“Genuine New Oreans almost for free”

Place d'Armes Hotel
Ranked #25 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 18 May 2008

OK.....if you don't want to experience REAL New Orleans, go to a $1000/night generic chain hotel then wonder what New Orleans was all about.
This place.....is 1950's New Orleans....you expect Tennessee Williams and Blanche Dubois to come strolling by any moment.
The Courtyard is beautiful (the hotel was THE New Orleans Hotel and courtyard in the Dana Delany movie "Back to Eden."
The location is INCREDIBLE...two steps for Cafe' Du Monde, Bourbon Street, Gumbo House, Layfayette Square, but on a very quiet side street. New Orlean's major hotels are surprisingly inconveniently located with a hot, muggy, smelly walk to get anywehre...this hotel IS where you walk to!
The nightly rate is unbelieveable....they almost give the rooms away in a city that is known for expensive rooms. Let's be honest...you are buying......a bed to sleep in, NOT a gourmet room. The beds, furniture, carpets, A/C are probably from the 1950's....but wow, for the location and price...what more do you need? A beautiful courtyard, a fun 1950's pool, and LOCATION!
You can shop/come rest/ eat/come rest drink/come rest.
Why pay $1000 then walk a mile to get to Jackson Square?
We found this place after paying a TON for the Windsor Court and getting a filthy room overlooking the business district, a mile from Jackson Square. We came here for $100, we right on Jackson Square....and got a tired, but acceptably-clean room.
I loved it. (My fastidious wife didn't.)

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled with family
3  Thank LTownsendMD
Write a ReviewReviews (2,423)

Reviewed 15 May 2008

Upon arrival, our room was not quite ready. This gave us some time to explore a little bit of The French Quarter and our car was taken to the parking garage.

Once our room was ready our bags were taken to our room by a nice elderly gentleman. The room we stayed in had no windows, but was quiet and cozy. We had a lovely balcony just steps from our room. There was a gorgeous view of The St. Louis Cathedral and we were able to hear the chimes of the Cathedral and watch horse drawn carriages down below.

Every morning we were greated by Mary, a lfriendly and ovely woman who set up coffee and danish for breakfast..

The Front Desk Personel were helpful and friendly when we had questions about places to eat, tours to take and directions.

At night we were awakened by noises that seemed to be furniture moving around above our room and laughter "The place is haunted you know!!!!"

We can't wait to go back to Place d'Armes Hotel. We had a wonderful time and let our imaginations go crazy.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank travelingshepherds
Reviewed 14 May 2008

Location is perfect - on the end of Jackson Square - 2 blocks to Bourbon & a quick sprint to Cafe du Monde.

The hotel has been lovingly restored, but has not addressed the onerous issues of maintenance and refurbishment. The A/C is
appalling- recirculating mold spores is hardly pleasant & non opening windows only magnifies the problem. The hotel needs a serious HVAC overhaul. Yes, New Orleans is 'tropical', but that is no excuse for an outdated & ineffiecent system.

Thank heavens for the VERY lovely courtyard. It is well cared for, thoughtful in design - tables & chairs galore, nooks and crannies and a sweet dipping pool. Next to location, it is the hotels most notable feature.

Our room was well sized, but everything was WEARY. The beds were over slept in ,judging by the lumps and the sheets were very thin and the pillows more so. The bathroom was adequate, but far less luxurious than the room rate. The drain in the tub was stubborn, as well as the sink. Towels were thin and edging towards being ragged. Housekeeping tried to plump the worn coverlets and pillows each day.

Staff was pleasant, but scattered. It took 3 tries to find our room
( the hotel is designed like maze!) Good bell hops in summoning taxi's on time. Breakfast attendant kept the area clean and well stocked ( note: unless weak coffee and Sam's Club boxed pastries are your idea of heaven - walk the 45 seconds to Cafe Du Monde). Garden staff are phonomenal.

All in all, a wonderful spot to explore the French Quarter and a
sweet spot to relax in the courtyard, but a mildewy, tired place to retire into.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jamison
Reviewed 9 May 2008

When my husband and I arrived at the Place D’Armes, I felt absolutely transported back in time. Standing under the gas lights in the beautiful brick entranceway, I could imagine myself in another century, and I could hear the locals chattering away in an 18th Century French patois. If I closed my eyes I could imagine them in their finery, dressing up for a night on the town filled with good food, wine and social intrigue, perhaps even a brush with a handsome Vampyre.

And that’s what I had hoped for, so my visit here was perfect. If the setting and location is not your top priority, then you’d be better off at a chain hotel whose focus is on service and pampering alone. If you would prefer to really submerge yourself in the local culture and get a feel for the heart of New Orleans, then Place D’Armes is for you.

As for the accommodations themselves, we found the rooms to be clean. They vary in size and “stature” but if you ask, the hotel staff is extremely forthcoming about what to expect. They warned us repeatedly that our room was an interior one, without windows, so we were not disappointed to find we had no view.

Frankly, as we were there during the height of Jazz Fest, the lack of windows provided silence and a darkened room when we found we preferred sleep to the bustle and activity out on the street. I would love at some point to have a street balcony, but would expect it to be loud and perhaps something best appreciated by 30 something’s out for a great time in the Quarter.

This hotel is old and that is its charm. The rooms were really pretty, in that authentically French Quarter sort of way. The staff was friendly, authentic, helpful and really cheerful, in spite of the fact that many of them were still displaced from their own homes or had family who was still struggling, even after three years.

