Hotel Villa Convento
Chateau Hotel(New Orleans)
Hotel Royal(New Orleans)
Soniat House(New Orleans)
  • Bar/Lounge
Inn on Ursulines(New Orleans)
Cornstalk Hotel(New Orleans)
  • Pool
Place d'Armes Hotel(New Orleans)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsfrench marketbudget roomcroissant d'orbeauregard keyes housebalcony roomrising sunfew blockspeeling paintcookie cutterchain hotelbourbon streetquiet streetdirectly across the streetghost tourlocation is greatparking garagejackson square
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 March 2010

We just came back from 5 days here and found it easy to get around the city. The streetcar, the tour sites, all the Quarter, restaurants, shops, galleries, are all within 15 minute walk max. Family-owned and staff is helpful, courteous, and good people. If you want real NO lodging, this is the place at a reasonable $. No, it doesn't have all the amenities of the big hotels, but very adequate. Free on-street parking when available. Housekeeping every day. We felt safe. There are some maintenance issues for a 200 year old building, but you can find that in varying degrees everywhere. GO FOR IT!

Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RareReviewerFlorida
Reviewed 28 January 2010

The only thing to excellent about this hotel is that it was a bit musty when we first walked in. Stayed for a total of 3 nights and really enjoyed it. The hotel is about a 5min walk to bourbon st activities and 4-5 min walk to Decatur st and Jackson square. There's a courtyard which is really cute and has seating and plantlife. There's also a garage but it's kind of a strange system: you have to get a key form the receptionist, drive a few blocks to park in the garage and then walk back with the key. If you're leaving you need to get the key and then drop it off. Kind of strange but mostly not a big deal. the garage isn't that big and if you block someone you have to leave your key with the receptionist (unless you're like me and don't want to, in which case you're expected to move your car whenever someone needs to move in or out). Overall, this was definitely worth it and would definitely go back!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank m0nkeygirl
Reviewed 8 January 2010

I visited the hotel during Christmas and it was wonderful. It was beautifully decorated and it felt so cheery. I had a room in the main building (not a courtyard or balcony) and it was great. It was cozy, quiet, and I slept so well in that bed. Me and my partner have been to New Orleans several times and usually stay at the bigger more popular hotels. We decided this time we would try some where new. WOW I loved it, it felt like I was a resident of the city. The staff was so friendly it felt like they were old friends (we hung out downstairs in the beautiful bar with the family who ran the place), the building itself is located on a quaint street right across the street from an awesome patisserie and its right down the street from the French Market (which was redone very nicely). The hallways were chilly which is fine, you don’t really hang out in the hallway; the building was built before electricity was invented so where would they put heaters without ruining the integrity of the halls but the most important our room was warm, had a flat screen tv, was clean and had nice shower pressure. I see how many people may not like this hotel because if you like everything to be perfect or you like the consistency of larger place this hotel is not for you. The place is unique and is unlike any other hotel. I see why most guests who stay here are from the area and Europeans. They enjoy it here because they appreciate the history, architecture and like to support a small family run business. I cannot wait to return!

1  Thank fariyland101
Reviewed 6 January 2010

My wife and I went down to New Orleans the week after Christmas to get away from the family a bit. Though I wouldn't recommend this time of year unless you like the cold. We bundled up out side to brave weather. But the inside of the hotel was no better. It was freezing throughout the halls. There are many doors leading to other areas and patios on each floor, and for some reason, no matter what time of day I passed it, they were slightly ajar. I don't understand why as it was around 30 degrees at night. The staff was nice and helpful - I should know because we had to ask them for new batteries to our remote, for shampoo and conditioner that was not in our room, and for a hairdryer because where ours once was, there was now a marked tear in the wall - where someone had stolen or removed a wall mounted hairdryer.
The bathroom had a plastic shower curtain that was ripped. Fingerprints from guests past were all over walls, doors, near light switches - does no one wipe down the walls? The art work was also ripped or dented along with the wall paper. Water stains also marked the ceilings and walls, shoeprints and luggage scrapes scarred the interior of our room. A fresh coat of paint or new art from a flea market would have helped. The bed was bowed - like sleeping in a hammock - that definitely added to the poor sleep we got. It was so cold in the rooms, that we were provided with electrical heaters. But there was no comfortable medium. At night the air was so hot and dry your mouth, tongue, lips and nostrils dried up and in the mornings we had sore throats. The bathroom sink is in the bedroom and it would clog with in seconds of brushing your teeth or washing your face.
IF you could tolerate all that - there was a smell of sewer that appeared every so often, and sounds of the wall crumbling when people upstairs would move. It was definitely an old establishment with need of upkeep.

Reviewed 3 January 2010

I found this hotel in the Frommers travel guide, and it sounded quaint. I like boutique hotels, but this one seemed as though the owners did not really pay attention to details or care too much about them. Our room had a dresser with missing knobs, a piece of the wall had loose wires hanging out as though the fire alarm or something was supposed to be there. I told them about the wall, and they didn't seem to care. They didn't come look at it or anything. Also, the walls are paper thin. We could hear every word of our neighbor's television (among other things). For the price of this hotel, we were expecting MUCH more. We originally had three nights booked here, and left after our first night because we were so dissatisfied.