“Courtyard View?”

Place d'Armes Hotel
Ranked #29 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 4 November 2007

I had booked this hotel 4 months in advance asking for a courtyard view. My "courtyard view" looks at a wall. I went to the front desk, and they told me TECHNICALLY that is a courtyard view. If you have to use the word "technically", something is wrong. They wouldn't give any type of credit for the room. I don't know who is writing these reveiws, but every time I walked through the lobby, someone was complaining and wanting to switch their rooms. The beds are incredibly uncomfortable - you can feel the springs, and the rooms are musty. I love the location, but I will NOT stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank NYNY12345
Write a ReviewReviews (2,384)

Reviewed 2 November 2007

This hotel was wonderful. It is in the French Quarter right at Jackson Square and beside St Louis Cathedral. It has a great setup with the inner court yard and a pool. we found it very clean and the staff friendly. They were able to make tour arrangements and even go on-line to confirm plane reservations. The rooms we saw were quite large, and ours looked out onto the street but was still quiet. Some of the rooms are windowless, which is great for sleeping in, but not to my taste. Continental breakfast had fresh croissants and buns.
New Orleans is still hurting from Katrina, but with in the Quarter there was almost no sign of the damage. The sign we saw was in the conversations with the locals who all had their own personal stories of horror and destruction. They are trying hard to overcome the past, and seem to be doing a great job of it. Touism is down, so in fact there are lots of good travel deals which make this asuperb time to travel to this historical city

1  Thank Tuscan007
Reviewed 23 October 2007

We picked this hotel based on the reviews we had seen and its location. If you want to stay in the heart of the French Quarter, then this is the place. You can walk to almost everything. It is only 1/2 block from Jackson Square, 1.5 blocks from the Cafe du Monde, and about two-three blocks from Bourbon Street.

The room we had was on the second floor and faced Chartres St. Unfortuntely, the only access to the room involved a climb up two flights of stairs - no elevator access. The room was spacious, but a little dark; the lighting left something to be desired. Our room had a lovely fireplace with an ornate wood mantle. The king bed was the size of a footbal field! The room was releatively clean, but there were some maintenance issues that need to be addressed - nothing significant, though. For example, the door to our room had a pretty good size gap between the door and jamb that allowed the mosquitoes easy access to a meal. There was a balcony that could use an application of stain or sealant on the wood floor. It could be accessed through a huge window on the landing outside our room. The hotel has a beautiful, but small, courtyard that always seem to attract a few folks lounging at tables, or sitting around the postage stamp sized pool.

The staff was OK, but only one person was extremely pleasant and he worked in the garage. The front desk staff, bellman, and breakfast room attendant weren't UNfriendly, they just didn't seem to exude much New Orleans hospitality.

After we got home, we found out that the Place d"Armes Hotel is considered one of the most haunted of all of the NO hotels. Best of all, the room we stayed in (223) was suppose to be the epicenter of the hauntings!! We saw and heard absolutely nothing out of the ordinary (darn it). The story is that the building formerly in that location was a boys' school in which there was a fire. A number of students and the headmaster were killed. The haunting is suppose to consist of the sound of children playing in the courtyard and/or the sighting of an older gentleman with a white beard who disappears when spoken to or followed. Other folks claim to have taken pictures with blue "fog" in them.

Overall, I would recommend the hotel if you want a French Quarter experience. There is enough atmosphere and charm to offset the older facilities.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family
4  Thank Paperclip1951
Reviewed 23 October 2007

If you want to be in the heart of the historic French Quarter, there is no way to improve on the location of this hotel. Just check a Google map and you'll see what I mean.

The courtyard is also a lovely example of a historic French Quarter staple. This is the real thing, folks, not some Disneyesque approximation. The hotel has two courtyards. The larger one has a pool, but both are beautiful and relaxing. You can't leave the hotel without walking past the pool, so don't feel as though you have to ask for a "pool view."

The hotel comprises several old buildings around two small courtyards. From the reviews I've read here, I get the feeling that the rooms themselves are hit-or-miss. Even though I booked months in advance, I was given a first floor room that, while clean, was a little worn down. It looked like it had last been remodeled in the '60's or '70's. Water pressure and temperature were fine. Biggest disappointment: the "exposed brick" wall was painted brick, which really diminished the charm of staying in an historic property.

If I ran the hotel I would refurbish the rooms and increase the rates to recoup the costs. If I were staying at the hotel again I'd ask to see other available rooms before accepting one.

I would not be afraid to stay at the hotel again. Parking, at $22 a night is a decent deal for the Quarter, and I do believe the staff is trying to provide a good experience.

3  Thank David_and_Allison
Reviewed 15 October 2007

Do not stay in a lower level room especially room 108 near the pool/courtyard! Horrible mold smell/problem. We had to move to the 4th level to a room with no courtyard view, but not being around the mold was worth not having a view of the courtyard if you can image that. The manager was only able to credit us $20 a night, which was more then if we would have booked a 4th level room with no view prior. Great Location. Beautiful grounds. The room we ended up staying in was decent. Would stay again because of the location and price, but I would check the from 1st before paying.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank riishthrush
Reviewed 11 October 2007

Ah, New Orleans

New Orleans is back baby ! The staff and rooms at the Place De Armes are great. Location is super......Great cental spot for all of your French Quarter activies.

Kudos to the managment.

Basinger family.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank buck9
Reviewed 9 October 2007

We just got back from staying three days at the Place d'Armes Hotel and everything was wonderful. The hotel is just like, if not better, than before Katrina. We go to New Orleans every year and always stay at this hotel if there is availability. The rooms are alway nice and clean and the courtyards are beautiful. The continental breakfast is delicious. We will stay here again and again.

The Basingers from Georgia