If the plumbing was a bit faulty due to the age of the building and the lack of tourism dollars to perhaps repair it entirely, I didn't find any minor discomforts I couldn't overlook. We had a “sink issue” and the hotel took care of it for us, but it did take until the next morning. None of these minor problems impacted our visit. I felt that the tiny difficulties we had were negligible, and certainly understandable, in light of what New Orleans has been through in recent years. This is, after all, a City struggling to, in the words of Marc Cohn "Dance Back From the Grave."

It is easy to forget this, and to evaluate the city and its inhabitants as though their lives are like our own, and to perhaps hold them to standards we would expect in New York or San Francisco. But I know from the tour I took of the devastation left by Katrina, that contractors are in short supply, and there is little that has been done. This is a town that is still missing two-thirds of it’s population, is still waiting for almost non-existent government assistance for damage done by a monumental national disaster. Everywhere I went I was met with kindness and a smile, if not the “speediest” service or attention. But after all, it is the South, and they just don't move at the frantic speed we do on the Coasts. It may be that they have a better appreciation of the fafact that life is, indeed "too short."

If they need some slack, I’m going to be inclined to give it to them.
I loved this hotel, and it's staff, and its location and I will definitely make it my new home in New Orleans.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Mzscahlett
Reviewed 7 May 2008

I am not one to post reviews at all, but this place moved me to tell the world not to waste their money. If you book here, take airfreshner, your own bedding and towels, and a high tolerance for being treated rudely!
We had an interior room for jazzfest, and it was awful! There were no windows, so good luck knowing if it's the middle of the night, 11 in the morning, sunny, or pouring rain out.
The room's air conditioning units were pumping out a foul smelling 'moldy' odor, that the staff seemed to not care about. We spent $30 extra dollars at Walgreens to purchase our own de-odorizers, which only masked the stench. When given the key to an alternate room, we found it stunk worse that the original!!!
The room was filthy, we found a presntation board, from a previous guest, under our bed that was dated 2002, if that tells you anything about the cleaning staff's dedication. It seemed that everyday as we were leaving the hotel, the cleaning staff was always sitting in other rooms watching tv and lounging around.
In addition to outragous room rates, we were charged $25 a day plus tax for parking!! Plenty of other Quarter hotels don't charge if you are a guest!
And the kicker is, the front desk staff got caught talking smack about us as we were leaving the hotel. And although we called hotel managment on it, we still saw the same staffers in the lobby each evening of our stay. So, I felt uncomfortable the entirity of my stay, everytime I came or went through the lobby area. And beware, this hotel is owned and operated by a company that owns two others in the area, so beware of them also!
The only positives about this place were that it had a beautiful courtyard and an extremely friendly and helpful parking staff!!!! (you can find that almost anywhere in the Quarted by the way!)

• Stayed: May 2008
4  Thank niugirl21
Reviewed 6 May 2008

Place d' Arms was the highlight of our trip to New Orleans! Besides being in the perfect location, right in the heart of the French Quarter, the accomodations were perfect and the ambiance was out of this world. Mornings were spent in the glorious courtyard sipping the delicious coffee and eating the fabulous croissants - we enjoyed the breakfasts there better than Cafe du Monde, which was only a block away! And after a long day of sighseeing, we couldn't wait to get back to the courtyard for cocktails and the lovely weather and fragrant smells of the honeysuckle in bloom! Our courtyard double room was a perfect size for the 3 of us, with a nice separate bathroom and dressing area, so we could have privacy. The staff were accomodating and kept us in good supply of extra coffee each day, since we are big coffee drinkers. Everything was perfect and I would definitely recommend Place d' Arms to anyone who wants a relaxing vacation in NOLA.

Stayed: April 2008
1  Thank sugar111
Reviewed 3 May 2008

We just returned from a 1 week stay at the Place d'Armes Hotel. I would say that this hotel has both good and bad points. First the good - the hotel is a historic building so don't expect cookie-cutter rooms - they all have their own character. The buildings are beautiful and the courtyard is absolutely gorgeous (a couple got married there during our stay). We stayed in a room facing Chartres street and could see St. Louis Cathedral from the balcony. I was worried about the street noise but had no trouble sleeping. The location of this hotel is perfect. We were close to all the French Quarter attractions but far enough away from Bourbon St. that we didn't hear the partying. The desk staff were very accommodating and even let me use the manager's office to check my flight.

Now for the not so good - the rooms are older and could use an update. The carpet in our room was stained and I don't think it was vacuumed once during our stay. If you don't put your used towels in the bathtub the cleaning people will fold them and set them on the counter for you to use again. The tub in our room drained slowly so by mid-point in your shower you were standing in an inch of water. This left soap scum in the tub that was not cleaned daily. Our toilet backed up one day and when my husband talked to the staff about it they gave him a plunger and a bunch of towels "in case it overflows". The plunger then remained in our bathroom for the rest of our stay (although the cleaning staff did take away all the extra towels).

Even with the negatives I recommend staying at this hotel - mostly because of the location and the beautiful buildings and garden. Just remember that all older building have their problems.

This was our first time in NOLA and it was wonderful. The people are welcoming and so glad to have visitors back after Katrina. If you go, make sure to have your palm read by Jerick in Jackson Square, go to Johnny's Po'boys for lunch, the Palm Court for a wonderful dinner and live jazz, and of course Cafe du Monde for the beignets.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple