“Stay We Look Forward To!!!!”

Hotel Villa Convento
Ranked #100 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 28 August 2014

My best friend and I try to visit the French Quarter every summer. In July of 2013 we were in room 306. Everything was great and Warren was so very friendly and never too busy to visit. So we booked again this year for August 11th. This time we took the 20 year old grandson who wanted to see NO. Again we were treated as family. Emily even called us about 8 pm (as we were driving down in one day from Springfield, Missouri) just to see how we were doing to make sure we would be able to be there before midnight to get in, or she would make other arrangements for us to get in and be able to park in the garage.

Our first afternoon our key cards quit working, and Emily worked every option she had to fix it but could not. Finally as they were not real full that week, she gave us room 400, one of the 2 room suites ( reputed to be a very haunted room at the hotel). Everything and everybody(Warren, Triska, Emily) were absolutely great. Both of the rooms were very clean . We will ALWAYS!!! go here to stay. Denise D.

Room Tip: Rooms 306 on 3rd floor, #103 in the courtyard, and suite 400 were all wonderful and very clean. Sui...
2  Thank Denise D

Reviewed 25 August 2014

This review is overdue- we stayed for a long weekend in May 2014. Starting with the positives, the location of this hotel can't be beat. It is within easy walking distance of just about anything in the FQ, but sits in a quiet part of town so you don't hear all the commotion when you want some down time. The price was also very affordable. The staff was always friendly and helpful, but we didn't experience anything over the top as others have indicated (although we didn't need help with anything beyond a cab). As an aside, when we were checking in, the woman at the desk was confused by almost everything I asked, and she quickly offered up that she had just smoked a joint in the courtyard, and then exclaimed "Welcome to New Orleans!" Actually saw her lighting up in the courtyard two other times during our stay. Didn't bother me much, but I'd assume you might get a few guests that might be put off by this. The few interactions I had with Warren, I found him to be very nice and helpful.
As other reviews state, the hotel does have a lot of character, but I think it also needs a little TLC. I observed one of the railings on the third floor was extremely loose, to the point if you leaned on it, you'd be taking a 3-story fall. When we reported it, there was someone out repairing it the next day. We stayed in the loft rooms on the third floor, which have a king or queen bed plus a bathroom on the main floor, and then two twins in the loft. The loft was not very well lit, and if you are tall, you need to watch your head up there. Not a ton of privacy for two couples to share these rooms, as the bathroom door is about 2 feet from the bed. There is a little balcony in front of the two loft rooms that looks down in the interior courtyard, but not a ton of room. If someone is sitting in a chair, you need to climb over them to get past.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay. This is definitely a no-frills place that feels nothing like a chain hotel. If location and cost are a concern, I think this hotel is a great choice. All that said, can't say I wouldn't stay here again, but will probably try something different next time in town.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank D-C-Swede-910
Reviewed 18 August 2014

This hotels is lovely , with new Orleans character. The beds were clean and comfortable, and we had lovely clean towels, the staff were amazing. The location is perfect of the French market and tourist places. The only thing that let this hotel down is it needs decorating, and new carpets, they are quite old and dirty which is ashame

Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Excellent location. Nice and kind staff, always helpful. Clean and white towels, good beds, charming inner garden. Interesting old fashioned (New Orleans style) building. Needs some reformation though (painting...), and maybe extra care about mold (carpets and walls).

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Alexandre M
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed here during a quick weekend getaway and I couldn't be happier with the incredible customer service we received.

First the hotel as a whole: it's old...shabby in some areas and could definitely use a good cleaning as there was dust and a musty smell everywhere. It's a very very old building so that's to be expected. If that puts you off, find somewhere downtown because in the "historic" french quarter, this is going to be the norm. We were very happy with our room overall though. There was an awesome brick wall on one side, queen size bed and a great patio outside with a beautiful view of the convent. The tub/shower had great pressure and the water got incredibly hot but it was rather cramped. There is no central AC but all rooms are equipped with a powerful (if not somewhat loud) window AC unit and a ceiling fan. We thought it was rather charming overall.

