable there whatever your sexual orientation. If you want to find a reasonably priced no frills hotel in the quarter, this is the place for you. I will return there wo question...

Room Tip: I like being downstairs. Your room opens to courtyard full of plants and the ice machine is right th...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank G1rag
Kitchener Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

If you get an upgrade you will be smiling for days. What fabulous rooms with balconies. Perfect location and such a friendly staff!!!! Loved being in my ghostly room. I'm writing a book with spirits and this one had a trickster boy ghost! I will come back in a heartbeat...maybe with my bf.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade :) but beware...some have ghostly orbs
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank AnastasiaAmor
Billings, Montana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013 via mobile

I found this little place through Googling different locations for affordability in the French Quarter. It was only my mother and I and we wanted a safe location close to Bourbon and other attractions. Overall, the hotel was very unique. It is old so it's not the Hampton Inn by any means, but the room was clean and staff friendly.

My only qualm was that the morning we left the front desk was not open. According to their hours posted, someone should be there at 6am. We left at 645 and were hoping for assistance calling a taxi, but to no avail. Luckily I had a smart phone to Google cab companies, but had I not, we would have had no idea who to call or where to find numbers. That could have been somewhat frustrating. Just a small oversight for service purposes.

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank BigSkyGal101
Irving, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

This hotel was perfect for my friend and I. We went for a little getaway trip and we had a wonderfully relaxing time anytime we were in the room/hotel. We got so so so lucky with this hotel. Our room wasn't "haunted" but we were sleeping so well that it would have been hard to wake us. We will most certainly go back and room 103 was so great. I have stayed at every kind of hotel there is and these with quaint personality and a staff that's close to the property are my favorite. We both took 2 baths a day just because it was so relaxing. We felt like we had a little piece of NOLA to go home to each night. It's far enough from Bourbon street to be silent, but close enough to pop on over for some fun! We highly suggest it, and can't wait to go back. And, across the street is a French bakery with some tasty treats! If you're over the cajun after a few days pop in and get the soup of the day or the ham croissant sandwich. LOVE LOVE LOVE. Thanks so much everyone at Villa Convento for making it home for us!

Briana and Chloe from Dallas, TX

Room Tip: We didn't request any kind of room—but we got lucky with room 103 right off the courtyard. It wa...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Briana M
London, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

This hotel is in a great location in the French Quarter, and the view from our balcony, with tall buildings in the background, and the rooftops in the forefront, was breathtaking. The view was a delight to just sit and study. Parking is a little tricky. This is a very busy area. The parking garage is about 3 or 4 blocks away from the hotel, so you have to unload all your stuff and put it temporarily in the office area, then go park your car in the garage, and walk back to the hotel. And there is no designated space for parking temporarily while you unload your things in the office. We were initially given a room on the second floor. This room was extremely small and there was no privacy for each other at all. Even a married couple needs a little bit of privacy! There was no coffee pot, no fridge, no microwave, and no room to spread out. The bed was very comfy though. We slept very well. We were not happy for those first two nights but resigned ourselves to making the best of the situation. Then, Barbara, who works at the front desk, let us move to room 401 for the last two nights. This was like going from dark to daylight! If you stay here, try your best to book room 401. Barbara was great! There was a small refrigerator in room 401, still no coffee, but they do have very good coffee available in the office. The Hotel Villa Convento was not the most professionally run hotel we have stayed in, for instance, the maid did not show up on our last day, and the rooms could have been a little cleaner, but it was charming and convenient, the beds were very comfortable, it is a very old building which added to the overall experience of staying in the French Quarter. I would definitely stay again in the future, but only if room 401 is available.

Room Tip: Request room 401.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Connie Y
Edmond, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

My wife & I were traveling with another couple on our way to FL and spent one night here. Great location and only a couple of blocks to all the clubs and restaurants. We stayed in a balcony queen and the room was very functional and clean. Our friends stayed in a courtyard queen and this room was also very clean and nice. We left the same day that NOLA had their annual Red Dress Run. This would be a good time to mention that the hotel parking garage is about five blocks away. It is covered parking which was nice, just so far away! Anyway, on my way back to the hotel to pick up my wife and friends along with our luggage I got stuck behind the participants in the run and could not make it back. In calling my wife on this fact she had me speak with the hotel clerk who instructed me to a location. While I waited he was kind enough to assist my wife and friends lug their bags over three blocks to the car. This was customer service above and beyond what one would expect! I cannot remember the young man's name but thank you! Everyone we dealt with at the hotel was very nice and considerate. All in all a very positive experience and I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The courtyard rooms are roomy, quiet, and nice. The balcony rooms face East and you get a lot of mor...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends