“Almost perfect but...”

Ranked #62 of 164 Hotels in New Orleans
Atlanta, Georgia
“Almost perfect but...”
Reviewed 9 May 2011

This place has a great location on Canal St, just steps from the Quarter. The bedrooms are spacious and well appointed, everything is clean, and the beds are very comfortable. Staff was nice and attentive. However, the internet service was the biggest disappointment. We were told the--way overpriced--charge of $14.95 was good for 24 hours. However both days the connection ended at noon. Since check-in starts at 3 pm, there is no way you can ever get it for 24 hours (we actually checked in late in the evening so it was only good for a few hours). Moreover, the "self-service business center" is a joke. You "rent" computers and pay 49 cents for each minute online. Quite ridiculous for such a big hotel where I'm sure many conferences and business meetings are hosted. Aside from that it's a great choice if you don't need/want to be online.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Piolina

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
  • Indonesian first
San Francisco
Reviewed 6 May 2011

The JW Marriott is clean and quite. All personnel we had contact with were friendly and helpful. Location is great.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Burnaby, Canada
Reviewed 26 April 2011

The 4 of us arrived around 6:00 p.m.April12th greeted by very friendly staff. One of the employees noticed a Canadian flag on my suitcase and asked us where we were from and if we had ever been to NOLA before. We said it was our first time and that both couples were here celebrating 25th wedding anniversaries. He welcomed us and wished us a happy anniversary. We had a few hours before our dinner reservation so we checked out Burbon Stret and a few others. When we returned to our rooms we found champagne on ice and chocolate covered strawberries in each room.(Full bottles of good champagne) What a way to start a vacation. The next 6 days for the 4 of us were way too short. There are far too many good restaurants, bars, neighborhoods, etc. to visit in such a short time.
I would like to thank the gentlemen who spoke with us that first night in the Marriott. I did not get his name and I did not see him again during our stay. I am pretty sure he had everything to do with the Champagne and strawberries. Jw give this man a raise! We will definatley be returning to your hotel someday soon.

RPS from Burnaby,B.C.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rj1986
Washington, DC Area
Reviewed 11 April 2011

Stayed at the jw for two nights on business. upon check-in, i greeted warmly by all the staff--really nice and friendly. The front desk person let me know of all the events in the area. The hotel itself was really nice--marble floors, a built-in art gallery and gathering area--perfect for meeting with others. My room was on the 26th floor--it was well furnished, clean with 2 double beds. I also had free Wifi--which shocked me. i thought there was a fee, but perhaps because I'm a Marriott rewards member, it was covered. The wifi was quick and very reliable. The fitness room was good--small, but with quality workout machines (Life Fitness) and free weights, mats, stability balls. The location of the hotel was right on canal street--near everything and close to the street car lines. Overall a good stay and I would definitely recommend this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 7 April 2011

My sister, her husband and I stayed at the JW Marriott on Canal St. and it was one of the best hotels I've stayed in for some time. The Marriott Hotel is directly across Canal St. and is a typical downtown Marriott hotel with all the services but the JW is quite a notch above and I would recommend this hotel over any others when staying in New Orleans. The staff is very courteous and efficient.

Room Tip: The higher the better but all the rooms at quiet.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Patty1234
Reviewed 4 April 2011

I booked this hotel with Priceline and I got a good deal. The room was clean, comfortable and quiet. Previous reviews indicated the possible presence of bed bugs and I was worried I checked my mattress thoroughly and it was clear. Room 1706 had no bed bugs. It was a pleasant stay and I was happy.

• Stayed April 2011
miami, FL
Reviewed 30 March 2011

Stayed here three days on business. Super easy check in and nice front desk people.
Staff overall was very friendly and helpful throughout the stay.

On 25th floor corner (there are a lot of corners) and access to concierge level on 27 (there a lot of ppl who had access). Overall, hotel had a crowded feel.

Hotel is nice rooms were good sized for NOLA, but could use some updating (namely carpeting). Furnishings and bath were good quality. Views even from high floor were obstructed but you could kind of see the Gulf. Can't Marriott corp figure out a way to build a hotel where I can't here the guy in the next room singing "I want to sex you up" ???! Normal conversation was audible from adjoining room.

We had lots of problems with internet connectivity on levels where it was available. Free internet access at this hotel is totally unreliable as in we had problems every day.

Overall, good value for $ especially with concierge access. Food nothing to write home about but server was nice.

We ate at Shula's for lunch, pricey but good!

I would recommend the hotel with caveat that Mr. JWM needs to put this place on his to do list on 2011.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business