“Location x 3”

Place d'Armes Hotel
Ranked #33 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 10 June 2008

Less than a block from Jackson Square and only a little further to Cafe du Monde and the Moon Walk and other attractions means the location and charm makes this a great place to stay. If you want local charm, old buildings with balcony and period furniture, rather than American bland, you will like this place. Breakfast is light, good coffee, orange juice, selection of furit flavored pasties, and rather tough croissants but can be eatern inside in dining area or sunroom, or outside in lovely courtyard. Just as well to have light hotel breakfast and eat more later in the wonderful restaurants in the Quarter. Staff was friendly and helpful. Have had inside room with no windows and much nicer room on outside with balcony. Parking by the hotel can cost extra if not in reservation that includes it.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank MsRed

Reviewed 9 June 2008

This was the third time we have stayed at the Place d'Armes. It will be the last. Yes it has a great location and the pool courtyard is very picturesque. That still does not make up for a dirty hotel.
At the end of the second day, our room was not serviced by housekeeping. My wife found us fresh towels on a cart at the pool area. Hotel staff later delivered us clean wash cloths and did not offer to clean and straighten the room. They claimed we put out the "Do Not Disturb" sign. We did put out the sign but it read "Maid Service, Please".
On the morning of our third day, I found fingernail clippings in the bed I had been sleeping in. We stripped the beds of the linens and searched the rest of the room for filth. I found a pair of men's underwear on top of the television armoir! We immediately went to the front desk and talked a manager. She apologized, comped my parking fees for our entire stay, and promised that the room would be cleaned before we return. We did return a little over five hours later. When we got to our room, there was a "Do Not Disturb" sign hanging on the doorknob. This surprised us because we did not put it there. We opened the door and our room was exactly like we had left it. Housekeeping had not touched our room at all! I went back the the front desk and I spoke with the same manager again. She used the excuse that since the sign was hanging on the door, housekeeping could not touch the room. This just enfuriated me more, especially since she saw my family and me go into the parking garage to leave for the day. She knew that we would return mid-afternoon and they still did nothing with the room. The manager told me to go back to the room to meet with the new housekeeping supervisor. When she did get to the room I showed her what we were so upset about. She did give us her apoligies that followed that with excuses: 1. She is new to the job. 2. It takes time to train the staff. 3. She had to come from another building (read hotel). 4. Housekeeping staff was following the "Do Not Disturb" sign request.
My wife and I talked this over and we decided to cut our vacataion short so we checked out and left. We are lucky enough to have relatives just 2 hours away.
Later that night I did get to speak with Mr. Volentine, the general manager. He offered his apologies and admitted that "The ball was dropped not once but twice in the mishandling of this whole situation". He offered other incentives to get us to try Place d'Armes again. Even with the offer of gas reimbursement we are never going back to that hotel. I have worked in the people service industry for more than 28 years. I feel that qualifies me to say that I did not detect an ounce of sincerity in any of the apologies, much less the excuses, that we received.
Please, protect yourself and your family. Go as far back in the reviews as January 1, 2008. There are other complaints. I believe just like some other reviewers, that hotel staff or other administrators must be the ones giving this place such a favorable review score. I read those same reviews. The first two times we stayed there without incident . We tried them for a third time and are shocked that this is what happened to us.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Jrfox
Reviewed 9 June 2008

The charming Place D'Armes setting is what one seeks in New Orleans. Conveniently located on a quiet side street , it's an easy walk to anywhere in the French Quarter, including the famous bignet and coffee spot to major restaurants, the Riverwalk, antique stores, and, of course Burbon Street. The courtyard is simply lovely, the pool is clean and well-maintained, and the rooms are individual in style rather than step-and-repeat hotel fashion.

What made our stay special was the outstanding personal attention and warmth of the staff. I had just completed a business trip to a Ritz location and had a fresh comparison. While the Ritz service is legendary, this location had shabby and dirty carpet as well as A/C issues. While staff said "sorry" with great warmth, they did nothing to rectify or change my situation.

Upon arriving at Place D'Armes, my husband and I had an "inconvenience". Not only was it immediately addressed by a lovely Linda Cooper, the Executive Housekeeper, but the vigilant and consistently attentive Lyn Castenada, Front Desk Supervisor, told Warren Valentino, the General Manager who asked to speak with me personally. I was stunned!

My husband and I had some suggestions. They were implemented WHILE WE WERE VISITING! Mr. Valentino checked in with us several times during our four day stay.

