“Great Hotel, Outdated Room Style, Small Size”

Ranked #62 of 164 Hotels in New Orleans
United States
“Great Hotel, Outdated Room Style, Small Size”
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Stayed in a corner one bed king room. When I first walked in, the first thing I said was this is a tiny room. Needs updated paint and carpet though... The service was outstanding, thus making it worth the premium to stay here.

Pros:
-Excellent, outstanding service - They went above and beyond
-A/C kept room very cold, just the way I like it in 95* 100% humidity
-Comfortable Bed
-Light blocking shades
-Nice lobby, quick service, high quality bar
-Room service for breakfast was awesome
-High Def TV Channels for a few channels
-Excellent location around all the downtown venues

Cons:

-Small Room!
-Had to request king size pillows to go with my king bed (do not understand why this is at many hotels!)
-Many TV channels did not work
-The sounds of frat boys in the room next to me woke me up once
-WiFi was extremely slow during peak hours but suddenly got super fast once midnight hit (My thoughts are they purposely do this to encourage you to buy movies through their system vs hopping on Netflix)
-Room looks is very outdated (though newer, carpet looks ugly)
-No newspaper outside of door (JW Marriotts are usually known for this)
-Valet is wicked expensive!!

Room Tip: Get a high floor for less noise - King corner appears to have most room
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
OpsManager70130, General Manager at JW Marriott New Orleans, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Dear W H,

On behalf of all of us here at the JW Marriott, I'd like to personally thank you for sharing your thoughts. Feedback like yours is integral to our mission to keep improving. Your pros and cons list in particular is sure to be a valuable resource for future travelers researching hotels.

We pride ourselves on being swift and responding to customer needs and it sounds like our staff accomplished that on your behalf, by following through with prompt and courteous service. Of course, some things should come standard, as you noted—including working TV channels and fast Internet—and we'll be sure to address your concerns. We have taken note of everything that could be improved, and we're currently working through solutions. We are always updating the hotel, with better décor, furnishing and room amenities, so there's a good chance our rooms might better fit your needs upon your next visit.

We are eager to provide a luxurious and comfortable stay with all the comforts of home. I hope you'll choose the JW Marriott again. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help plan a future stay.

Ted Selogie

JW Marriott New Orleans

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
  • Indonesian first
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 1 July 2013

There's not much to say that hasn't already been said in other reviews. The location of this hotel..great! Short walk to Bourbon Street, The French Market, The St. Charles Streetcar line, drug stores, etc. The staff....great! The rooms....average size, very clean, the free bottled water and bar size refrigerator....great! My only suggestion would be that the JW put a sign somewhere, or upon check in, someone mention that the water is free. My party and I drank the water anyway, prepared to pay $5 per bottle, but were pleasantly surprised when it wasn't on the bill when we checked out. I do have to mention the great service I received from the concierge. Upon check in she wished me a Happy Birthday, I thanked her and didn't think much more of it. Upon opening the door to my room I was greeted with a huge bouquet of flowers and gifts that my husband had overnighted to the hotel. The concierge had them arranged very nicely in the room. I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 1 July 2013

We decided to spend the night at the JW Marriot in New Orleans after reading all the positive TA reviews. This hotel is centrally located within walking distance to Bourbon Street. Getting to the hotel is not very difficult but watch out for the Valet parking as they charge $42.00 a night. You will be better served by using one of the many private parking lots around the area. We found a nice and safe multi story parking lot a couple of blocks away for only $25.00 a night. Check in was quick and efficient and we were given a room in the 29th floor. Rooms are clean and modern (but rather small). Watch out for internet as it is only free in the lobby area (the charge is $14.95 per 24 hour period in your room). We had a few drinks in the lobby-bar and while I was a bit scared about the final bill, I am happy to say that the prices for drinks was nothing out of the ordinary. The outdoor pool is located on the 8th floor and provides a nice view of the city but be sure to go during off-peak hours as it tends to get full to capacity during the weekends and late afternoons. In all, if you are looking for a good and clean plus centrally located Marriot, give this one a try, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Dansladen
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Reserved an oversize king room, which gave us a corner view & more space, including a bathroom that was "behind" the sleeping area down a little hallway. This was great for middle-of-the-night trips to the bathroom without waking my spouse when turning a light on. We were on the 29th floor (of 30 floors). Needs a little updating but very good value for the money & you CANNOT beat the location--2 blocks from Royal & Bourbon Streets (but without the noise or sewer smell), on a trolley stop, and a 10-min walk to Harrahs/riverfront or a 20-min walk to French Market/the original Cafe du Monde. There also a CVS 5 minutes away, which is great for bottled water & snacks. Also, our in-room fridge was empty, which is a plus, since you can fill it yourself without the mini-bar hassle. Excellent hotel staff service.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Stayed in June 2013 for business. Great location on edge of French Quarter, so walking distance to just about anything you might need. Hotel interior was well done, room met all needs. Staff was excellent, friendly and helpful. Highly recommended for any trip to New Orleans, business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Higher floors can have good view of city and/or river.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Wembley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2013

A fantastic Marriott property, which deserves a much higher ranking on Trip Advisor. From the friendly staff and excellent service, this really should be your first choice of hotels in New Orleans.

The JW has a solid concierge lounge, which like many other US properties, is closed on the weekends.

My executive corner room was fantastic, with a large bath / shower combo. As other reviewers have mentioned, the beds are super comfortable. It is also nice to be able to control the air-con on those humid, NOLA nights and to keep the room very cool.

The reakfast buffet in the restaurant is of a high calibre and all of the servers were super-friendly. The bar was nice and friendly.

Free bottled water is available in the rooms, at the main entrance to the hotel (in an iced bucket) and in the gym.

Location-wise, the JW is close enough to the French Quarter for partying purposes, but far enough away that it is quiet haven of peace. I stayed for 4-nights while attending a conference at the Hotel Monteleone – I was so pleased with my choice and can’t wait to go back! The JW is a much nicer hotel than the Monteleone, which had very small rooms and shabby-chic decor.

Ted and his team should be really proud of such a top-notch property! Thanks again for making my trip so memorable.

Room Tip: Opt for a corner room is you can.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Wembleygal
OpsManager70130, Director of Operations at JW Marriott New Orleans, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Dear Wembleygal,

Thank you for your kind words. We certainly are proud of our property, and feedback like yours inspires us to work even harder. It sounds like you had a great visit, complete with your sweeping corner-room views and our signature service.

And I'm so glad you mentioned our breakfast buffet. Our chefs put a lot of effort into crafting a balanced, delicious meal that will give guests the energy they need to paint the town red.

It was our pleasure to have hosted you in New Orleans, and I hope you'll have the opportunity to stay with us again soon. There are so many memories to be made, many more amazing things to see—and, of course, no shortage of great Southern cooking.

Cole Wallace

Director of Operations
Philadelphia
Reviewed 25 June 2013

My fiance and I just return from a quick trip to NOLA, I couldn't find a hotel in my budget and started to get frustrated so as a last minute effort I went to price line, I placed a bid and ended up winning the JW. Never stayed at a JW before but I can't imagine staying any where else now. So beautiful when we walked in clean, bright an inviting. The ladies at the front desk so helpful quick check in. Once in the room marble every where, clean, ipod dock, cordless phone. Ran out of bottle water called the service desk for more and they came right away. Love NOLA the very next time we go it will definitely be the JW

• Stayed June 2013