“Great Location and Great Service”

JW Marriott New Orleans
Ranked #68 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 29 September 2010

While in New Orleans for the Atlanta Falcons - New Orleans Saints game we booked a deluxe corner room for two nights. I typically try to stay in 5 star or more boutique style hotel but I was traveling with a group who had opted to stay here.
Upon arrival we were greeted with very warm customer service. Check in time took less than 5 minutes. The room size was a little small but served it's purpose. The bed was very comfortable. The mini fridge has a disclaimer on the door stating that it only chills items and it not designed to get items "cold". So please do not think you will be able to store leftovers or your personal beverages in the refrigerator. However one of the couples traveling with us requested a mini fridge be brought to their room and it was quickly brought up and this fridge kept items extremely cold. So just know that this is an option.
Please note 24 room service ends at 12 midnight. We did order room service for breakfast and it took less than 30 minutes and it was delicious and very plentiful.
The hotel was located 2 blocks from Bourbon street and approx a 4 - 5 minute walk to Harrah's Casino and Riverwalk.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,423)

Reviewed 27 September 2010

Traveled here for five days on the first leg of our honeymoon, absolutely loved new Orleans ! The French quarter is a bit of a crazy place, i don't think i would have liked to stay down on bourbon street or any of the parallel streets , unless i was just there for 1 or 2 days to soak it up . This hotel was perfect , you come out the front door , cross the main street and you can head down bourbon , 1 minute max.
When we checked in and told them we were there for our honeymoon , the lovely girl at the desk said she would have an even nicer corner suite upgrade ready for us the next day ! And guess what , the next day she did !! Although there was nothing wrong with the first room but this was bigger and had a great corner view of the city & the Mississippi .
The have deluxe goose or down feathered bedding and they fluff them up in the evenings , bliss after a hard day of partying or sightseeing . Well worth the money for the hotel , id nearly pay more :) ps its no smoking but many guests , including me , went down to there side entrance to smoke , where it was safe to be out on the street caus the many bell boys were there , who always opened the door for me

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2010

If you go to bedbugregistry.com you'll see this hotel is listed as having bedbugs on several different ocassions. See for yourself. I attached photos of the 18 bites she woke up with. We spent the week at the urgent treatment center, dealing with disrespectful staff, and having to get rid of our belongings. I'm still disguisted with their desire to keep the incident hidden from other customers only. They accused my coworker of lying about the bites only to have another traveler capture a bed bug in his bed a week later.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
16  Thank mekamax
Reviewed 23 September 2010

I stayed here for a weekend after a Saints game. I've stayed at several hotels in New Orleans, being a resident of LA and I absolutely underestimated this hotel. It is right off of Canal ST, about a block away from Burbon where all the action is. Its much nicer than the regular Marriott across the street. Upon entering the room, you feel like royalty. We had a corner suite and it was absolutely beautiful views of the city. Very nice decor and furnishings, clean sheets, and soft robes. Even a nice flat screen. The shower was much nicer than expected. The fridge and room came stocked with goodies, with an up-charge of course but thats to be expected. The only downside was that there was no microwave. Weird. We ordered room service for breakfast and dinner two nights and they have an amazing chef in the kitchen! We stayed in the room most of the Saturday we were there so housekeeping did not come by. When we called the front desk to order towels, they were very apologetic and even sent us a note about the lack of towels. Very great staff and very beautiful hotel. Will be staying here from now on.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 September 2010

Pulled up on canal st in rental car, to see a sign saying to drive 2 blocks and come back to rear of building for parking and check in. We did so to find it the only parkingis valet and it is 32.00 per night! Then after we got our own luggage out of trunk and carrie it into small lobby, there was no one to assist usto our room. It was only 8:30PM so don't know why there was not a bell man. We got to our room on the 24th floor, and our room was nice enough but laid out terribly. The bathroom door touched the toilet when being opened or closed, and there were no shelves to put toiletries on. One very small countertop surface that also held a stand style make up mirror, so there was no room. In the room itself, to get to the drawer, you had to open a cabinet door that touched the end of the bed when opening, so again, very strange layout. While trying to unpack had to close cabinet door to be able to get to closet. No big deal but frustrating. We went out to explore a little while. Came back to room and went to bed. At 5:00 AM I heard a tapping on my door...got up and looked out, and there was a guy cleaning the doorframes of all the rooms. Are you kidding me? 5AM???? Went back to bed and at 8:00AM I heard a noise at the door again. Housekeeping had key in door and was walking in. Good thing I had top latch secured. Noise in hallway all night both nights made for a very long 2 nights without much sleep.
We used the pool on the 8th floor on Friday afternoon. There was one other couple there and when the woman got out of the pool, she walked 2 steps then slipped on the very slippery tile surrounding the pool and landed flat on her back. Her husband went to get ice for her, but I was amazed that no one from the staff came to check on her. When I got out of pool, I too almost fell. Wrong type of tile to be around a pool.
Location is great, and hotel is very clean, but I think I will look elsewhere for my next trip to the Big Easy. My last few stays to Marriott properties seems to be going downhill

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank paraclete58
Reviewed 16 September 2010

I have been coming to this hotel for many years. I remember when it used to be a Le Meridien. Then it was the Grand Hotel, now the JW. I love the location. It is not IN the Quarter so you can get some sleep at night, but you can be IN the Quarter in two minutes walking. Also, all other highlights I want to visit in New Orleans are in walking distance. The hotel itself is probably four star, a boutique hotel. The rooms I get are always nice and my only complain could be that they don´t have a minibar that I can use as refrigerator. Complimentary bottles of water, ok pool, friendly staff, I can recommend it. I had one disappointing experience recently: I called the concierge and asked about where the free walking tour starts in the city and when. I could have googled it within a minute (if the room had free internet). But it took the concierge (it was the bell boy) over an hour and three calls to my room to get me the info, which proved to be totally wrong. That´s not to their normal standard. Also, they try to sell the tours at the desk, that they get a cut from (local operators). I insisted of using Grayline but they would not give me their brochure. I also asked for the next Bank of America ATM and was sent to the Mariott across the street, which did not have one. There is free wifi in the lobby. I wish they will soon put it in all the rooms. Also, the TV variety could have been bigger. The Shula steakhouse was really very expensive. Did not eat there but don´t understand why other people do. It is way overpriced.
I will definitely come back though on my next stay in the Big Easy. I payed 116 dollars a night for a twin room.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 September 2010

As usual, the Marriott didn't disappoint. The room, a corner with a view of the river, was lovely. Spotlessly clean and inviting, the decor is soothing, modern with just that hint of New Orleans in the art. Do I need to mention the pillows and linens? If you don't know what I mean, please go stay!
Isabelle - concierge extraordinair - made sure that our anniversary was unforgettable. The chocolates and champagne were over the top! What an asset to the hotel and to New Orleans!
The location of the JW couldn't be much more pleasing - a short walk to the Quarter, the Roosevelt Hotel (for their incomparable Sazerac Cocktail) just up the street, the trolley to the Garden Dist. right out the front door.
Lovely stay, lovely hotel, lovely service. Will return!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple