“Good Recent Visit”

Ranked #60 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
Blue Bell
“Good Recent Visit”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

My husband and I stayed during a recent work trip. Parking is way too expensive!!! Parking is way too expensive! It cost $40 a night to park. The rest of the hotel was nice. The location is perfect, two blocks away from Bourbon street. Beds were comfortable. Concierge lounge was great - full meals for breakfast and dinner. This is my second stay at this hotel and both stays were good.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (502)
  • Indonesian first
League City, Texas
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We stayed at this hotel on August 8th and 9th. The hotel and staff was very nice, however, when we got to our rooms, I noticed on two pillow shams black spots which turned out to be mildew. We called the front desk and asked for these shams to be replaced while we were out of the room. When we came back in the room at night, the shams had not been replaced (this was several hours later). We had to recall the front desk, and re complain to have these replaced. Unbelievable for a J. W. Marriott!

I know this sounds picky, but this hotel was expensive per night, and mildew on pillow shams are unexceptable period, especially with a hotel of this quality.

In addition, if you have elderly people with walking difficulties, the hotel is several blocks from Burbon Street and many blocks from the French Market. I would suggest a closer located hotel to these areas, as this turned out to be quiet an issue for us.

In conclusion, the hotel was very pretty and the staff very nice, but I expect quality from a quality hotel. I just cant get past mildew on pillow shams, as this raises the question, "what else is not clean"?

Room Tip: Ask for a room up highs, as this will help with any noise outside.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
OpsManager70130, Director of Operations at JW Marriott New Orleans, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Dear Jan c,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay. I would like to begin by apologizing for the issue pertaining to the pillow cover in your guest room. Cleanliness and responsiveness is at the very top of our list when it comes to guest experience here at the JW Marriott. We take pride in insuring every guest room is inspected and issues are responded to in the most urgent manner. I can assure you that we have shared your feedback with our team and have taken steps to insure that this will not happen again. There's no need to worry about further or more widespread issues. Quality and service is what the JW Brand represents and we will continue to take steps to achieve this brand promise.

That said, it sounds like you still managed to have a largely enjoyable and relaxing stay here in New Orleans. As I'm sure you experienced, our staff is friendly and helpful, and it's encouraging to know that our talented personnel stood out as a trip highlight. In regards to the nearby sights, we're always happy to arrange alternative transportation, be it a taxi, ride on the streetcar, or private chauffeur. Just let us know what your needs are, and we will immediately set the wheels in motion.

I hope you'll have a chance to stay with us again, as we all look forward to seeing you again soon.

Cole Wallace

Director of Operations
All over
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Amazing customer service. I would give 5 stars but a bit pricy and I was disappointed in having to pay for internet, but when I approached the staff on this they did not charge for it. Provide internet for free in rooms and you get 5 stars next stay! Again, one of the best staffs I've ever seen at a hotel.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I've stayed at many Marriott properties in the Canal St area and the JW Marriott has, by far, the best concierge lounge and fitness center. The rooms are standard-issue high-end Marriott rooms -- nice and clean, but nothing out-of-the-ordinary in size or décor. The higher-floor rooms can have a nice view of the French Quarter, but the view of the river is blocked by the Sheraton next door and the Marriott across Canal St. The location -- Canal & St Charles -- is convenient to the French Quarter and the Arts/Warehouse District.

Dear mpeacock,

Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. We're so glad you had a chance to stay at the JW Marriott on your recent New Orleans visit. It sounds like you're well acquainted with the city and know exactly what to look for in a quality hotel. In particular, I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed our Concierge Lounge and fitness center. Both facilities are stocked with the finest features and equipment, and staffed by consummate professionals. We'd have to agree that they're the best in the area!

With our wide selection of rooms and suites here at the hotel, size, décor, and views are variable depending on the room type, I am happy that we met your expectations as it concerns cleanliness and quality. Should you visit again—and I hope you do—we would be happy to provide you with the best view to fit your preference and make your stay enjoyable. Until then, please let me know if there's anything I can do to make your next trip even better.

Cole Wallace

Director of Operations
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 27 August 2013

The service was excellent. The staff was friendly. The room was clean and the ambience was pleasing. I would definitely stay here again when i am next in New Orleans. I reccommend this hotel as a great place to say in the Big Easy.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 26 August 2013

For me the JW was an excellent choice for touring New Orleans. Is it a 5 star hotel, no but it is a very nice, modern, 4 star hotel in an excellent location for seeing New Orleans. This hotel is across from Bourbon Street so about a 2 minute walk. It has a nice pool, fairly nice restaurant on site. It is not a historic New Orleans Hotel. So it has air conditioning, nice sized rooms, comfortable beds, and is far enough away that it is quiet.

After spending a couple days in the old music places and restaurants on Bourbon Street it was very nice to return to a quiet modern hotel. New Orleans reminds me a bit of Vegas is that you don't spend alot of time in the room and are out late so for me having a great base for downtime is key.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 24 August 2013

My wife and I love New Orleans and have stayed at other hotels around the area. The JW was far and away my favorite place to date. The rooms were superb (the bed was like sleeping on a cloud and made us realize we need a new mattress at home!) and everyone was extremely friendly. The bonus of the hotel was completely unexpected. There are hundreds of bars in the city of New Orleans and the most unforeseen thing imaginable was that my favorite would be right inside the hotel I was staying at. They didn’t have special drinks, just a special guy named George behind the bar. He reminds me of the way bartenders used to be. He was genuinely interested in talking to us and we carried on a conversation for over an hour. Forget Zagat, we got all the best recommendations of where to go in the city from George. From restaurants to local jazz bars he was like an encyclopedia of what to do in New Orleans. We will miss the comfy mattress yes, but we will greatly miss our new friend George!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kenneth B
OpsManager70130, General Manager at JW Marriott New Orleans, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Dear Kenneth B,

Your review was a true delight to read. Thank you for sharing your experience! We're so glad you and your wife enjoyed your time here at the JW Marriott New Orleans. There's nothing that makes us happier than when a first-time guest finds their home away from home in our hotel. We believe the friendly staff is a key part of this discovery, and it's folks like George that make all the difference. I will be sure to pass along your compliments. If i know George. he's already looking forward to seeing you two again to talk about where you've been and what you've been up to.

No matter how good service is, the rooms and beds still need to be comfortable. That's why we put an emphasis on creating the most relaxing environment imaginable, complete with plush, luxurious bedding. When you're at the JW Marriott, you can be sure you'll enjoy restful sleep in your own private sanctuary. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Please let me know if there's anything we can do to help plan a visit.

Ted Selogie