“nice french quarter hotel”

Place d'Armes Hotel
Ranked #34 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
Watertown, New York
“nice french quarter hotel”
Reviewed 17 February 2008

very nice french quarter hotel in a great location. lots of charm and character. had a courtyard room that was lovely and the courtyard is really beautiful. housekeeping was great . we asked for extra towels and coffee each day and they always left far more than we needed. the complimentary breakfast was good but since i am unable to eat bread or rolls i usually went out to a resturant. staff is very friendly and helpful. i would and will be staying there again. my only warning is the courtyard can be a bit noisy in the night with people coming and going late but it's new orleans.........

• Liked — location, character, history
  • Disliked — need better selection for complimentary breakfast
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (646)
mississippi
Reviewed 16 February 2008

We chose the Place d'Armes for its convenient location to the french quarter. It was within walking distance of many popular points of interest. The valet and desk clerk were very helpful. We were allowed to use the courtyard for a small wedding. We had several special requests to which the staff was very accomodating. We spent some time walking through the french quarter and were pleased to find it very inviting and much cleaner than several years ago.We enjoyed our stay and hope to visit again.

Stayed February 2008
Forest Park, Illinois
Reviewed 16 February 2008

What a great location, right on Jackson Square! A block to Cafe du Monde and the riverfront, all of the French Quarter right outside the door.
There's a lovely, quiet courtyard, complete with fountains. A wonderful spot to eat your (free) breakfast or have a late night drink (as I did!).
I did experience some noise from the street, trucks going by, pedestrians, etc. but it wasn't too bad. You can probably avoid that by getting one of the cheaper "interior" rooms that don't have windows.
I'm not the type to go to New Orleans and then sit in my room rating the wallpaper and furnishings, but if you are, you might want to opt for the Ritz or the Westin. The Place d'Armes does have a rather worn look, but for $58 a night at this location, I was MORE than satisfied.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise from street
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank sushiactress
Iowa City, IA
Reviewed 12 February 2008

If you are looking for sleek and modern then go stay on Canal street at one of the high rises. I am from Iowa City and have probably booked 70 nights of rooms there (two rooms at a time) over the past eight years. WE LOVE IT and wouldn't stay anywhere else. It is what New Orleans is about.

There isn't a more pleasant staff to work with, the location is everything and the courtyards are beautiful. We always spring for a courtyard room but if money is an issue than get an interior room and walk out to enjoy the patio area.

I only wish they employed a frequent user punch card in order to get some comps once in awhile!!!!

Book freely and without hesitation and no I do not work there! I am simply a teacher in Iowa that loves the flavor of the BIg Easy.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
Boulder, CO.
Reviewed 4 February 2008

I had a wonderful five night-stay at the Place D'Armes. The courtyard is quintessenially New Orleans. It was too cold and rainy while I was there to really enjoy the courtyard, but it was beautiful and one of the best aspects of the hotel. My room was huge and clean. The continental breakfast was so-so, but one of the best cups of coffee I've ever had. And you can't beat the location.

The hotel is not sleek or modern, nor is it for the young and hip who are looking for a party. I would recommend it to couples looking for a retreat from the commotion of Bourbon St. and families because of the courtyard and pool.

• Liked — the location and courtyard
  • Disliked — typical hotel bedding
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
Canada
Reviewed 31 January 2008

I just got home last night from a 6-night stay at Place D'Armes. I picked this hotel mainly because of the reviews here on tripadvisor and I would definitely stay here again. The location is perfect, you are in the middle of the French Quarter, steps away from Jackson Square, Cafe Du Monde and the French Market or head in the opposite direction and you're at Royal or Bourbon Streets.

I was in room 301, which overlooks St. Ann St. and has a big, private balcony. When I was awakened at 4:30 am on the first morning, by the garbage trucks on St. Ann, I seriously considered trying to change rooms (garbage pickup is most mornings at this time). But I'm glad I stayed because I got to watch two Mardi Gras parades walk down St. Ann St., right by my balcony as well as people watch and enjoy music from the quarter while sitting outside. The courtyard rooms might be quieter but I don't think they would be nearly as entertaining.

A few notes/observations:

Hotel - beautiful, old, interesting inside and out.
Room - loved it - good size, everything worked and was clean enough, bed was comfortable, balcony was great!
Staff - all were good, some were great.
Breakfast - well, it's free. ;-}

Transportation from airport - hotel - airport.
I took the shuttle from the airport to the hotel. It was $15 one way and the van carried 10 people. There are 2 lines - one for the French Quarter and one for the CBD - make sure you wait in the right line. It's easy to spot the booth where you buy your ticket - very close to where you pick up your luggage.

I took a taxi from the hotel to the airport. It was $28 + $1 (plus tip). I was lucky to get a great driver who told me his personal experiences with Mardi Gras, Katrina, etc.

Tours I did -
French Quarter/History tour - Free from the National Park Services. Meet at the Jean Lafitte Visitor Centre at 419 Decatur St. They give out 25 passes, starting at 9:00 for the 9:30 tour so try to get there by 9 at the latest. The tour is interesting and covers a lot of history of the Mississippi Delta, New Orleans and the French Quarter - it was good but we didn't explore as much of the FQ as I had hoped to.

