“Slightly disappointed”

Ranked #58 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Hamilton, New Jersey
“Slightly disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

Pros: Outstanding location, very knowledgeable and helpful concierge (Melissa) and staff. The hotel in general and the room specifically were very clean.

Cons: Average size room (smaller than expected but comfortable), TINY bathroom, inconsistent housekeeping (one day skipped), (no extra toilet paper which almost became a real problem!), no refrigerator (which can be a problem for some), a safe up so high in the closet that I could not easily reach it (I am 5' 11! My wife is 5' 1 1/2" and was totally unable to use it.)

Overall, standard/to slightly below standard Marriott quality at what is supposed to be a very upscale Marriott brand. However, given the location and the helpfulness of the concierge and staff I would definitely consider staying here again.

It is hard for me to rate the value as we traveled there on an airline package.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Granddog

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
  • Indonesian first
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

Luckily this was a business trip and I did not have to fork over the $400/night for an ok room. I've paid $140 for similar rooms in other hotels. The rate was expensive due to a local football game that night and all hotels in New O jacked up their rates accordingly. As well, being a business trip, it was a real bummer that we had no WiFi in the rooms - there were, however, 2 courtesy PC's in the lobby (stand-up stations). Service was courteous and the rooms were large and clean but just not worth that rate. Had it been $140/night, I would have given them a 4/5. Nice buffet breakfast with hot/cold options.

Room Tip: There are some "executive" floors for a higher rate that apparently have more amenities.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Hull England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

Great location for all tourtistic activity. Good for public transport. This is more upmarket, then the normal Marriott chain. Had a great view of the Mississippi from the room, even though this is not the tallest building in the vicinity. The in house steak house is one of the best in the US. There was music available almost everyday in the music lounge. Very helpul and friendly staff. But then it is a a very friendly city. It is one of the foodie capitals of the World !

Room Tip: get a room up high
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2011

I read all the reviews before staying here so my expectations were fairly low. I got a very good price on the room as part of a trade show at the convention center. I've never stayed at another JW Marriott but I've stayed in hundreds of other hotels of all levels and this place is actually fine. I'll give you the good and the bad. The good: excellent staff - my first room had a noisy ceiling exhaust fan that I knew instantly would bother me so I just hauled my belongings back to the front desk and they happily gave me another room which they also said was an upgrade. The room was really nice, I loved the layout and it was very, very quiet. Twice I asked the concierge for a restaurant recommendation and both restaurants were fabulous (Bonton - ask for Pat's section and Pelican Club - for a very nice dinner). I also like the free guest laundry. You NEVER see this in an upscale hotel, I did my own laundry and this made the trip for me. The gym was also quite nice. They also don't try to nickel and dime you like some upscale hotels. And the location couldn't be better. You are literally steps away from just about anything.
The bad - truthfully, I didn't have any complaints. I don't think the room is worth $300 or more a night and my colleague, who has stayed at other JW Marriotts, said that this really isn't up to that grade but I found it perfectly fine. The TV had some serious issues but I spoke to the front desk and they said it was a temporary problem. I can believe that, I've stayed in many, many hotels and this is a very common problem (i don't know why though, millions of Americans have no trouble getting cable to come in clearly, why do hotels struggle so much with this?). There is so much to do in New Orleans that you really shouldn't be spending much time in front of the tv anyway.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are nicer and they have plenty of them.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank view2mtn
chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2011

In town for vacation and got a great rate here. Second time staying here. Location is perfect, close to everything, yet not loud like some places in the quarter. A really nice perk is the new I-club music venue that is located right off the lobby. A great place to see live music right in the hotel and no cover for hotel guests. Drinks a little pricey, but we saw a couple great bands including the owner of the club, Irvin Mayfield. Room was nice as was the bed and service was fine. When in New Orleans, this is becoming our homebase.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Dripping Springs, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2011

JW Marriott was a great hotel to stay at for a night in New Orleans...just a block to Bourbon Street. I got a great deal on Priceline for just $70. We stayed one night and it was the best location. Everything was great...bed, cleanliness, gym, pool and hotel staff. The one drawback is that the hotel only offers valet parking at a cost of $30! You can find parking in other garages just around the corner for only $7 to $10.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank amoynihan
Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2011

I had a very pleasant stay at this hotel. The panoramic view of the city from my corner room was truly breathtaking, I enjoyed the extra touches, like the tea and Biscoff cookies, the magazines and the reading light on the headboard. The staff was indeed very friendly as noted in other reviews. I make it a habit to tip the hotel maids, but never before have I received a handwritten "Thank You" note in return. Additionally, the breakfast buffet at Shula's was very tasty and a good value. I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business