“Awful”

New Orleans Guest House
Ranked #56 of 141 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 January 2014

The management at New Orleans Guest House doesn't seem to care about customers at all. They're rude and condescending, even when correcting their mistakes (e.g. no toilet paper in the room), or asking a simple question (like "what time does breakfast close?"). Housekeeping is vitually non-existent. All they do is make the bed and fold the towels. The towels are so old and scratchy I couldn't tell if they were given us new towels or just folding up our old ones. They never vacuumed during our stay, not even to remove dead insects. They never once replaced the toilet paper, soap, or any other basic necessity.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Murs2014

Reviewed 13 November 2013

The previous reviews are glowing, so it must be the new management. We were charged extra for double room occupancy presumably for the "continental breakfast" which consisted of packaged pastries (honey buns) and Otis Myer packaged muffins. There were stale croissants as well. All were served on the very dirty patio where the owners also had out cat food and garbage.

The room was in ill repair, the electrical outlets did not even work. There were holes in the towels and bed spread. The sheets were like sand paper and the mattress was very old and uncomfortable. The shower curtain, shower curtain rod, and shower curtain rings were dirty. They do not have central air and heat so the rooms have window units. The carpet is stained and frayed.

Finally, DO NOT PAY $20 to park a day. There's free parking on the street right in front of the hotel.

The location is pretty good, but the rest of it feels like a rip off.

• Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank Whitneynoelle
Reviewed 23 September 2013

My wife and I stayed here because it was pretty cheap, decent location and good reviews. Upon arrival, we learned that the front desk manager had just started that day and the original owners sold that morning to a competitor. So needless to say, the front desk was attendant was new. We stayed in Room 5, upstairs with a balcony. The room was fine, bed was comfortable, had a flat screen TV with decent reception. The bathroom was dated and not very clean. The toilet had dry urine on the back and the bathtub had “stuff” that eventually found its way down the drain. My wife wanted me to say that the bed skirt was ripped that did not bother me. The breakfast out in the court yard was very good, hot croissant and fresh fruit with juice of juice, coffee, milk etc. The lady who prepped it was very nice. The location is ok, it gets a little “shady” or ghetto late at night, but this is NOLA so I can’t say I found that surprising. On the other hand, it is far enough out that you don’t have to listen to Bourbon Street but can easily walk the few blocks to it. It is also a 2 minute drive from Frenchman. Last, it seemed to me that the manager allowed his friends to wallow around, one of them sat on the stairs as we came down and did not get up and move, that kind of ticked me off, but some people are lazy.

I would not say “don’t stay here”, but would caution anyone that you get what you pay for. We did not feel like paying $200 for a hotel and this suited us just fine.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank roxanneandrob
Reviewed 1 July 2013

It was a quaint place with a beautiful garden. 14 bedrooms and we stayed in Rm. 5 which has a balcony. The service was personal. The owner had some free time to orient us more of NOLA especially about the Mardi Gras. It worth it to stay there as it is just walking distance to most important places especially my favorite, Jackson Square (St. Louis Cathedral).

Room Tip: Room No. 5 because it has a balcony wherein you can also see some mini-hotels
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Based on the glowing reviews on this site, I stayed here for a 3 nights a few weeks ago.
The staff was very nice and helpful, but this place needs a good cleaning. I will never understand why more care is not taken... When I walked in, I was greeted by a cockroach which pretty much ruined my stay from the start. Maybe it was just my room, but the shades, the baseboards, everything just needed cleaning. It doesn't cost much to clean, just get off the couch and get it done. No way I would ever stay here again. It is very close to the Quarter, and parking if free.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 May 2013

My husband and I were looking for someplace 1) quiet 2) with a good bed 3) in a convenient location that had a least a little charm and character. New Orleans had all three qualities listed above, plus plenty of charm and character, with a light but tasty croissant & fresh fruit breakfast in a delightful courtyard each morning, complete with fresh flowers on every table. Loved the antique furnishings as well as the occasional company of cats Stella & Stanley. Hosts Alvin & Ray as well as the night-time attendants were very personable and helpful. We would definitely stay here again if we return to NOLA. As is the case with many New Orleans structures there are a few repairs needed if the building is going to last for a while, but that would be the only suggestion I'd offer. Thank you for a wonderful stay, Alvin & gang!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2013

We stayed over the Easter weekend 2013 and had a delightful time. There is 24 hour staffing so when we came home late at night after our visit to Bourbon Street there was a friendly face to greet us. Breakfast was in the pink courtyard with charming flowers and the resident gargoyles festooned with beads. Classical music along with pink flamingoes- a great start to anyone's day! Alvin always kept our coffee cups full and was quick with suggestions for tours and dining out. We stayed in room 8 as my husband is 6" 4 and needed the king sized bed. The rooms are eclectic and full of whimsy. Everything is within walking distance and we enjoyed our strolls through the French Quarter to all the sights. We loved this little pink guesthouse and already are planning our next stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple