“Never Again!”

Ranked #35 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
Camden
“Never Again!”
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Stayed two nights August 16& 17, 2012. Desk clerks were rude, hardly ever spoke to us. Had to wait 3 hours for our room to be ready. Hotel was very rustic and courtyard was beautiful. The cleaning staff was very nice. Good location, but just felt like they need some customer service training.

Room Tip: Rooms on second floor very nice and quiet
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Jimmie H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (646)
Huntington, West Virginia
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights during 4th of July week, and absolutely loved it!

We had a balcony room over-looking St. Ann Street with 2 double beds. The room itself was very spacious, and the balcony was huge! The bathroom was a bit small, but that was no big deal. Our room was right next to the elevator, but we never heard a single noise from it.

As everyone else has said, the location cannot be beat.

The breakfast is nothing special, but with all of the great food in New Orleans, who needs hotel food?

I had mentioned when I booked the room (7 months in advance) that my friend and I were celebrating our birthdays...I won't say WHICH one.... When we checked in they asked who was having the birthday, and we told them that it was in between each of ours. When we returned to the room the first night, there was a chilled bottle of champagne in our room! We didn't need anything more to drink that night, so we put it in our fridge, and got OJ the next morning and made mimosas. This was such a nice touch!

As others have said, the front desk staff could be a little friendlier, but when I mentioned on our way out the second day that our television was making a strange noise, she did joke that maybe it was one of the ghosts. When we returned, the t.v. was fixed, but I think that it was maintenence who took care of it quickly, rather than a ghost...

Also, we had requested the fridge and expected to have to pay an additional fee for it, but there was none on our bill. Don't know if it was an oversight, but we didn't even notice until after we had left, so I didn't ask.

My husband and I will be retruning to New Orleans in a couple of years for a conference, and I plan to add a few nights before or after at Place d'Armes!! Maybe next time we'll get to experience one of the ghosts!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank joanskid
Reviewed 18 August 2012

I've stayed at this hotel twice now and I'm convinced its the only place I'd want to stay in Nola. Off a small side street, and literally two blocks from Bourbon street and right on Jackson square. You pay a bit to park there but its worth it since you're so close to everything, you can walk. Quaint hotel, nice rooms, and great service for an incredibly reasonable price...you can't beat it.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank ltaylor03
New Jersey
Reviewed 17 August 2012

I recently stay at the Place d’Armes because the first choice was completely booked.
SERVICE. Let me start by saying that this hotel is noticeably understaffed at any given time. They only have one person carrying the guests’ belongings to the room in the day, and one in the evening. We had to wait for our luggage for over ten minutes, and then we called the front desk and had to wait some more. The woman ended up carrying it (can’t remember her name) was extremely apologetic and super helpful (a total opposite from the two African American women at the front desk, who had a very unfriendly demeanor). She later helped us with the broken safe. The middle aged woman who checked us out was also very matter-of-fact but slightly friendlier and did not treat us as if she did not want us there. I hate to describe people like this, but none of them introduced themselves so I have no other way of making it obvious.
HOTEL GROUNDS. If you go to New Orleans you must understand that you will only use the hotel to rest and to change. If you want a resort, or to spend the entire day at the pool, you are going to the wrong area, period. This hotel has a very cozy old style, and the pool is small. I noticed the first day there was some strange white foam on the surface and decided not to get in until they cleaned it, which happened the next morning.
The bed was too small for me. Being 6’2 tall, I had to sleep across the bed to be able to fit in it and still woke up with a sore neck from the effort. It only took me a night to get used to it, so the next few days I was fine. The bathrooms are functional but do not expect double sinks or marble countertops. They were squeaky clean and the maid even came around asking what supplies we needed before cleaning the room.
LOCATION. You really can’t ask for more. You are one block away from Bourbon Street, and only two blocks from Jackson Square. Literally in the middle of everything. Despite being so close to all the action, I never heard noise or any rowdy people, only the steps outside my room from guests returning to their rooms. A stroll to the other end of Bourbon will take you ten minutes if you don’t stop along, and it is also very close to the flea market, where you should head to get souvenirs and hand crafted stuff. It is close to all the good and popular restaurants, most of which were ignored by tourists.
NIGHTLIFE. Okay, so not really pertinent to the hotel review, but it’s the reason why everyone goes to Nola. As many a local will tell you, you go there to let loose, but be aware that police are strict and won’t tolerate any stupid behavior. Every time I go to Nola I witness at least one person getting arrested, some more rolling on the streets, and others behaving like children, or worse. Everything with moderation.
Overall, this was a great experience. They can improve greatly their service and maybe update the bedding while at it. Other than that, you will not find a better value for your buck, and will prefer staying here than somewhere in DT.

TIPS: Café du Monde has two locations. The one on Bourbon Street is almost never crowded. Walk and use public transportation, unless you have to travel outside the Quarter. Ask locals for recommendations and don’t think that because a place is bursting out with people is necessarily good.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2012

I read an awful lot about this place before deciding upon it and I am so glad I did.

I have to admit that I thought that the proximity to Burbon Street and the tales of emptying dustbins outside would cause me problems (as I've ears that could make a bat seem deaf), but they did not. I had rung up the place initially and found them really helpful and as time got nearer, I emailed them to say what sort of room I would like. This was one of the areas in which they almost lost a mark. The person who replied to me just said "we do not book specific rooms until you arrive, but we will take a note of what sort of room you would like for when you arrive". This seemed to contradict a lot of the reviews below and I told them that and that I was concerned about turning up late on a Friday of festival and that my room might be..less than ideal.

However, I need not have worried, as the room I had (Room 124) was ideal. It was on the "second courtyard", which is separated from the main swimming pool area by a narrow passageway which leads to a courtyard that parallels the main one (but which is narrower). Only thing that gave me concern was a bar area that backed onto our room and some scaffolding down the courtyard. However the bar is not in use, so was not a problem. Not sure I would have heard it anyway, as it backed on to our bathroom.

Corrie (?) the attendant / bell hop was really friendly and informative throughout. She refused a tip from us as she said it was too high. She was the best person they had there without doubt. She made it feel like home. She couldn't do enough for us and her tips were always dead on the money. Without her, they would have lost a star for sure... in both senses.

The room was large and the bed comfortable, though we asked for more hangers. We also had trouble with the hot water for a day or two until we realised that the taps all run cold for a while until one (in our case the nearest), runs hot. Could have maybe used another pillow too, but we asked for that and got it. There was a safe in the room, and although there was no fridge, there was an ice machine which we used to fill our cool bag. The room had a TV (we never used it), coffee machine, air con and bath / shower.

First night we had a huge storm and I thought "great its noisy" before I realised it was a storm and not a party. I also could hear a family above us to the extent I could hear their footsteps and their conversations, but it wasn't too bad. I really am a light sleeper (and wear ear plugs every night), so if this is a huge concern, then book a second floor room. I did not find it caused a problem for me though.

I've read reviews saying the pool was dirty. This just isn't true. The pool is surrounded by trees which overhang it and it looks lovely as a consequence. Its therefore got some leaves in it most of the time, but I found I could easily clear these out in 10 minutes. The pool is also salt water which is worth remembering. There are 4 sun loungers and 4 tables around the pool. It never got overly busy and although small, it did what it needed to do which was cool us down. we were there all hours and even after 11 when it was a small intimate area. I was not aware of any people being raucous or badly behaved at all while there.

Breakfast was not my thing at all. It was continental. So you had a muffin, croissant, pastry thing, fruit (apple and orange), fruit juice and tea and coffee. I skipped it after my first day and just had a fruit juice or a coffee in the room. You could drop a star for this if you MUST have breakfast, but for me it wasn't an issue. I didnt like it much, but that is me. You could get free coffee in this area 24/7. Oh and there were overpriced vending machines next to the ice machine, but I'd recommend a nearby market.

As I say, the place was an oasis. We would come in from the baking heat and enter the courtyard and would feel like home. The rooms are nothing special, but they are nice and cool (aircon is a bit noisy I thought), and the staff couldn't do enough for us. The cleaning staff were nice and friendly too. It really was a little sanctuary. Whenever I saw the fiickering lights outside the Place D'Armes, I really did feel I'd got home.

Last day, they had builders in working around the scaffolding and they started banging and crashing at 9am. Were I staying that day and tired, then I would have been... unimpressed. This should not happen in a hotel and hopefully they will read this and take note. Anything before 10 is unacceptable and even then, they need to tell people its going to happen.

Couple of times we had people outside our room at "our" table. But we went out and chatted to them and it was all fine. I didnt like it when the builders were outside our room chatting.

So, it has its flaws (emailing sucked, noise from upstairs, builders), but overall, the friendliness, location and the feeling of tranquillity more than made up for the flaws... hence full marks from a picky traveller.

Oh and location was SPOT on...

Room Tip: 124 is ground floor, second courtyard. I asked for a quiet room and got this. No view to speak of, b...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2012 via mobile

You couldn't ask for a better location in the French Quarter! We had a window room, and it was clean and well-decorated. We didn't expect high-dollar antique decor, since the room was affordable and not outrageously priced, and we were pleased with what we got. My husband and I have traveled a lot, so you come to know what to expect within certain dollar ranges. Place d'Armes didn't disappoint! Everything was clean, the staff was pleasant and knowledgeable, the courtyard was lush and serene, the pool was clean. And for being so close to Jackson Square it was really quiet! The only negatives we found were the bed springs were busted and quite saggy, but neither of us had a problem sleeping on it. And there was construction on a nearby building that started, loudly, at 8:00 in the morning. But I wouldn't think twice about staying there again!!

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank fantsypants
Texas
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Check in took a lot longer that it should have. More staff is needed to make sure rooms are ready, but this is a great place to stay. The location is perfect. It's clean, the staff is attentative, and the courtyard is beautiful. Great place to relax. I've been staying there for years, and every time I leave, I can't wait to get back.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family