Cemetery/Voodoo tour by Historic New Orleans Tours. $15 There were only 3 of us on this tour (I think the tour goes no matter how many people show up). The small group was great because Greg, our tour guide, was able to give us a more personalized tour and answer all of our questions - whether they related to the tour or not.

Streetcars - I bought a 1-day transit pass for $5 and used it to ride all three streetcar lines from end to end. You get to see some very different parts of town this way and the streetcars are wonderful.

Other info -

Visitor information Office - St. Ann St., Jackson Square
Post Office - N. Peters St. - close to Iberville St.
Riverwalk - mall on the riverfront - lots of touristy shops. Food court is on the third floor and it's a good place to grab something to eat or drink and watch what's happening on the Mississippi - you can go outside. There is also a Cafe Du Monde here so you can try those famous beignets - warning - you are going to get that icing sugar all over you!
Canal Place - higher end shopping mall.
Harrah's - too loud, too hot, too smoky.

Quick takeaway food places -
Central Grocery - 923 Decatur St. I went here the first day to get one of their muffulettas. I ordered HALF of one and ate half there and took the other half home for dinner. Delicious!
Verti Marte - 1201 Royal St. Tiny store with a lot of great takeaway choices for snacks or meals.
Rouse's Market - 701 Royal St. Small grocery store with all the basics.

Two restaurants I tried and liked were Cafe Maspero - 601 Decatur St. and Cafe Pontalba 546 St. Peter St./Jackson Square. Both had good food and a relaxed, friendly atmosphere.

My favourite street was Royal Street. It is filled with art and antique shops, cafes, musicians and street performers.

Favourite places to just stop and sit for a while - Jackson Square, there is always something to listen to or look at here. I also liked to go down to the river and sit on one of the benches. The Moon Walk along the riverfront is a nice way to get to different places like Riverwalk, the Aquarium, Imax theatre, etc. instead of walking through town.

This was my first trip to New Orleans and it is going to take me a few weeks to digest and process everything I saw, heard and experienced. I went on my own and wouldn't hesitate to tell anyone that they should experience this city at least once. I didn't do a lot of the "typical" things like nights on Bourbon Street or dining at the more famous restaurants or take a lot of tours. My plan was to see New Orleans and absorb the atmosphere of this city in a way that worked for me. It's such a unique city, full of contrasts, I'm glad I finally got to experience NOLA for myself.

• Liked — Location, atmsophere.
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled solo
4 Thank sukiro
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 27 January 2008

I just stayed here with a friend last weekend. This was my second stay at this hotel but will not be my last. We arrived back in New Orleans from a 5 day cruise early Thursday morning and took a cab to the hotel. It was probably around 10 AM and because check-in is at 4 our rooms were not ready. We were advised to return around 2 or 2:30. We left our bags with the bellhop, who locked them up for us and we walked around the Quarter, the Casino, and the Riverwalk mall. We got back around the time they advised but the rooms were not ready yet so we went back out. When we returned our friends from Tampa had arrived and our room was ready but theirs was not yet so we all went to our room and shortly after that their room was ready. I don't fault the hotel for this because we were early and apparently they were fully booked so it was fine.

The front desk personnel have always been friendly and helpful and this stay was no exception. The courtyard is very nice, but this being winter it did not get much use, at least from us. We had booked interior rooms, which do not have a window, because we don't spend much time in the room anyway so a view is not necessary. It might be a problem if you are claustrophobic but it was fine. The rooms are very clean, sorry forgot to take pictures, though ours had a tiny bit of a musty odor when we arrived but it either went away the next day or I got used to it, it wasn't that noticeable anyway. The bathroom was very clean as well, I always look their first, because if the bathroom is clean you know the room is taken care of.

The location of the hotel is perfect, especially if you plan to head to the gay bars, as the main ones in the quarter are a block and a half away. It's a perfect location though for sightseeing and just enjoying the ambiance of the Quarter. It's just a few blocks from St. Louis Cathedral, the French Market, and Cafe Du Monde. The location really can't be beat.

I did not realize the hotel was haunted until my friend sent me an email with some reviews from here as well as another site which explained the story behind it's haunting. I was glad to read that the ghosts are not mischievous or mean but mostly children who perished in a fire when the location was a school. I believe we might have encounter at least one of the children in our room. We didn't see or hear anything, but my cell phone which I turned off while I was charging it, inexplicably turned on. I turned it off again and about five minutes later it came back on. Once again I turned it off and again it turned back on. I left it on and it started making a beeping noise as if I were plugging it in or unplugging it. That part may be because the outlets at the hotel were a little loose so that may have an explanation but after I kindly asked them to stop playing so my phone could charge that stopped as well. And when I turned the phone off it did not come back on. So, I believe one or more of the children were playing with my phone. I thought I would be scared, but it was actually amusing. By the way, someone here mentioned flickering lights that they thought was a ghost but when they tightened the bulbs it stopped,, we were looking for this to happen so we might get a laugh out of it and as we were waiting to be checked in we noticed a flickering light in the lobby and my friend went up to it and in fact the bulb was loose so he tightened it. We did get a kick out of that.

The TV picture was a little off as far as the color goes but there were a lot of channels and we didn't go to New Orleans to watch TV anyway.

Overall a very enjoyable stay and we'll definitely be back. I recommend this hotel without hesitation.

• Liked — Location and Cleanliness
  • Disliked — The pillows
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with friends