“Wonderful hotel with spot on service”

JW Marriott New Orleans
Ranked #73 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 11 November 2011

Stayed here for a destination bachelorette party so we took up several rooms. Had a fantastic rate and were treated like very special guests. One in our party was physically disabled and was well accommodated - the rest of us were very comfortable in our rooms as well with cozy beds, pillows, and lots of necessary towels. Concierge often approached us to make sure we were making the most of our stay, which was greatly appreciated. Thanks JW Marriott! We'll be back! :)

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,469)

Reviewed 10 November 2011

We stayed at the JW Marriott for 3 nights in early November (11/5-11/8). The expereince was disapointing from the start. The check-in process was very slow and there were no apologies given. The front desk staff bordered on being rude, at the very least they were unattentive and disinterested. The king room was small and the bathroom smaller. The staff was not particularly helpful nor friendly. There were room service items left in the hallway for 2 days and no one picked them up. Two of the four elevators were apparently out of service for most of the first 2 days resulting in long lines to We are loyal Marriott travlers and have stayed in JW's before, but this hotel was not up to the standards of the brand at all. We had a good time in New Orleans despite the above, but I would not stay here again. We were willing to pay for luxury......this was not it!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ews414
Reviewed 8 November 2011

Worth the visit. However needs more employees at the front desk.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 November 2011

Pros: Outstanding location, very knowledgeable and helpful concierge (Melissa) and staff. The hotel in general and the room specifically were very clean.

Cons: Average size room (smaller than expected but comfortable), TINY bathroom, inconsistent housekeeping (one day skipped), (no extra toilet paper which almost became a real problem!), no refrigerator (which can be a problem for some), a safe up so high in the closet that I could not easily reach it (I am 5' 11! My wife is 5' 1 1/2" and was totally unable to use it.)

Overall, standard/to slightly below standard Marriott quality at what is supposed to be a very upscale Marriott brand. However, given the location and the helpfulness of the concierge and staff I would definitely consider staying here again.

It is hard for me to rate the value as we traveled there on an airline package.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Granddog
Reviewed 8 November 2011

Luckily this was a business trip and I did not have to fork over the $400/night for an ok room. I've paid $140 for similar rooms in other hotels. The rate was expensive due to a local football game that night and all hotels in New O jacked up their rates accordingly. As well, being a business trip, it was a real bummer that we had no WiFi in the rooms - there were, however, 2 courtesy PC's in the lobby (stand-up stations). Service was courteous and the rooms were large and clean but just not worth that rate. Had it been $140/night, I would have given them a 4/5. Nice buffet breakfast with hot/cold options.

Room Tip: There are some "executive" floors for a higher rate that apparently have more amenities.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Great location for all tourtistic activity. Good for public transport. This is more upmarket, then the normal Marriott chain. Had a great view of the Mississippi from the room, even though this is not the tallest building in the vicinity. The in house steak house is one of the best in the US. There was music available almost everyday in the music lounge. Very helpul and friendly staff. But then it is a a very friendly city. It is one of the foodie capitals of the World !

Room Tip: get a room up high
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 November 2011

I read all the reviews before staying here so my expectations were fairly low. I got a very good price on the room as part of a trade show at the convention center. I've never stayed at another JW Marriott but I've stayed in hundreds of other hotels of all levels and this place is actually fine. I'll give you the good and the bad. The good: excellent staff - my first room had a noisy ceiling exhaust fan that I knew instantly would bother me so I just hauled my belongings back to the front desk and they happily gave me another room which they also said was an upgrade. The room was really nice, I loved the layout and it was very, very quiet. Twice I asked the concierge for a restaurant recommendation and both restaurants were fabulous (Bonton - ask for Pat's section and Pelican Club - for a very nice dinner). I also like the free guest laundry. You NEVER see this in an upscale hotel, I did my own laundry and this made the trip for me. The gym was also quite nice. They also don't try to nickel and dime you like some upscale hotels. And the location couldn't be better. You are literally steps away from just about anything.
The bad - truthfully, I didn't have any complaints. I don't think the room is worth $300 or more a night and my colleague, who has stayed at other JW Marriotts, said that this really isn't up to that grade but I found it perfectly fine. The TV had some serious issues but I spoke to the front desk and they said it was a temporary problem. I can believe that, I've stayed in many, many hotels and this is a very common problem (i don't know why though, millions of Americans have no trouble getting cable to come in clearly, why do hotels struggle so much with this?). There is so much to do in New Orleans that you really shouldn't be spending much time in front of the tv anyway.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are nicer and they have plenty of them.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business