But this hotel went above and beyond. I was part of a meeting group. When they learned that many of us were there for the same purpose, they accommodated us as individuals and as a group in many small and thoughtful ways. Linda Cooper went out of her way on more than one occasion to help (even hunting down a pair of scissors!). Equally important, every time we crossed paths in the courtyard, she greeted me with a nod of recognition and a smile.

The morning croissants and pastry breakfast was enhanced by the simply delicious coffee of Miss Mary (Kelly). That coffee was every bit as good as in Cafe DuMonde, and I enjoyed several cups each morning.

Here's the criteria for evaluating a hotel: Would I stay there again? Absolutely.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank ednol1942
Reviewed 5 June 2008

Place d'Armes Hotel is an absolutely WONDERFUL charming hotel. We stayed for 6 days this time and thoroughly enjoyed the courtyard and pool area. This rustic hotel is beautifully maintained and the ENTIRE staff are very friendly and fun. We visit New Orleans every year and have stayed at Place d'Armes many times. It is now our permanent vacation destination. The hotel is reasonably priced and you meet people of all ages. So don't worry if you're too young or too old. You will just LOVE the courtyard. It's quiet, centrally located right near Jackson Square in the French Quarter so you're close to lots of shops, restaurants, casino, EVERYTHING! It's just a perfect, wonderful, cozy atmosphere. I recommend this hotel to everyone. We had a great time & I can't wait until it's time to go back next year.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank ABCFellowes
Reviewed 5 June 2008

Beautiful atmosphere! The rooms were a bit dingy for the price but you don't come to New Orleans to stay in your hotel room for hours. Also, we were put in a ground floor room directly across from the elevator. Avoid at all costs if you can!! Reception was very nice and the location can't be beat. My only complaint is that as soon as we checked out and were in the cab heading to the airport I realized with alarm that I had left my brand new, very expensive prescription glasses on the nightstand in the case. I called the hotel immediately (we had only been gone 10 mintues) and they said that room service had not found anything. I know they were lying so that was a bit of a let down. But other than that, it's a charming hotel.

1  Thank Casey81597
Reviewed 4 June 2008

Going to the Big Easy?

Want a hotel that is quiet but close to all of the action in the Quarter?
Interested in escaping from the heat of the afternoon sun to a pool nestled in one of the Quarter's most beautiful courtyards?

Have I got a hotel for you!

It's none other than the wonderful Place d'Armes hotel.

Literally steps away from Jackson Square in the heart of the French Quarter, the Place d'Armes hotel is, in my opinion, the BEST in ambiance and value. My wife and I have stayed at a number of other hotels in and around the French Quarter over the past 20 years and none of them compares to Place d'Armes. We simply won't stay anywhere else, it is just that great.

The staff was decimated by Katrina and things were a little shaky for about a year but they have gotten everything back together and the hotel is better than it was pre-Katrina. You won't find a nicer bunch of folks from valets, desk clerks, maid service, etc.

Here are some reasons why we love the Place d'Armes so much:

* Less than two blocks from Bourbon St. and our favorite spot: Fritzels European Jazz Bar
* Less than two blocks from Cafe Du Monde (gotta hava java & beignet to start the day!)
* A short walk to Frenchmen St.
* Obscenely quiet despite its location in the center of the French Quarter
* $20 a day in & out parking facility (Katrina taught us to ALWAYS rent a car when in NOLA)
* Courtyard and pool is always well tended and essential on hot afternoons
* Close to all the great shopping everywhere in the Quarter

In closing I will say that we have never had a bad experience at the Place d'Armes and we've been staying there for about ten years now. This hotel is the delicious icing on the beautiful cake of New Orleans. Bon Temps!!

Bob & Cheryl

P.S. Check out the pix we took of the courtyard in May 2008. If these photos don't convince you then.........

1  Thank NotarySojac
Reviewed 3 June 2008

Stayed at your hotel, Place de Arms, May 27-30, how interesting to lodge in a strange city and have the privilege to meet so many hotel guests due to the uniqueness of your court yard. We had researched and thusideas as to where to visit, tour or dine. Yet during breakfast or other times when one wishes to enjoy the courtyard the ambiance allows for guests to visit which allows for one to know first had if the proposed establishment is really good. We had planed to dine at a well advertised restaurant, however the talk that morning from others was very negative, so we dined at another recommended and it was GREAT. I will return and will strive to get a reservation with you. By the way, your staff are very well trained in how to make patrons deserving of their stay. It is a wonderfully centrally located establisment, thank you!
Glenn L. Miller