“Beautiful hotel”

Ranked #63 of 164 Hotels in New Orleans
Toronto, Canada
“Beautiful hotel”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Located on Canal street, close to bourbon street. Small rooms but excellent staff and very clean facilities. 3 restaurants and a bar located within. I would definitely stay again! Southern hospitality at it's finest. The staff go above and beyond to ensure that your every need is met.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank kirsten h
OpsManager70130, General Manager at JW Marriott New Orleans, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear Kristen H.,

Thank you for choosing us as your New Orleans hotel destination. It is such a pleasure to be a part of our guests travel experiences, and to hear that you would choose to stay with us again is a wonderful reminder of why we do what we do. Our staff are experts when it comes to crafting one of a kind visits for each of our guests--we will be sure to pass along your kind words. When you find yourself ready for another Big Easy getaway, it would be our pleasure to welcome you back. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help you plan your next trip.

JW Marriott New Orleans

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
  • Indonesian first
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Two blocks from the craziness of the French Quarter, but far enough away from the noise. The service here is incredible , especially for a hotel of this size. I was greeted by name as I exited the taxi, walked to the check in desk where they promptly handed me my key.

The rooms and bedding are nice but small. There is a fridge in the room. The room service food isn't great, but the service is wonderful. They call just before delivering, and make extra effort in serving. Bacon was overdone, and the English muffins are store bought, when I was hoping for bakery quality.

To give you an idea of the service, I sneezed in the hallway, and a bellman happened to be near, inquired about my health, and offered to have complimentary soup delivered to my room. The doorman saw me waiting at the desk to get change, and emptied his pockets to give me his ones and quarters. He then gave me detailed instructions on riding the street car to the garden district.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
OpsManager70130, Director of Operations at JW Marriott New Orleans, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear Kallen02,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of your stay and for choosing us for your stay in New Orleans. Our location is the best of both worlds when it comes to being in the heart of the city and also allowing for a more low-key experience. We do regret to hear that you were not entirely pleased with your In-Room Dining experience. It's our goal to provide our guests with incredible meals whether in one of our restaurants or in your guest room. In the future, please be sure to alert our desk to any disappointments with your meal and we will do our best to remedy the situation. We are very pleased to hear your overall experience with our staff was outstanding. We make a point of employing people who truly care about hospitality and their guests, so we are glad that your experience was on point with that standard. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to New Orleans. Please let us know if we can help you plan your next trip.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

I had a great check-in experience (thank you Kim and Elizabeth) and the pre-arrivial emails from the concierge were timely and very hellpful. The staff is very friendly and helfpul and also greeting all guests with a smile. The hotel is in a good location on Canal with easy walking access to the French Quarter and other areas in NOLA.
Now the concerns - the rooms are dated and small. As others have noted the noises are a significant issue and I was even in a corner room but could hear my neighbors get up in the morning and arrive home late a night. A door shutting anywhere within about 5 rooms was sure to reverberate and actually in some cases shake the walls. The HVAC systems were also dated, hard to manage and the air quality was poor.
The food was fair to poor- I tried both room service and the new Canal Street Grill and was not impressed with the quality of the food in either experience (I had ordered the fruit plate which came with melon that was so unripe i had to eat with a steak knife and chew it like an apple and the pineapple was barely edible. Overall a great deal of effort needs to go into making the food better, but a few steps outside of the hotel and you have an amazing selection of restaurants and bars to satisfy any culinary interests

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Robert J
OpsManager70130, Director of Operations at JW Marriott New Orleans, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear Robert J,

Thanks for reviewing your recent stay. It sounds like you had a mostly positive experience, but not without a few issues. As you found, our service extends well beyond your arrival and departure, and we take pride in our attention to detail. These efforts are made possible by having the very best staff in all of New Orleans. Each of our trained, professional team members is committed to providing everything you need in an efficient and effective manner.

Unfortunately, not everything always goes according to plan. Whenever a guest experiences a problem--whether it's noise- or comfort-related, or something else entirely- we encourage him or her to contact us as soon as possible. More often than not, we can turn things around quickly and find a solution. In your case, we would have taken action to find you more satisfactory accommodations and cuisine. We know your time on the road is precious, and the last thing we want is to create any unnecessary stresses. Please accept our sincere apologies, and know that we'll do everything in our power to earn back your trust.

Jackson, MS
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I love staying here. It's right on Canal and close to everything we tend to visit. A couple of blocks to River and Casino, across the street from French Quarter, and great food in any direction. My last visit, just two weeks ago was the best. Ari, the bright smiling face at the reception desk was exceptional. Friendly is what I always get here. Rooms are spotless and comfortable. Spa products in bathroom are very nice. My only gripe would be the size of the bathroom but it will never be the reason for my not staying here. Always bustling during football season. Spa on premises and hot coffee from PJs right outside the door. Plenty of places for buying supplies nearby.
The bar offers friendly faces and conversation, along with great drinks. You really can't go wrong at JW Marriott New Orleans. We'll actually be back next week for three nights!

Room Tip: If possible, always ask for FQ/River view. Although the Marriott across the street may hamper the R...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
OpsManager70130, General Manager at JW Marriott New Orleans, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear kaldonia,

Thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay at the JW Marriott New Orleans. By now you've probably already returned for another stay, and we couldn't be happier to have you back. The beauty of repeat visits is that you really get to know the staff, and we make an effort to know you. With knowledge of your likes, dislikes, and preferences, we're able to better customize your stay and really deliver the exceptional service which the JW Marriott Brand is known for.

Your review included a number of our very finest features, including a location that's second to none, and a friendly, knowledgeable staff that you won't find anywhere else. I will be sure to pass along your compliments to Ari and others, as I'm sure they'll be pleased to know you enjoyed your stay.

Thanks again, and we'll see you soon.

Ithaca, New York
Reviewed 28 October 2013

My husband and I are on a month long trip through the south and when our travels brought us in range of New Orleans we decided to spend the night. From the moment we arrived the magic began. We were greeted by Steven at the front desk and the experience couldn't have been better. He made us feel so welcome and his recommendations were spot on. The hotel decor is beautiful, in a great location and the hotel has a very good fitness center. I didn't need anything more!

Tracy, California
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Overall, our stay at the JW Marriott was very enjoyable. Though the bathrooms were small and a bit awkward to maneuver in because of the door, the rooms were good size and comfortable. We had some very good service during our stay, from the front desk to house keeping to the hotel bar. Specifically, George our bartender was really great. We visited the hotel bar at least once or twice a day, and each time George was very friendly and kind. We enjoyed talking with him each visit and appreciated his great service!

• Stayed October 2013
OpsManager70130, General Manager at JW Marriott New Orleans, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Dear Abcdyz,

Thanks for your review. We love to hear from recent guests, and we're so glad to hear that your visit was enjoyable. Here at the JW Marriott New Orleans, we hang our hats on exceptional service, and always take great care to ensure each guest is treated to a memorable stay. I will be sure to let the entire staff, and George in particular, that their friendliness and professionalism were appreciated.

Though it sounds like everything went well, we always strive for perfection from check-in to checkout. I appreciate that you brought the bathroom layout issue to our attention. We're always looking for ways to improve our accommodations and offerings, and feedback like yours is a great help in that process.

Take care--we hope to see you again soon.

Managua, Managua, Nicaragua
Reviewed 25 October 2013

There has been so much talk about this phenomenal JW Marriot that we decided to book our NOLA stay there this passed mid October. First of all, upon arriving the bell boy was no where to be seen. when he finally did appear he was in a hurry and didn't help with our bags. we had to leave our rental car for two days, btw the price is $40 per day, which i think is extremely expensive since half a block form the hotel its $25 a night. that is a total ripoff! anyways, when we got to the front desk the concierge was very nice and gave us our key. when we arrived in our room we noticed we received a double room instead of a king which is what we paid for in advanced and reserved. when we called the front desk and explained the problem, they said they were going to look into it and call us back. we waited for around 45 minutes and never got a call back! after that we went out on the town and came back till late night. after that we never got a call back or even a message regarding our problem. other than that the room was fine, roomy and the beds were clean and comfy. the pillows were a bit too soft but ok to sleep in. Finally the worst part of my stay was that i sent a package to be delivered to the hotel. i called before hand to get the address and see if this was possible. it was. so i went ahead. and when my package was delivered, the hotel sent it back and now its been over two weeks and my package is lost. it was something really important to me and its a shame the hotel didn't give it importance.
To give the hotel some snaps...
One of my favorite things was the free water at the entrance..to that i thank you. i also tried the breakfast and it was also ok, not spectacular but worth the $20 bucks. i the location is the best part. a block away from bourbon, and to many shopping stores. if you manage to get a good deal and stay here i guess id recommend it, but if you pay list price head to the ritz carlton instead!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
OpsManager70130, Director of Operations at JW Marriott New Orleans, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Dear Agustina B.

Thank you for sharing your recent experience on Trip Advisor. The talk and buzz about our hotel that you mentioned is warranted, however, I regret to hear that we did not live up to what we are capable of. I apologize that we missed several opportunities to deliver true JW Marriott Service, that focuses on engaging with every guest and being responsive to every guest need. We will continue to strive to make every guest stay flawless. Our location is prime and I am pleased that you enjoyed the water at the entrance of the hotel and breakfast in Canal Street Grill. I would like to invite you back to our hotel, as I am sure we are capable of meeting your expectations and exceeding them.