The location is great. Everything is within a couple blocks, great food, bourbon street (if that's your thing) the voodoo museum, the walking/mule tours, the convent, jazz clubs. It's all right there. We took a cab from the airport (35 bucks plus tip) and then pretty much walked everywhere with two exceptions.

Where the hotel excelled however was with their impeccable customer service. I booked the room online and a couple months ahead of time after reading about the history of the place and about how it's "haunted." We thought it would be pretty cool. After I booked I had several phone and email conversations with them and they were always very communicative, polite and helpful. I asked them to set the room up with fresh flowers, sparkling cider and some fresh pastries/treats for when we checked in. I wanted to surprise the wife with a little welcome-to-new-orleans present. They were SO WILLING to go the extra mile for us. They gave me fantastic recommendations for dinner reservations and things to do, called us a cab when it was too hot to walk all the way to the WWII museum and called us a bicycle carriage when the wife didn't want to walk to dinner in her heels. When we checked in they were expecting us and greeted us by name and the room was beautifully set up with two bouquets of fresh flowers, sparkling cider on ice and a box of fresh French pastries from incredible bakery across the street.

I really can't say enough about how awesome the staff was. I will not hesitate to come back if we ever decide to go back to the French Quarter.

Room Tip: There are four floors of rooms. We stayed on the third floor. The elevator is ancient and only accom...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BeachBoysFan1966
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This is a great hotel if you are looking for a classic New Orleans experience. The building is old, the elevator is (charmingly?) creepy. But we loved it! The beds and sheets were very comfortable and I slept very well. The air conditioner was a window unit, which could be noisy, but I like white noise when I sleep so it did not bother me. Also, we were there in hot, humid August weather, and to its credit, the window AC unit kept our room very cool! It was refreshing to step into the room after walking around the sweltering heat! Usually, I enjoy a refrigerator in hotel rooms, but I was not bothered not having one here. If I wanted a drink, there were so many places within walking distance to grab on. If I had leftovers, I gave it away to someone on the street. I got to New Orleans at 3pm on a Friday, and I was able to grab a spot in the parking garage a few blocks away. When I picked it up Sunday at noon, the garage was packed! I was happy to have my car stored free, but it was first come, first serve, so I recommend getting there early. It was a bit disconcerting to have NO parking on the street to even load and unload, but the staff members were always friendly, and when I left he met me outside with my luggage and helped me get it in my car quickly. This is not a polished hotel, it is old and shows it age. But it is comfortable and clean, and the lobby staff is friendly. I stayed with my 11 year old daughter, and we felt safe. I would stay here again.

1  Thank melshawnrn
Reviewed 25 July 2014

As everyone mentions it is an old building and is rather worn around the edges but it was a perfect place for my boyfriend and I to stay for 4 nights on our first visit to New Orleans. I loved this place! The location is perfect, quiet (but not dodgy quiet) residential street in the french quarter just minutes walk away from the french market, Frenchmens Street, Bourbon street and more than a few amazing restaurants. It seems right to come back to an old villa after a night out wandering the french quarter rather than a modern hotel. The staff couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. I didn't get their names sadly but one wonderful lady on reception gave us a list of restaurants and typical New Orleans haunts to try (we found it pinned to our door after asking a few questions the night before) Thank You! The rooms are fine, we stayed in a Queen room in the main building. It was a decent size with an ensuite, the bed was very comfortable and it was clean and tidy. The air conditioner worked very well albeit a little noisily. We were actually comfortable with it off overnight as found the evening rain tended to cool things down. Breakfast is not included (after some of our hotel breakfast experiences this didn't bother us) but there are some great cafes nearby and a tasty bakery opposite the hotel. When i come back to New Orleans I shall most definitely be staying again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple