“Well placed ”

Hotel Villa Convento
Ranked #100 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Excellent location. Nice and kind staff, always helpful. Clean and white towels, good beds, charming inner garden. Interesting old fashioned (New Orleans style) building. Needs some reformation though (painting...), and maybe extra care about mold (carpets and walls).

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Alexandre M

Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed here during a quick weekend getaway and I couldn't be happier with the incredible customer service we received.

First the hotel as a whole: it's old...shabby in some areas and could definitely use a good cleaning as there was dust and a musty smell everywhere. It's a very very old building so that's to be expected. If that puts you off, find somewhere downtown because in the "historic" french quarter, this is going to be the norm. We were very happy with our room overall though. There was an awesome brick wall on one side, queen size bed and a great patio outside with a beautiful view of the convent. The tub/shower had great pressure and the water got incredibly hot but it was rather cramped. There is no central AC but all rooms are equipped with a powerful (if not somewhat loud) window AC unit and a ceiling fan. We thought it was rather charming overall.

The location is great. Everything is within a couple blocks, great food, bourbon street (if that's your thing) the voodoo museum, the walking/mule tours, the convent, jazz clubs. It's all right there. We took a cab from the airport (35 bucks plus tip) and then pretty much walked everywhere with two exceptions.

Where the hotel excelled however was with their impeccable customer service. I booked the room online and a couple months ahead of time after reading about the history of the place and about how it's "haunted." We thought it would be pretty cool. After I booked I had several phone and email conversations with them and they were always very communicative, polite and helpful. I asked them to set the room up with fresh flowers, sparkling cider and some fresh pastries/treats for when we checked in. I wanted to surprise the wife with a little welcome-to-new-orleans present. They were SO WILLING to go the extra mile for us. They gave me fantastic recommendations for dinner reservations and things to do, called us a cab when it was too hot to walk all the way to the WWII museum and called us a bicycle carriage when the wife didn't want to walk to dinner in her heels. When we checked in they were expecting us and greeted us by name and the room was beautifully set up with two bouquets of fresh flowers, sparkling cider on ice and a box of fresh French pastries from incredible bakery across the street.

I really can't say enough about how awesome the staff was. I will not hesitate to come back if we ever decide to go back to the French Quarter.

Room Tip: There are four floors of rooms. We stayed on the third floor. The elevator is ancient and only accom...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BeachBoysFan1966
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This is a great hotel if you are looking for a classic New Orleans experience. The building is old, the elevator is (charmingly?) creepy. But we loved it! The beds and sheets were very comfortable and I slept very well. The air conditioner was a window unit, which could be noisy, but I like white noise when I sleep so it did not bother me. Also, we were there in hot, humid August weather, and to its credit, the window AC unit kept our room very cool! It was refreshing to step into the room after walking around the sweltering heat! Usually, I enjoy a refrigerator in hotel rooms, but I was not bothered not having one here. If I wanted a drink, there were so many places within walking distance to grab on. If I had leftovers, I gave it away to someone on the street. I got to New Orleans at 3pm on a Friday, and I was able to grab a spot in the parking garage a few blocks away. When I picked it up Sunday at noon, the garage was packed! I was happy to have my car stored free, but it was first come, first serve, so I recommend getting there early. It was a bit disconcerting to have NO parking on the street to even load and unload, but the staff members were always friendly, and when I left he met me outside with my luggage and helped me get it in my car quickly. This is not a polished hotel, it is old and shows it age. But it is comfortable and clean, and the lobby staff is friendly. I stayed with my 11 year old daughter, and we felt safe. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank melshawnrn
Reviewed 25 July 2014

As everyone mentions it is an old building and is rather worn around the edges but it was a perfect place for my boyfriend and I to stay for 4 nights on our first visit to New Orleans. I loved this place! The location is perfect, quiet (but not dodgy quiet) residential street in the french quarter just minutes walk away from the french market, Frenchmens Street, Bourbon street and more than a few amazing restaurants. It seems right to come back to an old villa after a night out wandering the french quarter rather than a modern hotel. The staff couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. I didn't get their names sadly but one wonderful lady on reception gave us a list of restaurants and typical New Orleans haunts to try (we found it pinned to our door after asking a few questions the night before) Thank You! The rooms are fine, we stayed in a Queen room in the main building. It was a decent size with an ensuite, the bed was very comfortable and it was clean and tidy. The air conditioner worked very well albeit a little noisily. We were actually comfortable with it off overnight as found the evening rain tended to cool things down. Breakfast is not included (after some of our hotel breakfast experiences this didn't bother us) but there are some great cafes nearby and a tasty bakery opposite the hotel. When i come back to New Orleans I shall most definitely be staying again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kayljay
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Let me start by saying nothing about this place is 5 star if that's what you are looking for stay on Canal St. We have been staying here for 4 years now going two or three times a year and we won't stay anywhere else, we just got home from there celebrating my daughter's birthday Warren who's amazing by the way made sure our balconies were side by side. The bed was fantastic and air conditioner worked perfectly. No issues with noise it's far enough away from Bourbon St you don't have to worry. Free parking is also a plus! It has history and even a ghost or two if you go ask them to tell you a story or two.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank JHester
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Like many other people have said, it's very old and a fresh coat of paint could do wonders. What I found most disappointing from other reviews was the sleep quality. The hotel is noisy and early one morning (around 6 am) kids (who are not supposed to be allowed) woke me up running down the halls. The other issue is the sun shines tremendously bright in the balcony rooms very early in the mornings, and the curtains and blinds are awfully thin. This was also the only time the A/C could not keep up and the room got uncomfortably warm. This combination made sleeping impossible for me.

Not having a refrigerator in the room makes it difficult to fully enjoy the balcony. You can't enjoy a cold beer unless you brought an ice chest but we were able to chill champagne in our ice bucket (by the way, I wouldn't drink with ice as there were no liners and as other reviews have mentioned, it's not the cleanest), and get a cheese plate from the French Market (only 2 blocks away) and enjoy some appetizers before dinner.

The location is great and the price could not be beat. The free garage parking is also very nice. It is small and is on a first come first serve basis, so I recommend getting there as early as possible.

I don't have a lot to say about the service. They seemed nice, but I didn't experience them going out of their way for us. One girl was on her phone every time I went into the lobby, which I find annoying.

All in all, it was a nice vacation, but I think I'll probably stay somewhere else next time

Room Tip: Bring blinders to sleep in.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JoelM448
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I stayed here in June with two girlfriends for a weekend trip. We stayed in a loft room, which would have easily slept five and not felt cramped. Everything was clean, although it was definitely old and had seen better days (hence, 4/5 rather than 5/5). There was some peeling paint, old fixtures, and linens were worn, but for the price, we were totally fine with it. The fan in the bathroom was AGGRESSIVELY loud which was more of an issue than it sounds like in writing.

The staff were friendly and attentive. We arrived late and received a warm welcome. All three of our keys became demagnetized and a staff member arrived at 2am to fix the situation one night. They also ordered us a cab at 6am to take us to the airport. It all went smoothly. They were also able to provide some great recommendations to a friend who was interested in day trips outside of New Orleans.

The location is great- walking distance Bourbon Street, the French Market,and all the other attractions of the French Quarter. It's removed enough from the action that you don't have to deal with the debauchery of Bourbon if that's not your scene.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends