“Great stay At JW”

Ranked #60 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
Florida
“Great stay At JW”
Reviewed 19 November 2009

Everything you would expect of a hotel of this class. We stayed here November 14th for a weekend getaway and everything went like clockwork. This was our 3rd stay at the JW and never had any major problems. Check In was prompt and courteous. We were even able to check in early at 11am at no additional charge.
The room was nice and clean and included a great city view.( Which is epecially beautiful when lit up in the evening). However,there seems to have been a LACK OF HOT water in the shower. (Lukewarm at best) The room was exceptionally quite. We have been to other hotels in NO where the walls between rooms are quite thin and hallways filled with late night revelers. No problem here.
Parking is $32 which is par for New Orleans. The valet was prompt and had our vehicle waiting for us! Elsewhere, in New Orleans you call the valet wait 10 minutes in your room and when go downstair and try to retrieve your vehicle it's still not ready.
The location is actually perfect. The French Quarter is directly across the street with Bourbon St closeby. You can party all night in the Quarter then cross the street to your quite hotel room No blaring music ,no drunks,nada. Directly behing the Hotel is the " business district" but there are great restaurants and bars in that area also.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (502)
  • Indonesian first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 15 November 2009

The hotel and staff are nice. The bell staff are superb. We had two rooms for 4 nights. Two nights I came back to wash my hair and take a shower and had no shampoo in my room. To me, at a hotel of this quality, there is no excuse for this. By this point, the solved my problem by bringing me a bag of 5 shampoos. The concierge was basically non-existent. When I travel for pleasure, I am accustom to using the service of the concierge. There was a note continually to go to the front desk for questions. I did see someone at the desk the morning we were leaving and we did make our reservations on our own. There were no brochures available for us to look at so it was a hassel for us to continue to stand in line at the front desk while people were checking in to inquire about certain attractions to have them track down a brochure etc. I just don't expect this at a JW Marriott.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sandlovers
Atlanta
Reviewed 5 November 2009

I actually thought this hotel was pretty decent.

The Plus's -
Gym was good
Room was nice
Bed, etc was great
Location was fine - but is a bit of a hike into the Qtr - esp late at night.

Minus -
Seriously... you should be able to expect hot water for your showers.
Room staff forgot to leave coffees, etc...

If you need a warm shower, then you will be disappointed. Forget hot. Most of ours were cool at best

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Vestavia Hills, Alabama
Reviewed 31 October 2009

I travel to New Orleans frequently. I often priceline my hotel if it's just for a one night stay. I was placed in the JW on this trip. It was my fault for not checking but i did confuse it with the original Marriott on Canal street nearer to the River. I went there first and they were very helpful in redirecting me to the JW which is also on Canal. They gave me clear instructions as to where to turn to get to the front entrance which is in the back and not on Canal. I had flown in and gone out with friends prior to checking in. It was about 1130 when I arrived at the JW. It seemed like the right place, the auto entrance is on the back of the hotel in a more isolated back street. There was no one around except for someone who could have been a street person sitting on a bench. (I wasn't going to give them my car.) I waited for about 15 minutes and no one arrived. There seemed to be no activity in the lobby making me question whether I had pulled up to the right place. I circled the block and couldn't find another entrance except for the one fronting canal. I left the car and walked in, (as a single woman a little disconcerting as it was late and NOONE was around. I walked to what should be the front desk and noone came out. Questioning if there was another front desk, I walked into the hotel and to the first floor. Again noone. I came out to the lobby again and then saw someone. He told me that this was the front desk and he was just a guest so couldn't tell me more. I waited for a while, and probably 15 minutes later someone came out. I assumed he was the front desk clerk. He didn't tell me who he was but later I realized he was a security guard. He then called someone and another 5 to 10 minutes later the front desk clerk came out. He then called the valet who also wasn't where he should be, and had my car parked. This was 45 minutes after I initially pulled in. Although this is poor service, what was MOST concerning was no one was watching their front lobby. Anyone or any group of people could have just wandered in. In addition, there was not one apology for the whole experience when I explained what happened in a very calm manner. The next day I let a manager know, who seemed a bit responsive but I really didn't get the sense that anyone realized how dangerous a situation they potentially had. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. I'm not afraid of New Orleans as a city but you have to be careful as anywhere. This hotel has to get a better group of people at night and execute whatever security plan they have.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
4 Thank Almond66
Calgary,AB
Reviewed 26 October 2009

Went to NOLA for a week Oct 20-25/09. Great City! Great fun - hotel was pretty good but just a few minor details they could work on and it would be just perfect. They need to vaccum their rooms a little more frequently and thoroughly. We upgraded to a plush bed that was great, the room location was good and the room size was definitely adequate. Sometimes housekeeping gave us water (bottled) and some days not. There is an in room coffee maker that is quite convenient. We did get an mini bar charge of six dollars when we checked out - which was an error - but at 5:00 am check out - it was a minor error and we could not be bothered arguing. Didn't use any of the ammenities (pool/salon/restaurant) as there are sooo many wonderful places to eat in NOLA (like NOLA!). Service is friendly just about everywhere. Everyone on the street greets you all day long, no matter where you're at. The hotel is block away from an IHOP - which comes in handy if you're looking to eat big and walk it off! Which is what you'll do. I recommend the walk through the Garden District - take the street car from St. Charles to Jackson and get off and walk around the beautiful homes. Walk back to the hotel - not too far (as long as you are comfortable walking and able) the cobblestones and some of the brick walks get to be a bit ankle wrenching. Walk along the Mississippi and take the Natchez steam boat - one evening ate at K-Paul's - good food - rich - but service is very cool compared to NOLA (Emeril Lagasse's) where you are actually "waited" upon - make reservations for both before going - they are very busy. Dress is pretty casual for most places or you can dress up if you like. Bourbon street is close to the hotel and is just unbelievable until you see if for yourself. Really nice antique shops if you like that thing close by. Shopping is a little sparse but oh well! Like I said there are some great restaurants all over to pick from - don't limit yourself if you can. The pralines are great everywhere! Didn't do Cafe du Monde because it was always busy and didn't want to wait in line. Really like NOLA and would go back to visit anytime. Great city, great people and JW Marriott hotel is pretty good for the money.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Pompano Beach, Florida
Reviewed 21 October 2009

I stayed at this hotel for an industry conference that took place this past weekend. It's a wonderful hotel, beautiful, extraordinary staff who are very helpful in every way. They know you by name which shows outstanding training. I will go to this hotel again. There were concerns however. At such an expensive hotel I was surprised to realize that there was no free internet in the rooms; it was $14.95 per day. Additionally, in the fitness center the bench press machine was broken (the foundation to a man's workout) during my entire stay. And finally, just across the Don Shula Restaurant which is excellent there are display windows with sample bottles of wine and one that reads "Reserved for Don Shula" that is filthy. It even had cobwebs. Someone just needs to clean it. Overall however this is a great hotel in which I would return.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
Texas
Reviewed 18 October 2009

My husband and I stayed for three nights. The room was perfect. From the 28th floor, we could see the river and French Quarter. I was disappointed my room did not have a hairdryer.
The concierge was very helpful with directions and booking tours. We will stay here again on our next visit.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family