“Horrible customer service”

Ranked #95 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
New York City, New York
“Horrible customer service”
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I was looking up online hotels when I came across this nice little hotel. I checked the reservation online and it said they had balcony room available for my dates. As per prior review's recommendation I decided to call and speak to somebody and inquire about room availability.
I lady with a pleasant voice picked up and told me what rooms are available and to my surprise she mentioned all the rooms, but the ones that showed as available online. I was specifically looking for a balcony room that hotels website showed as available, but the lady on the phone acted surprised. She said I should book it online which concerned me that there are max of 20 rooms in the hotel and somehow management didn't have synced records with online website of which rooms are available or not. So before booking it online I asked about hours of check in and check out to which she told me 3:30 pm and 12 pm. I told her that we will be arriving early before check in and to be polite I asked if hotel had enough room to store my luggage that I would of left with hotel after I arrived, so I could go discover NOLA while waiting for 3:30 pm for my check in. I have been to many small boutique hotels they do not necessarily all have the room to store or hold guest luggage after check out or before check in due to limited space, which is understandable when comes to small boutique hotels with limited space. I tried to be polite and prepared as oppose to coming there and finding out that they could n;t hold my luggage. Here are the two answers i expected: 1. yes, of course we have room to hold you luggage while you wait for check in or 2. I am sorry sir, unfortunately we do not have space, due to nature of our small boutique hotel. All of those would be acceptable. But instead I got the following response: " I find your question rude regarding the space as to whether we have space or not. I will not help you anymore" And she hung up. I was taken back by all of this as that's not what i expected in a million years. I wanted to call back and ask why she got offended, but in retrospect I will never give my time (besides writing a deserving review) and money to hotel that has such horrible customer service and for NO APPARENT reason.

And how do you not have in your records that some rooms are available online and tell the opposite people on the phone. You do not have 500 rooms, it's 20 rooms max if that and booking are made on your website and not through travel website like priceline or etc....

Horrible , Horrible , Horrible. I cant attest to hotel itself or other people who work there, but the lady on the phone is horrible with customer service. Management should note that conversation took place on Feb 14, 2014 if they want to know who was picking up phones around 1 pm.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Bogdan N
Hotel_Villa_Convento, Manager at Hotel Villa Convento, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
It is regretful that this person did not have a good costumer service experience. We try accommodate every request whether it be storing luggage, early check ins, late check outs, making dinner reservations, and anything guests need during there stay. The lady this man or woman spoke to is a wonderful person and is friendly to everyone. Many reviews speak very highly of her and she is loved by everyone. We are a family run establishment, not a corporation, and we pride ourselves in providing a customer experience that meets each guests personal requirements. We strive very hard to make everyone feel welcome and part of the family. We our passionate about our work and guests (which we have the best) and it is the reason we are here. We are proud of the property and its visitors and we will always continue to improve and better serve all.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Hotel is cheap and in a great location. Decor is old and bed wasn't real comfortable but ya get what you pay for. The room was very clean. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Rooms have window a/c units which I suggest leaving on even when you are gone or it can get muggy in the room. There is no designated area in front of the hotel to park to unload so you have to stop in the street and unload fast if you want to drop stuff off. There is parking along the street but of course none was ever open.

I would have given 4 stars if it weren't for the parking debacle we had. They have free parking on a first come first serve basis. We called ahead of time to see if any spots where available because we were on a time crunch to get to the convention center. They said they did so we went to the hotel to get the key to park and then just walk to the convention center. Once we got to the garage to park there were in fact no spots open. So then we had to go back to the hotel to drop the key off as they only have 1 and try to find somewhere to park and get to the convention center in time. We wasted about an hr of time doing this and would have just gone straight to the convention center if we had known there was no room in their garage. (which is why we called ahead of time) If you only have 7 spots it really needs to be kept track of so this doesn’t happen to others. Also, they told the people behind us also they could park in there so I know the same thing happened to them.

All in all I would stay here again because of the location and price. If you want a fancy updated place this isn't for you. If you want a budget friendly, New Orleans style hotel that is clean with no frills then this is your place. Also as I mentioned before the staff was very friendly and helpful which I appreciate… just keep track of your parking please!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
The Woodlands, Texas, United States
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Beyond quaint, you feel like you are living in "the times" with all the flavor of the French Quarter. Yes, the building and furnishings are old but that's the charm. Nice, nice staff, helpful with where to go, what not to miss in Restaurants and directions, will definitely stay here again. Parking available is a plus, close to Jackson Square and the market area.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PFramme
Manchester, Connecticut
Reviewed 2 January 2014

This is in a good location on a quite street. It is old and needs some work. It is exactly what we were looking for. Relatively cheap for the French Quarter. The staff was friendly and they have a parking garage nearby to use if you have a car. Street parking is by luck only and is possible, again, based on luck. The can recommend sites to see and are very helpful. There is a garden area in the back that we did not use. I would go back here, mostly for the location and low cost.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I got a good price on a budget room, Since I went to NOLA during the week after Thanksgiving, there were few guests, and I was upgraded to a room with a double and a twin. The hotel is perfectly located on the quiet end of the Quarter, an easy walk to Frenchmen Street to hear the great music. It's very old, and the furniture is not top of the line, but it's clean and quaint, and the staff couldn't be nicer. A special shout out to Barb at the desk for being so friendly and for getting me a cab when my shuttle didn't show up. The hotel looks gorgeous all decorated for Christmas. Be sure to visit Croissant d'Or across the street for breakfast or lunch. If you don't feel like going out for a meal, go left when you leave the hotel and walk down a block and a half to the mini market to get a sandwich or hot entree and some wine or beer and take it back to the hotel's courtyard.

Room Tip: Wifi works great in the front of the building.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank baltojo
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Good location and very nice staff. Room was bigger than I had expected. It is a very old hotel like most places in French Quarter but clean, comfortable bed and most amenities provided. We would stay here again. The location is near the French market.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank lmlupner
Moncton, Canada
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Stayed at the VC for the 1st time this past October, staying in a budget room. The room was much larger than I was expecting since it was a budget room, located just off the small courtyard, with a very comfortable bed and pillows. The sink area was located outside the bathroom, which added to the feeling of being spacious.

If you book here, you are not getting a high class hotel. No amenities, no mints on the pillow, not even a telephone in the room (which I found very odd). And it could use some TLC (fixing peeling wallpaper in bathroom, courtyard could use a good cleaning and sprucing up, and why would you ever paint a brick wall). But if you're looking/needing a budget hotel that is clean, quiet, in a good location in the French Quarter, the VC is more than sufficient. I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo