“Perfect location....French Quarter”

Place d'Armes Hotel
Ranked #33 of 165 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Chose this hotel based upon Tripadvisor reviews and as usual the reviews were right. Last time in NO we stayed in Garden District, this time we wanted to be more in the heart of things, and you can't do much better than Place d'Armes. We never moved the bike the entire trip, walked everywhere or took the trolley. We had an awesome room overlooking the courtyard, it was the end room so wide room with a sofa sitting area and queen bed. Yes this is an older property like most here so hallways, elevators and bathrooms are on the small side; but the property is well maintained and very clean. Hubby walked to Cafe DuMond just down the street for beignets and we had breakfast in the courtyard. Very nice. And always finished our night off with a drink & cigar in the courtyard. It is very shelted with trees, lots of flowers...just feels so comfortable just like being at home. Continental breakfast is included but its just juice, coffee and pastries. Be prepared for parking fee, it's extra like most NO hotels.

Room Tip: Some rooms are very small so be sure to talk with staff to get the best room for you.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank flipflop48
There are newer reviews for Place d'Armes Hotel

Reviewed 24 August 2012

My family (me, my husband, and our two young children) stayed at Place d'Armes Hotel for two nights in August 2012. It was everything we were hoping for in a hotel. The hotel staff were so sweet and great at their respective jobs. Everyone, from the valets to the front desk staff to the cleaning staff, was wonderful.

Our room was beautiful. We stayed in one of the interior rooms (without windows), and I have to say I really liked it. My only complaints with the room are that the door to the bathroom didn't shut all the way and the TV reception wasn't great. Other than that, everything was perfect. The decor was very nice. We could hear some outside voices through our fireplace, but it wasn't ever a problem (none of us were ever kept awake by it).

We did not take advantage of the complimentary breakfasts the two mornings we were there (I heard from other guests that it was pretty good, as far as hotel breakfasts went) because the hotel was just a block away from Cafe du Monde. Jackson Square is right outside the hotel doors, pretty much. So, you can enjoy the view of the cathedral, some museum buildings, and a small park as you make your way to your delicious beignets at Cafe du Monde. There are also artists and musicians all along Jackson Square every day, as well as a few shops.

The French Market is only a couple of blocks down from Cafe du Monde. The hotel is within walking distance of Bourbon Street, as well. We did walk down to the Audubon Aquarium and Audubon Insectarium (both are only about a mile away from the hotel) on one of the days we were in New Orleans. It's not a very long walk, and you get to see so many shops and things along the way that it makes the trip fun.

The prices was also very, very good. We payed about $80 per night (on a Sunday night and Monday night), before taxes. Valet through the hotel is a bit expensive (about $30 per day), but if you don't plan on driving until you leave, I'd recommend doing it through the hotel. You never know if you'll find public parking near the hotel.

If we're ever in New Orleans again, we'll be staying at Place d'Armes. The location, staff, and quality of the hotel made our trip so wonderful. I will recommend this hotel to others who might be traveling that way.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2012

We have stayed at the Place d'Armes several times and it's the only place we will stay. Not interested in trying another hotel. Unbelievable price for the location, so close to Cafe Du Monde you can smell the beignets. We have stayed in the spacious, balcony rooms, as well as the cozy interior rooms and have been completely satisfied. Friendly staff and beautiful courtyard.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2012

This is a wonderful hotel with lots of charectar. We had a room in the Courtyard and it was just lovely. Lots of trees and plants, water fountain, swimming pool. You could almost forget where you are sitting there. Continental breakfast was okay. Same thing everyday, would had been nice if it was mixed up a bit...maybe bagels one day or sweet rolls. Room was a little dark for my liking. I would have preferred a brighter room. Cold water seemed to not exist...we were there in August so maybe the pipes are just not bringing cold water up. Room had a safe to use which was nice to have.

Hotel is located about 1/2 a block from Jackson Square. Lots of restaurants located close by. Best place if you want to be close to everything. River was 2 blocks away.

We enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Be careful when reserving your room. Do not reserve inner rooms...they don't have windows..unle...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Stayed two nights August 16& 17, 2012. Desk clerks were rude, hardly ever spoke to us. Had to wait 3 hours for our room to be ready. Hotel was very rustic and courtyard was beautiful. The cleaning staff was very nice. Good location, but just felt like they need some customer service training.

Room Tip: Rooms on second floor very nice and quiet
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Jimmie H
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights during 4th of July week, and absolutely loved it!

We had a balcony room over-looking St. Ann Street with 2 double beds. The room itself was very spacious, and the balcony was huge! The bathroom was a bit small, but that was no big deal. Our room was right next to the elevator, but we never heard a single noise from it.

As everyone else has said, the location cannot be beat.

The breakfast is nothing special, but with all of the great food in New Orleans, who needs hotel food?

I had mentioned when I booked the room (7 months in advance) that my friend and I were celebrating our birthdays...I won't say WHICH one.... When we checked in they asked who was having the birthday, and we told them that it was in between each of ours. When we returned to the room the first night, there was a chilled bottle of champagne in our room! We didn't need anything more to drink that night, so we put it in our fridge, and got OJ the next morning and made mimosas. This was such a nice touch!

As others have said, the front desk staff could be a little friendlier, but when I mentioned on our way out the second day that our television was making a strange noise, she did joke that maybe it was one of the ghosts. When we returned, the t.v. was fixed, but I think that it was maintenence who took care of it quickly, rather than a ghost...

Also, we had requested the fridge and expected to have to pay an additional fee for it, but there was none on our bill. Don't know if it was an oversight, but we didn't even notice until after we had left, so I didn't ask.

My husband and I will be retruning to New Orleans in a couple of years for a conference, and I plan to add a few nights before or after at Place d'Armes!! Maybe next time we'll get to experience one of the ghosts!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank joanskid
Reviewed 18 August 2012

I've stayed at this hotel twice now and I'm convinced its the only place I'd want to stay in Nola. Off a small side street, and literally two blocks from Bourbon street and right on Jackson square. You pay a bit to park there but its worth it since you're so close to everything, you can walk. Quaint hotel, nice rooms, and great service for an incredibly reasonable price...you can't beat it.

• Stayed: August 2012