“Has some problems, but mostly a great place.”

Place d'Armes Hotel
Ranked #27 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 20 March 2008

I have stayed at the Place d'Armes hotel many times pre-Katrina. My wife and I returned for the first time since the storm. It is still the best location and a hidden gem. The courtyards are really beautiful. There are some rooms that exit directly to courtyard. I generally stay in the cheaper "no window" rooms.
The owners have newly decorated the interiors and it is comperable to any little boutique type hotel. The interior rooms can be "dark", not so much due to the lack of windows, but the lack of bright bulbs in the room. This is a great place for older travelers because of the location. However, older travelers be aware of the lack of bright light in some of the rooms, and some rooms are accesible only via stairs.
This is not a perfect hotel by any means, as some of the reviews may suggest. The building is old, but maintained fairly well. The main problem seems to be lack of housekeeping staff. We arrived at 12pm, checked our bags and the room was ready at 5pm. That is fast for this hotel. On the next three days, there were 15-20 people waiting for their rooms to be ready, well past 6pm.
Also, when we arrived, there was no remote for the tv. After two calls, one came.
The staff are mostly friendly, especially the bellcaps.However, the breakfast lady was not very friendly. I felt as if she thought I was going to steal something. I am sure she is just trying to be attentive, but it came across as overbearing. It would help if she smiled. In four days, I never saw her smile, not once. Not even after a five dollar tip. The rest of the staff, especially the housekeeping staff, were very friendly. I am not sure that all the staff realizes that friendliness makes a difference when people go to a hotel. It does to me.
Speaking of the breakfast, go get a real one from a restuarant, or better yet, get some bienyets from Cafe D'Monde. It is only a block away, as is "The Coffee Pot" which has the best omlettes in town.
The "Continental Breakfast" here(Place d'Arms) comprises of croissants (a tad stale sometimes) and on somedays a cinnamon roll is available. They provide coffee and orange juice.
All in all, this is still a great place, as long as you have a back up plan for what you will do with your time if your room is not ready.
I hope this helps anyone considering the Place d' Arms.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank dbaughart
Write a ReviewReviews (2,418)

Reviewed 20 March 2008

I just got back from staying at the hotel with a bunch of my friends, and we all had a great stay. I booked 3 rooms, never having seen the hotel before except for pictures on the computer and was very pleased. I stayed in a room that overlooked the courtyard. It was like we had our own private area, with some french style doors that opened onto a large private balcony. the other rooms were very nice also with different layouts, but i would definately recommend a courtyard room if available. The staff was very friendly as well. I would recommend this hotel to all different types of people. It is about 2 blocks away from the all the cool stuff in the French Quarter, and also only 1 block away from Bourbon street. Lots of things to do. very convenient.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kennedy311
Reviewed 8 March 2008

Just returned from 5 days at Place D'Armes Hotel 625 St. Ann Street near Jackson Square. Beautiful old hotel with courtyards, pool, continental bkfst, centrally located with attentive staff. Need to select courtyard room. New Orleans is up & running. There are still a few vacant shops & restaurants in the French Quarter but for the most part everything is operating well. We have visited New Orleans many times pre-Katrina, now recommend traveling to New Orleans once again.
Ellen from San Diego, CA

3  Thank dragyi
Reviewed 5 March 2008

My husband and I (from Northern VA) got married in the French Quarter on Feb. 24, 2008. We (and most of our guests) booked rooms for the weekend at this hotel. I cannot say enough about this establishment. The rooms are amazing, the courtyard, pool, and breakfast rooms are incredible - but to top it all off the service (staff) was phenomenal. To give a perfect example, I realized the day of my wedding that I had forgotten my garter belt. My bridesmaid called down to the front desk for a recommendation of where to get one... the manager personally took the call and said not to worry, she'd have someone from the staff bring one up. She sent someone from the hotel to find the much needed item, and had it up to my room in 20 minutes- and it was perfect. They bent over backwards for us the whole weekend - we'll never stay anywhere else when we are in town. Perfect place! 100% perfect.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family
4  Thank ofines
Reviewed 4 March 2008

We've been going to Jazz Fest since the beginning and stayed all over town, in Slidell, in top hotels and the cheapest ones we could find. Nothing beats the Place d'Armes.

In years that kept us from attending Jazz Fest, we've sent family and friends to experience the hotel so we would never lose our standing reservation.

On top of the location, the staff has always been wonderful! They've been helpful, courteous, caring and accommodating. It's like coming home, year after year.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with friends
3  Thank matthewboh
Reviewed 2 March 2008

This is a great hotel in the heart of The Quarter, right behind St. Louis Cathedral, 2 blocks from Bourbon Street, 1 block to Cafe du Monde and a 5 minute walk to Frenchmen's Street and the jazz clubs(65 minutes, or more, if you stop for a drink at Coop's). It is a very well maintained property, locally owned with a beautiful court yard and caring staff.

Simply put it is the only place to stay if you care about price and convenience. I have stayed here on all my trips to N.O.LA ( 5 weeks or so each year since Katrina), except for 2 nights last year when the hotel was booked. On that trip I stayed at the Hilton and while it was an efficient business class hotel, it wasn't friendly. I am not a morning person and stay out listening to jazz until the wee hours. In the mornings, at the Place, on the way down to the beautiful breakfast room both guests and staff say hello. Frankly a little jarring to my sleepy self. Well, there was none of that to be bothered with at the Hilton. Nobody said hello, and there was no free, continental breakfast.

Most importantly, the hotel is owned by a local family that cares about the city. The money you spend to stay there will stay in New Orleans: only part of the money you leave at the chain hotels will stay in New Orleans. If you love New Orleans you will stay local, shop and eat local and help New Orleans get back to pre K levels.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled solo
4  Thank hermesMaine
Reviewed 29 February 2008

I have stayed at the Place D Armes several times over the past year when I travel to New Orleans for business. I have never had a bad experience at the hotel. My rooms have always been clean, the bedding comfortable, and the staff friendly and helpful. I usually stay in the interior room without the window because of price. I figure I am not in the room enough to have it make a great deal of difference. Most of the rooms are different sizes and layouts but I have had no problems with any of them. Just remember this is an old establishment. It is not a new cookie cutter chain.

The hotel is well located, at Jackson Square. It is close to the attractions of the Quarter with out so much of the noise.

As I have mentioned before, the breakfast could be a better, change something from time to time. It has been croissants and a sweet roll along with coffee and orange juice every time. It is still better than having to go out however. If you want more, there are several place offering full breakfasts close by.

I have no hesitation recommending this hotel to anyone. And no I do not work for the hotel or its management.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled on business