“Best Vacation Ever!”

Ranked #38 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
St. Petersburg
“Best Vacation Ever!”
Reviewed 6 May 2008

Place d' Arms was the highlight of our trip to New Orleans! Besides being in the perfect location, right in the heart of the French Quarter, the accomodations were perfect and the ambiance was out of this world. Mornings were spent in the glorious courtyard sipping the delicious coffee and eating the fabulous croissants - we enjoyed the breakfasts there better than Cafe du Monde, which was only a block away! And after a long day of sighseeing, we couldn't wait to get back to the courtyard for cocktails and the lovely weather and fragrant smells of the honeysuckle in bloom! Our courtyard double room was a perfect size for the 3 of us, with a nice separate bathroom and dressing area, so we could have privacy. The staff were accomodating and kept us in good supply of extra coffee each day, since we are big coffee drinkers. Everything was perfect and I would definitely recommend Place d' Arms to anyone who wants a relaxing vacation in NOLA.

Stayed April 2008
1 Thank sugar111

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (629)
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 3 May 2008

We just returned from a 1 week stay at the Place d'Armes Hotel. I would say that this hotel has both good and bad points. First the good - the hotel is a historic building so don't expect cookie-cutter rooms - they all have their own character. The buildings are beautiful and the courtyard is absolutely gorgeous (a couple got married there during our stay). We stayed in a room facing Chartres street and could see St. Louis Cathedral from the balcony. I was worried about the street noise but had no trouble sleeping. The location of this hotel is perfect. We were close to all the French Quarter attractions but far enough away from Bourbon St. that we didn't hear the partying. The desk staff were very accommodating and even let me use the manager's office to check my flight.

Now for the not so good - the rooms are older and could use an update. The carpet in our room was stained and I don't think it was vacuumed once during our stay. If you don't put your used towels in the bathtub the cleaning people will fold them and set them on the counter for you to use again. The tub in our room drained slowly so by mid-point in your shower you were standing in an inch of water. This left soap scum in the tub that was not cleaned daily. Our toilet backed up one day and when my husband talked to the staff about it they gave him a plunger and a bunch of towels "in case it overflows". The plunger then remained in our bathroom for the rest of our stay (although the cleaning staff did take away all the extra towels).

Even with the negatives I recommend staying at this hotel - mostly because of the location and the beautiful buildings and garden. Just remember that all older building have their problems.

This was our first time in NOLA and it was wonderful. The people are welcoming and so glad to have visitors back after Katrina. If you go, make sure to have your palm read by Jerick in Jackson Square, go to Johnny's Po'boys for lunch, the Palm Court for a wonderful dinner and live jazz, and of course Cafe du Monde for the beignets.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Lack of cleanliness
1 Thank KathyVancouver_BC
louisiana
Reviewed 30 April 2008

My fiance at the time decided to surprise me and take me on a romantic motorcycle ride to new orleans..we took off and when we got there he took me to this hotel he had heard about , which happened to be this one..the rooms were nice and very romantic...we had a great time that weekend....and the staff was excellent....Unfortnately, my fiance was killed two months ago in a motorcycle accident.....i miss him very much, but I often think of the fond memories of this quaint hotel and the romantic trip.......I recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to get away for the weekend with the person they love......I will stay here again soon.
Thanks for the memories!

Stayed June 2007
1 Thank dlphn_lvr28
New York
Reviewed 25 April 2008

I wished someone warned me about how dirty this hotel is.
I'm surprised at all the great reviews and no mention about cleanliness. The carpet, towels, blankets and pillows had many noticable stains. The mattress and pillows were very uncomfortable. The rooms are all different, many very small. We requested a street balcony. We got a public street balcony and a very small room for the price of a deluxe room. The pool only had 3 tables and about 4 or 5 lounge chairs, and they were always occupied. The positives, price and great location, in my opinion do not make up for the discomfort of the stay.

• Liked — The location and character
  • Disliked — Room small and dirtly
3 Thank bo1790
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 24 April 2008

After reading all the reviews on Trip Advisor- I booked two rooms directly with the hotel. In the comments section online- I requested two rooms with balconies. When we arrived at the hotel- we were checked in quickly and were given rooms 228 and 229. They were located right off the hotel lobby and had huge awesome balconies facing St Ann Street.

The room was clean if a bit worn. I thought our room (228) was huge and it had a ton of charm. I thought the customer service was great. The front lobby employees always had a smile for us. They helped booked us a cemetery tour- always available to give directions- and we were able to check out in a few minutes. They even got us a cab and we only had to wait about 5 minutes for the cab!

The breakfast was OK if you need a quick start with juice and coffee. I ate at cafe Du Monde anyways every day. And the location is perfect.

Now to the negatives which are not the fault of the hotel. We used our balconies everyday and we loved people watching on the street. You could hear and be a part of the ghost tours that stopped in front of the hotel as well. However- every morning at 4:00 AM- these garbage trucks stopped in front of the hotel across the street and made a heck of racket. EVERY DAY we were there (4 days- 3 nights). And at 7:30 AM- you could hear the church bells ring for Mass. That didn't bother me as much as those garbage trucks. So just beware of the noise.

• Liked — Location, Our Room Balcony, Historic Charm
  • Disliked — Noise from the garbage trucks
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank bbb92
burnley u.k.
Reviewed 23 April 2008

the two of us stayed 4 nights mid-April , booked in advance from trip advisor reviews infor. Secured a deluxe room (with windows) -- - some rooms do not have any windows! Found a really nice hotel ,lovely courtyard, clean room whose position just off Jackson Square ideal for all NO attractions yet like a beautiful oasis away from it all .The staff were great , ideal place to be!

• Liked — the position
  • Disliked — rooms without windows
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank davidcarol
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 April 2008

This hotel is simply amazing. It has old-world style, character and charm. The room was lovely, and we were fortunate enough to get a balcony room that overlooked Jackson Square. The courtyard is one of the prettiest in New Orleans. We found the staff extremely friendly and pleasant. They bend over backwards to accommodate guests. Lyn at the front desk was a joy to deal with.

I was amazed at how quiet and peaceful the hotel was. Being just 2 blocks from Bourbon, and literally across the street from Jackson Square, it was amazingly quiet.

My only complaint would have to be that the bathroom area is a bit small, and the doors are basically just louvered shutters. Doors that afford a bit more privacy would be nice- but this is a minor detail, as the room was perfect for our needs.

We will definitely be staying here again.

• Liked — Beautiful, historical buildings, courtyard
  • Disliked — small bathrooms with flimsy doors
1 Thank Ghostl8y