“Excellent hotel, location, and service”

JW Marriott New Orleans
Ranked #57 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Excellent hotel, location, and service”
Reviewed 13 June 2011

I had a free night to use and spent it here over a weekend in New Orleans. I have stayed here before but this time they upgraded my room to a top floor corner suite. It was very nice and had a terrific view. The staff is very friendly and the location is perfect. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank Sublimebrad

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (491)
  • Indonesian first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Requested a high floor corner room (early check-in, extra towels, nonfeather pillows) went 0 for 3. Arrived in at 11:30 and told that will be ready at the latest 3 p.m.
Returned at 02:15 to check up on the room and it was ready. Quite puzzling as I had
left my cell# for reception to call when our preassigned room was ready. No call was rcvd. I must say though that the front desk staff were quite courteous.
Room was clean and nice sized. Room fridge and mini safe ( you'll need a chair to be able to view yr contents ). Bathroom/counter space was small, however shower is good due to curtain design. Not great water pressure so the shower was just enough to get by. No bathroom fan so expect the misty mirrors.
Checked out the 8th floor outdoor pool and there was no locker room adjacent to their nice gym/workout area which you pass through to go to the pool.

With late checkout time at 1 p.m. for most guests who may request such, there is no courtesy shower/room to allow for you to wash up from that New Orleans heat/humidity induced perspiration. Their lobby bathroom is one alternative. So at around 4 p.m.
I opted for the less frequented of spots and went a floor up to the conference room level to change. It was a morgue up there. Found a tucked away area by the piano with a table and did a quick change. Figures a security guy would stroll by as I was about to put on my belt. He suspiciously asked, "can I help you ? " for which I simply replied,
"only if you want to dress me ! " I then told him I was a guest and my room #, but that didnt seem to be enough for him. Then I scrambled unsuccessfully for the roombill copy and just gave him my room key. Then he returned asking for a name to go with it.
Oh Boy !
Parking is $33.00 + a night with many garages 4less around the corner if you have a car that is really not needed in the city, especially if it's a busy time.
The porters/doormen were great and more than helpful. They knew their stuff.
Be down by 10 a.m. for the morning papers from the front desk.
Comp WiFi is near the restaurant and spa, else the usual hotel cash grab from your room.
For the best of the rest....The complimentary lemonade at the front desk is well
worth the calories !
2 days in N.O is more than enough. 1 night of the many Bourbon St street odors should be pungent enough for most.

- Was awoken @ 09:00 Sunday a.m. by employees in the hallway ( must hv been room service guys ). Should have put a towel at the door bottom

P.S. - visited a buddy staying at The W (FQ), beautiful place.

Room Tip: You need to ask and then maybe you'll rcv
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Bimmercando
Sarnia, Ontario
Reviewed 10 June 2011

Stayed here for business as Marriott across street was booked up. I liked this hotel as it was quieter then the hustle and bustle of the Marriott Convention Centre which I visited on several occasions. I only slept here so cant speak to the food. I did find the room clean and comfortable, with a wide assortment of pillows provided. The bathroom was clean, and the shower pressure was adequate. Hotel is conveniently located on Canal Street, while only minutes from Bourbon Street - but not too close that you're kept awake all night with loud drunks and music. Bourbon Street is just far away and can certainly be loud, wild and attract a different crowd particularly as the night wears on. The elevators in this hotel were very quick, while I never felt unsafe in the hotel. I didn't see alot of this hotel, but what I saw, I liked..

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank SunSeekerRon
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 7 June 2011

This JW Marriott is an ideal New Orleans location, with a nice lobby and staff, but the rooms are really disappointing for a JW Marriott. You will hear the very loud elevators and the conversations/TV of your neighbors through the paper-thin walls. Small rooms with worn furnishings. I love the Marriott chain, but won't stay here again. And parking is $35 a night....

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank GreyFamilyTX
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 June 2011

We stayed 2 nights using Marriott points. The sleeping area of our room was spacious, but the bathroom was too cramped for two people to get ready at the same time. Little things like a moldy ceiling above the shower, snags in the shower curtain, ripped carpeting, etc detracted from the overall experience. Definitely time for a renovation.

The location on Canal Street just across from the French Quarter is excellent.

Not bad for free with points, but I wouldn't pay for the room. We would try the Marriott across Canal before we stayed here again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Jersey, UK
Reviewed 5 June 2011

I like JW Marriott Hotels as I always find them to be high quality and was not disappointed with the JW Marriott New Orleans during my two night stay. The hotel is very well located and a short walk from the French Quarter, the waterfront and Harrahs Casino.

The room was modern and very nice with a view overlooking the city and Jackson Square.

I did not eat in the restaurant, but had a few drinks in the bar which was very pleasant.

The hotel was in good condition but a little dated in places and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

If I were to visit New Orleans again, I would stay at the JW Marriott depending on the room rate.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank AndyJsy79
New York City
Reviewed 1 June 2011

One again, my wife and I spent our annual Memorial Day visit to NOLA at the JW Marriott. It's clean, comforable and relatively quiet for such a large building. Marriott beds are great! My wife loves hangin' out by the pool. I find the staff to be exceptional. (So many of them asked me how I feel, or tell me to have a nice day.) The workers at the reception area, William Jenkins and Janerio V. will go out of their way to find you information or help you check in/out. (Yes it's their job, but they really seem to enjoy what they do.)
One morning,I had the breakfast buffet dounstairs at Shula's. There were only a few customers. Since I ordered the buffet, I basically waited on myself, got my own coffee...etc. When I asked for a check, the waiter told me that the breakfest was "no charge". When I asked for an explanation, he apologized for "not giving me enough attention." I was amazed. It's an indication of how this hotel values customer satifaction. I love staying here.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends